Register now to remove this ad

Page 190 of 190 FirstFirst ... 90140180188189190
Results 2,836 to 2,843 of 2843

Thread: The Pen

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    I am surprised that you liked bringing back Pearce and Nunez.
    Short term deals for bench/platoon players. I have no issue with either contract. Same thing with Moreland.

Quote Originally Posted by dgalehouse View Post
    I have to disagree . An experienced G.M. thinking he could lose Kimbrel and Kelly from his bullpen without it making a difference is foolish. He needed to do something. To me it seems like he was complacent and overconfident. Flush with success and maybe a little smug .
    We will have to disagree on this. I just have a different opinion on building a bullpen than most people have. Dombrowski replaced Kimbrel and Kelly. He just didn't replace them with the well known names.

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    The Yanks and Rays have used openers with bulk starters afterwards. The Sox havenít done that yet, using traditional starters. So their pen numbers are true. The Rays and ours, not so much
    Also, our starters were supposed to be our strength, carrying the load for the pen.

People can blame the pen as much as they want. They have been bad. But it starts with the rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Does this mean we're done bashing Ben?
    Ha. Perfect post.

#BringBenBack

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Personally I think the only thing DD should have done differently this season was do more about the bullpen.

Most of the rest comes down to shit happens.

If it was that easy to repeat, someone else would have done it this century. It's all been one and dones.

And we have 3 or 4 more titles than almost every other team this century. I'll take it.
    This season is not on Dombrowski.

It's on the players not performing to their expectations and randomness. Maybe some on Cora.

As I said many times in my defense of Ben, when the pre-season projections, both analytic and non-analytic, agree that the Sox should be one of the top 2-3 teams in baseball, then the GM has done his job.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    I think we have a great owner. He has brought us those 4 titles. He is driven to win. We have the highest payroll. I have no real complaints. If others want to complain that's their prerogative, but no one should tell me I'm not a good fan. I've paid my dues. I've been with this team since the late Sixties. I've been through hell, just like every other Sox fan who's been with them that long.
    Since this ownership group took over, I have felt that going into every season, the team had a legitimate chance of making the playoffs. That's really all we can ask for as fans.

Quote Originally Posted by OH FOY! View Post
    Sox are the one of the biggest analytical teams in baseball, they use every letter in alphabet, on Stats. Nobody is signed unless the Nerds say so.
    Do you think the Nerds would suggest that Dombrowski sign Pearce based on the emotion of the WS?

The same type of thing was said when the Sox signed Panda, that they were fooled by his postseason performance.

Give the GMs some credit. They are smarter than that, even the non-analytic ones. The Nerds would definitely not be fooled by post season heroics.

Hmm. I wonder if Lucchino is still pulling strings from somewhere behind the curtains.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    Do you think the Nerds would suggest that Dombrowski sign Pearce based on the emotion of the WS?

The same type of thing was said when the Sox signed Panda, that they were fooled by his postseason performance.

Give the GMs some credit. They are smarter than that, even the non-analytic ones. The Nerds would definitely not be fooled by post season heroics.

Hmm. I wonder if Lucchino is still pulling strings from somewhere behind the curtains.
    Pearce had some very good regular season numbers over the prior 2-3 regular seasons. I don't think the post season numbers were the only reason DD decided to sign him.
    Sox 4 Ever