Register now to remove this ad

Page 5 of 37 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Prospects

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Can anyone really be proven wrong in the minors?
    Of course they can. If a guy goes from being a toolsy guy who you don't believe in with minimal production and then figures it out. Look at Miguel Andujar's minor league numbers. Law hated Andujar's offensive game. But other scouts, especially those that follow the Yankees had said he has the tools to be a great hitter. His 2017 was spectacular in the minors and he followed it up with an even better major league debut. But before 2017, he was middling at best.
    Hal sucks

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    Of course they can. If a guy goes from being a toolsy guy who you don't believe in with minimal production and then figures it out. Look at Miguel Andujar's minor league numbers. Law hated Andujar's offensive game. But other scouts, especially those that follow the Yankees had said he has the tools to be a great hitter. His 2017 was spectacular in the minors and he followed it up with an even better major league debut. But before 2017, he was middling at best.
    So, Law never moved Andujar up in his rankings after doing well in the minors?

How many times does a prospect improve in the minors and then still never make it in the majors? Should a rankings guy be bashed for not moving some guys up for doing very well in the minors?

I contend that nobody can be "proven wrong" until after the prospect makes it to the majors and does well, okay or poorly for a few years.

Law doesn't "move guys up". He's a very opinionated douche who will make all or nothing statements that sensationalize prospect following and make statements like "this guy isn't going to be a big leaguer". He is also obstinate and won't move off his initial points
    Hal sucks

Law doesn't "move guys up". He's a very opinionated douche who will make all or nothing statements that sensationalize prospect following and make statements like "this guy isn't going to be a big leaguer". He is also obstinate and won't move off his initial points
    Where did Law rank Andujar in 2016, 2017 & 2018?

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Where did Law rank Andujar in 2016, 2017 & 2018?
    He did have Andujar 54th prior to 2018, so my apologies there, but he was touting his defense!
    Hal sucks

He did have Andujar 54th prior to 2018, so my apologies there, but he was touting his defense!
    Thanks for being honest.

I'm not a huge Law fan either, but it's helpful to get several opinions through various rankings.

Legend
    Law's blurb on Andujar from last year (Not Ranked in 2017) below:

For all the hype Yankees prospects can get -- and all the complaining fans of other teams offer about this -- Andujar has avoided the publicity machine while quietly moving up the chain for the Bombers since he signed as an amateur in 2011.

He always has been a good hitter for contact but got a bit stronger and started making better contact in 2017, setting career highs in doubles, homers, and his triple-slash stats without an increase in his strikeout rate.

He has a rifle of an arm and has improved his footwork to the point that he should be an average defender at third. Perhaps the lack of hype is because other than the arm, Andujar doesn't really have a plus tool -- he does everything well, but nothing superbly.

I think he's no worse than a solid-average regular at third, probably a grade 55 at his peak, hitting around .300 with 15-20 homers, average defense and maybe a lower OBP than you'd like. The Yankees seem inclined to give him a shot to win the third base job this spring, and all signs right now are that he's ready to take it.
    Fangraph ratings: Hit GamePower RawPower Speed Field Throws Future Value
    45 / 55 45 / 55 60 / 60 55 / 50 45 / 55 70 / 70 60

Multiple scouts thought Andujar had the tools to be average at 3B. It is possible his terribleness was not tools-related, but poor coaching or just the dude himself. The power was undervalued - although given the juiced major league ball, that seems to be a consistent problem evaluating prospects.

Legend
    Aaron Judge rankings entering 2017:

Fangraphs 61
    Law 44
    MLB.com 22

Big hesitation on Judge was whether he could make enough contact at the big league level given his issues on that front coming up. Obviously he has.

Legend
    I understand Fans like looking at the Closer to the Major League level talent. But, a kid I saw Pitch in person, and was very impressed was
    Alexander Montero, he's my Binky this year in the Minors.
    Last year was Denyi Reyes, and I'll keep an eye on him also.
    https://www.milb.com/milb/news/bobby...rm/c-296965218

Deity
    Reyes might be able to see MLB innings this year...

Good stuff on top prospect Dalbec:
    https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/r...pKI/story.html

Dalbec’s power reminds Cora of his former University of Miami teammate Pat Burrell, who went on to hit 292 homers in the majors.

The defense is there, too. Dalbec moves well laterally, is quick to get back on his feet after diving stops, and as you would expect, his arm is strong and precise. On shifts, something the Red Sox have incorporated more of in the minors, Dalbec handles what amounts to shortstop seamlessly.

Said Oliver: “When you look at the whole package of what he can do offensively and defensively, you can tolerate the strikeouts. I think he’s come to grips with the idea he’s going to swing and miss quite a bit. But he’s going to learn within that at-bat how to make adjustments.”

That’s one of the reasons the Sox invited Dalbec to camp, to get a look at how power hitters such as J.D. Martinez prepare for games.
    The Burrell comp is an interesting one--he was a top MLB slugger for a few years. Of course, Burrell was a CO and thus played a less valuable position than Dalbec. Hopefully, Dalbec can develop into a slightly more consistent Pat Burrell with the bat.

An accurate description of the current Red Sox farm system:

“I think we’re in a good spot,” Crockett said. “We’re in a kind of up-and-coming spot right now where I think our some of our highest upside is at the lower levels. And then I think we have a few of the potentially impactful guys at the upper levels as well.”
    https://www.greenvilleonline.com/sto...ts/2765712002/

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Fan_since_Boggs View Post
    Good stuff on top prospect Dalbec:
    https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/r...pKI/story.html

The Burrell comp is an interesting one--he was a top MLB slugger for a few years. Of course, Burrell was a CO and thus played a less valuable position than Dalbec. Hopefully, Dalbec can develop into a slightly more consistent Pat Burrell with the bat.
    Burrell was a third baseman in college but moved from the position because the Phillies had Scott Rolen, who was the reigning NL ROY at the time. He was originally moved to 1b, but settled in the OF. His defensive abilities at third probably weren’t great, but were not the primary reason for moving him, especially since his bat was a fast track to MLB. Rolen was, after all, a defensive standout who was NOT going anywhere at the time...

For anyone interested, MLB has just posted their top 30 prospects by team

http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2019?list=bos

http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2019?list=nyy