Register now to remove this ad

Page 35 of 37 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 LastLast

Thread: 2019 Prospects

Legend
    These are splits this year.
    http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp...ng/2019/MINORS

He hit .237 with the 21 HRS, but he struck out 106 times in 287 at bats. Against RHP, against Lefties forget it.
    You sure put a lot of value in HRS. You must have loved Dave Kingman. To me there is more then just Power to a Player.
    I look at it this way a guy that Crushes RHP, shouldn't strike out so many times.
    Batting 4th with the Power he has he hit .137 for the year, he hit a little better at the bottom of the order.
    Probably send him home, and hope he forgets this year. IMO.
    Last edited by OH FOY!; 09-03-2019 at 04:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OH FOY! View Post
    These are splits this year.
    http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp...ng/2019/MINORS

He hit .237 with the 21 HRS, but he struck out 106 times in 287 at bats. Against RHP, against Lefties forget it.
    You sure put a lot of value in HRS. You must have loved Dave Kingman. To me there is more then just Power to a Player.
    I look at it this way a guy that Crushes RHP, shouldn't strike out so many times.
    Batting 4th with the Power he has he hit .137 for the year, he hit a little better at the bottom of the order.
    Probably send him home, and hope he forgets this year. IMO.
    You totally neglect OBP, which is much more important than BA.

If you want to "forget" a .379 OBP vs RHPs, you're missing the boat.

21 HRs in 356 PAs is about 35 HRs per 650.

I'll take .379 with 35 HRs and 180 Ks per 650 anyday of the week. It's better than Chavis, Travis and Dalbec's numbers and even better than Moreland/Pearce.

2019 is not a fluke. In 2018, he had a .393 OBP and 18 HRs in 336 PAs vs RHPs.

That's about 34 HRs over 650.

2 years combined: 38 HRs in 692 PAs and a .385 OBP.

Now, there's no guarantee he'll do this in the bigs, but all I'm saying is give the kid a chance- assuming a reset-rebuild 2020 season.

Why forget 2 years in a row over .900?

We paid Moreland big bucks for worse offense than that and half the time on the IL.

When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Legend
    OBP vs. Strikeouts with Men on Base is not what I'm looking for in a Power Hitter, I'm looking for him to Drive in Runs, otherwise you leave tons of men on base, in which he did this year. He led the International League with Men LOB. Contact is important in the game of baseball.
    Also he is not a good Defensive 1st baseman and that has been noted.
    Anyway it wont matter I understand Dalbec is going to moved to 1st Base, at least that what I understand that's in the Sox plans. Smart too, with Devers.
    Last edited by OH FOY!; 09-03-2019 at 07:02 PM.

Legend
    Like I said send him home and hope he does better next year.
    Last edited by OH FOY!; 09-03-2019 at 07:26 PM.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    You totally neglect OBP, which is much more important than BA.

If you want to "forget" a .379 OBP vs RHPs, you're missing the boat.

21 HRs in 356 PAs is about 35 HRs per 650.

I'll take .379 with 35 HRs and 180 Ks per 650 anyday of the week. It's better than Chavis, Travis and Dalbec's numbers and even better than Moreland/Pearce.

2019 is not a fluke. In 2018, he had a .393 OBP and 18 HRs in 336 PAs vs RHPs.

That's about 34 HRs over 650.

2 years combined: 38 HRs in 692 PAs and a .385 OBP.

Now, there's no guarantee he'll do this in the bigs, but all I'm saying is give the kid a chance- assuming a reset-rebuild 2020 season.

Why forget 2 years in a row over .900?

We paid Moreland big bucks for worse offense than that and half the time on the IL.

2018 + 2019 Ockimey had a total of 781 At Bats and hit 45 HRS. His Career OBP is .360.
    Last edited by OH FOY!; 09-03-2019 at 07:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OH FOY! View Post
    2018 + 2019 Ockimey had a total of 781 At Bats and hit 45 HRS. His Career OBP is .360.
    If he makes the Sox, it will be a strict platoon man- just like Moreland (vs RHPs) and Pearce (vs LHPs) were meant to be. Sure, it never ends up perfectly a straight platoon, but at least this guy hits the longer end of the platoon (vs the more plentiful RHPs).

Besides, .360 is a damn good overall OBP. Let's look at his competition:

Chavis: .322 in MLB and .319 in AAA/ .337 in AA (.325 all minor league levels) Plus, he K's almost as much as Ockimey.
    Chavis 449 K's in 1757 PAs on the farm (25.5%)
    Ockimey 675 in 2353 PAs on the farm (28.6%)
    So, the kid K's 3% more times than Chavis, but he gets on base 4% more often. K's suck, but they ain't DPs and the whole moving the runners ahead is exaggerated.

Sam Travis has a career .301 OBP in MLB. He's at .339 in AAA and .352 in all minors, but he barely hits for power (.392 SLG in AAA/.419 SLG in minors). Ockimey's overall numbers blow Travis away. Vs. RHPs, he just about doubles Travis's OPS.
    Okay, Travis barely K's (357 in 2046 PAs or 17.4%)

For reference sake, Moreland has a career .319 OBP overall. He's just .324 vs RHPs, for God's sake, and we paid him $6M x 2 years!!!
    Pearce has a career .332 OBP, and he got paid $6M this year!
    How is .360 a bad thing?

I'm not suggesting Ockimey will have a .360 OBP in MLB, but why not just see what he can do. If he can do what he's done in the minors, and we can limit his ABs vs LHPs as much as possible, he's worth more than Chavis, Travis, Moreland and Pearce.

Again, I'm not suggesting he will be better. I would not bet he will be, but give the kid a shot in next year's rebuild season or this September.

Deity
    I'm not all that wild about Ockimey, Travis or Dalbec. But it is possible at least 2 of them are in Boston next season...

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    I'm not all that wild about Ockimey, Travis or Dalbec. But it is possible at least 2 of them are in Boston next season...
    I'm not wild either, and my guess is none put up .800+ OPS at 1B next year, but if we reset, 2 should be serviceable enough to not be horrible. Throw Chavis into the mix at 1B, when he's not playing 2B, and we might work out a nice platoon situation with some promising upside.

Ockimey is a RHP killer.

The others have mixed results vs LHPs or RHPs, but if they can come near their recent 2 year norms on their splits, we could see .800+, but I doubt Ockimey will translate all that well into MLB. (I thought the same with Chavis, so maybe he can do okay.)

Deity
    I'm not wild either, and my guess is none put up .800+ OPS at 1B next year, but if we reset, 2 should be serviceable enough to not be horrible. Throw Chavis into the mix at 1B, when he's not playing 2B, and we might work out a nice platoon situation with some promising upside.

Ockimey is a RHP killer.

The others have mixed results vs LHPs or RHPs, but if they can come near their recent 2 year norms on their splits, we could see .800+, but I doubt Ockimey will translate all that well into MLB. (I thought the same with Chavis, so maybe he can do okay.)
    If the Sox do a cheap reset using internal parts for the infield, I think the best lineup might be Lin at 2B and Chavis at 1b...

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    If the Sox do a cheap reset using internal parts for the infield, I think the best lineup might be Lin at 2B and Chavis at 1b...
    Defensively, yes, but Dalbec/Ockimey/Travis at 1B and Chavis at 2B would likely hit much better.

Plus, you dissin' marco?

Jay Groome pitched three innings in a Lowell playoff game ... and then was overshadowed completely by Yusniel Padron-Artilles striking out THE NEXT 12 BATTERS in relief.

Casas went 2-4 for Salem, and Ward went 6 IP letting up 3 hits and 1 ER.

Esplin 2-3 with 2 HRs and a BB.

Wow on Padron-Artilles! He ended up with 14 Ks in 6, and the team had 17 total with just 1 BB and 3 hits allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Jay Groome pitched three innings in a Lowell playoff game ... and then was overshadowed completely by Yusniel Padron-Artilles striking out THE NEXT 12 BATTERS in relief.
    Good news.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Deity
    Defensively, yes, but Dalbec/Ockimey/Travis at 1B and Chavis at 2B would likely hit much better.

Plus, you dissin' marco?
    I think if Marco got a chance to get 600 plate appearances in a season, my commentary on him would be far from the worst...

I think a man with the last name Padron-Artilles is surely destined for the majors.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.