Register now to remove this ad

Page 6 of 37 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Prospects

All-Star
    Despite how extremely early it is, I like to see Chavis and Dalbec making positive impressions. There was a time not long ago when nary a power bat could be found in our system, but right now we have a few guys with a chance to deliver some serious pop.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flap View Post
    Despite how extremely early it is, I like to see Chavis and Dalbec making positive impressions. There was a time not long ago when nary a power bat could be found in our system, but right now we have a few guys with a chance to deliver some serious pop.

As a hitter, I like Chavis better. Not sure where he plays. Dalbec has power but should be trade bait, unless other teams are discouraged by the amount of miss in his swing...

Chavis has the higher floor, Dalbec the higher upside, IMO
    Hal sucks

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flap View Post
    If necessary, the Red Sox could easily trade one of these guys for a really good relief arm, but I don't think the Red Sox will need to do that with guys like Feltman and Lakins ready to contribute at some point this season. A great quote from Feltman, the future closer of the Red Sox:

"[Closers are] definitely a special breed. When I got hurt, our eighth-inning guy had to pitch there, and he told me afterwards that closing is just a little different than setting up. You're riding that border between cockiness and confidence. You have to," he said. "With my game and my stuff, I'm going to dare you to hit it. I've just got to get through that inning, so I'm putting all the cards on the table. I like the chaos around it. It takes a special person, I think, to feel that way. You have to be a little psycho."
    https://www.milb.com/milb/news/tools...en/c-303645106
    In addition, the Red Sox can always move an SP prospect to the bullpen if necessary -- 3 candidates: D.Hernandez, T.Houck, and M.Shawaryn. I would continue to develop these guys as SPs, but a short term move to the bullpen wouldn't derail their development.

All-Star
    One of these guys are definitely trade bait.

I agree with Jacksonians take that Chavis has the higher floor and Dalbec has the higher ceiling, but I don't think there ceilings are that far apart. If Chavis hits enough to play in the majors he has enough power to be a 30 HR guy too.

This season has all the makings of trading away a couple top prospects for a late inning reliever come July.

Some recent summer deals don't seem like we had to give up too much...

Jalen Beeks for Eovaldi

Santiago Espinal for Steve Pearce

GBautista, JCallhan & SNogosek for Addison Reed

SAnderson & GSantos for Eduardo Nunez

I'm not sure we'll have to trade Chavis, Dalbec or any or out top prospects to get what we need this summer.

With Pearce and Moreland's contracts expiring after this year, and JD's opt out coming up, we may need both Chavis and Dalbec, at least until we learn more about Casas and Chatham.

It depends on what you want. Eovaldi was a post TJS starter with okay results in TB. Pearce was a 35 yr old platoon 1b. If you want the best talent available, you will need to pay top prospect dollar.
    Hal sucks

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    It depends on what you want. Eovaldi was a post TJS starter with okay results in TB. Pearce was a 35 yr old platoon 1b. If you want the best talent available, you will need to pay top prospect dollar.

Yes we get that Jose Abreu or Paul Goldschmidt might break the bank. We’re operating on the assumption he won’t be the Red Sox most pressing need. And in the past few years, the Sox needs have been supplementary players who don’t cost top prospect talent.

The real question is - what will the Yankees do? Since Cashman would rather watch the Yankee season end prematurely rather than wait and learn some of his prospects might not be as good as he thought...

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Yes we get that Jose Abreu or Paul Goldschmidt might break the bank. We’re operating on the assumption he won’t be the Red Sox most pressing need. And in the past few years, the Sox needs have been supplementary players who don’t cost top prospect talent.

The real question is - what will the Yankees do? Since Cashman would rather watch the Yankee season end prematurely rather than wait and learn some of his prospects might not be as good as he thought...
    I am not sure what Cashman will do. One thing I entirely trust Cashman with is his trading off of prospect assets. He is very rarely wrong. The only recent example would be Widener and Solak for Drury, even though he spun Drury off for Happ and we hung onto him, so no huge loss. Most of Cash's deals where he trades prospects for players turn out right in his favor. Right now, our rotation is a need depending on the health of Severino. CC's health is only needed for the first half as Montgomery is expected to be back, and he is better than CC when healthy. If Sevy is injured more than he lets on and he misses the year or returns in a dim fashion, then we will need something more than a back end starter, we will need to try and pry Bumgarner or Wheeler and get someone who can slot into the top half of a rotation. For right now, Cash is kicking the tires on Gio Gonzalez, but I would rather we wait. We have arms with promise who will be better than a washed up veteran who will miss the first few weeks anyways building up stamina.

The upside here is that Sevy returns healthy and since he misses the first month plus, he doesn't swoon like he has the last 2 seasons. The downside is his cuff is torn and he is gone, never to return the same way again. Such is the life of a pitcher. One pitch can forever alter your career. I am intrigued to see how German does in the rotation the second time around. His stuff was electric, but he missed in the zone too often. He has been lights out this spring, but as always, that is taken with a grain of salt. I am intrigued by what he might bring with a little more experience and a first time failing. I understand why Cessa is the likeliest guy for the rotation out of ST instead of Loaisiga, although I think Loaisiga has better stuff and location and the long term much better upside. On the offensive side, we don't need much at all. Bird seems healthy and Voit has continued to crush balls to RF, which served him really well in a Yankee uniform.
    Hal sucks

My Pre-Season Top 10

1. D Hernandez
    2. M Chavis
    3. T Casas
    4. B Dalbec
    5. B. Mata
    6. D. Feltman
    7. J Groome
    8. A Flores
    9. D Diaz
    T10. T Houck & CJ Chatham

Last edited by moonslav59; 04-13-2019 at 04:07 PM.

Deity
    I’m hesitant to put Groome anywhere until he actually pitches. He should be in the top ten, but right now he’s just another injured pitcher who hasn’t done anything...

I’m hesitant to put Groome anywhere until he actually pitches. He should be in the top ten, but right now he’s just another injured pitcher who hasn’t done anything...
    I moved him down from where others have him, but I agree with your point.

I really like Mata, too, so switch 'em.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

This is where I was in Jan:

Casas
    Hernandez
    Chavis
    Flores
    Dalbec
    Decker
    Houck
    Feltman
    Groome
    Lakins

Now:
    Hernandez
    Casas
    Chavis
    Dalbec
    Flores
    Decker
    Houck
    Feltman
    Lakins
    Groome

I'm just not a believer in Mata.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Deity
    This is the year for Alex Scherff and Nick Decker to break out in the minors...

This is the year for Alex Scherff and Nick Decker to break out in the minors...
    This org really needs one of its starters to break out.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")