Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Yankees sign Lemahieu

From what I can tell, Lemahieu will begin the year as Tulo insurance and by the end of the year will be Andujar/1b insurance. Park adjusted factors peg him as a minus offensive player on the whole, even though his slash lines aren’t bad for a middle infielder. I didn’t see position adjusted numbers for 2b or SS. I’d assume he’s a plus offensively at those spots. But he’s also a superior defender with gold glove type defensive metrics. He’s also one of the best opposite field hitters in baseball. Now interesting with this kid is his approach. He hit over .300 for three seasons with little pop based mostly on his ground ball tendencies. He clearly tried to alter his approach last year which led to his biggest HR output, but an overall drop in his production. With how powerful this team is, I’m entirely fine if Lemahieu goes back to being a .310 hitter with 6 bombs. We don’t need .270 with 15HR as much as I’d like to see contact and hits. Our struggles as a team we’re striking out with guys on base. Having someone in the lineup who makes contact and gets hits will be a welcome alteration

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Same reason Toronto did?
    It's not that they have given up on Tulo, it's that they didn't have much confidence in him to begin with.

Depth and insurance.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    From what I can tell, Lemahieu will begin the year as Tulo insurance and by the end of the year will be Andujar/1b insurance. Park adjusted factors peg him as a minus offensive player on the whole, even though his slash lines aren’t bad for a middle infielder. I didn’t see position adjusted numbers for 2b or SS. I’d assume he’s a plus offensively at those spots. But he’s also a superior defender with gold glove type defensive metrics. He’s also one of the best opposite field hitters in baseball. Now interesting with this kid is his approach. He hit over .300 for three seasons with little pop based mostly on his ground ball tendencies. He clearly tried to alter his approach last year which led to his biggest HR output, but an overall drop in his production. With how powerful this team is, I’m entirely fine if Lemahieu goes back to being a .310 hitter with 6 bombs. We don’t need .270 with 15HR as much as I’d like to see contact and hits. Our struggles as a team we’re striking out with guys on base. Having someone in the lineup who makes contact and gets hits will be a welcome alteration
    So the Yankees are paying him $12mill to backup a minimum wage player released by another team?

LeMahieu is an excellent defensive 2b, probably the best on the Yankeees. At best, he’s a good lead off hitter. At worst a Gold Glove defender batting ninth and hitting respectably.

I also don’t think LeMahieu agreed to any contract where he was the utility infielder. He could have gotten a starting gig someplace...

Tulo's dreams of being an everyday shortstop again certainly look a little fuzzy LOL
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    It's not that they have given up on Tulo, it's that they didn't have much confidence in him to begin with.

Depth and insurance.
    He’s a worthwhile gamble because he can be released in spring training and cost the Yankees nothing more than airfare to Florida and a few nights hotel stay.

And if all their infielders get thru Spring Training without injury, I will be VERY surprised if he is still on that team on opening day...

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Tulo's dreams of being an everyday shortstop again certainly look a little fuzzy LOL
    At this point, his chances are only slightly better than mine...

He’s Tulo insurance because Tulo hasn’t been healthy for two seasons and even when he was healthy before that, he was never really healthy enough to be counted on, especially after he turned 30. Lemahieu is probably going to start very regularly between all 4 infield positions.

He’s Tulo insurance because Tulo hasn’t been healthy for two seasons and even when he was healthy before that, he was never really healthy enough to be counted on, especially after he turned 30. Lemahieu is probably going to start very regularly between all 4 infield positions.
    Aaron will be having some fun!
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Aaron will be having some fun!

The easiest solution is to bench/cut Tulowitzki...

No, that isn't the easiest solution. The easiest solution is to take everyone to camp and see how they look. If Tulo looks good, then wonderful. Run with him. If he looks like a 34 yr old shortstop coming off heel surgeries and runs like a dad, then cut him. His last healthy season was in 2016 and while his offense was pretty much average, his defense was stellar and his WAR was 3. If he hits .254 and swats 24 bombs, then he will be very useful. If he hits .240 with no power and no lateral quickness then he is done.

Aaron has a tough job per se, but it's more an embarrassment of riches. Our redundancy is great now. The one thing we did not address and I really thought this was a position of need, was our vulnerability against power righties. We returned Gardner, who is 35, and added Lemahieu, who doesn't hit righties well. This was one of the reasons why we did not beat the sox. Once Porcello and Eovaldi touched the rubber, we couldn't hit for shit. But look at our positional depth

C- Sanchez, Romine, Higashioka- if Sanchez is back to 2017 Sanchez, then he will dominate this position and the other two will spell him maybe 35 games in 2019
    1B- Voit, Bird, Lemahieu, Andujar- Many options, one will stick
    2B- Torres, Lemahieu, Tulowitzki (after Didi returns)
    SS- Tulowitzki, Didi (May-June), Lemahieu, Torres
    3B- Andujar, Lemahieu, Torres, Tulo
    LF- Gardner, Stanton, Judge, Frasier, Ellsbury
    CF- Hicks, Judge, Frasier, Ellsbury, Gardner
    RF- Judge, Stanton, Frasier, Ellsbury

Admittedly, I don't think anyone will see Ellsbury this year, nor do I want to see him, but right now he is depth. The infield options are many.
    Hal sucks

No, that isn't the easiest solution. The easiest solution is to take everyone to camp and see how they look. If Tulo looks good, then wonderful. Run with him. If he looks like a 34 yr old shortstop coming off heel surgeries and runs like a dad, then cut him. His last healthy season was in 2016 and while his offense was pretty much average, his defense was stellar and his WAR was 3. If he hits .254 and swats 24 bombs, then he will be very useful. If he hits .240 with no power and no lateral quickness then he is done.

Aaron has a tough job per se, but it's more an embarrassment of riches. Our redundancy is great now. The one thing we did not address and I really thought this was a position of need, was our vulnerability against power righties. We returned Gardner, who is 35, and added Lemahieu, who doesn't hit righties well. This was one of the reasons why we did not beat the sox. Once Porcello and Eovaldi touched the rubber, we couldn't hit for shit. But look at our positional depth

C- Sanchez, Romine, Higashioka- if Sanchez is back to 2017 Sanchez, then he will dominate this position and the other two will spell him maybe 35 games in 2019
    1B- Voit, Bird, Lemahieu, Andujar- Many options, one will stick
    2B- Torres, Lemahieu, Tulowitzki (after Didi returns)
    SS- Tulowitzki, Didi (May-June), Lemahieu, Torres
    3B- Andujar, Lemahieu, Torres, Tulo
    LF- Gardner, Stanton, Judge, Frasier, Ellsbury
    CF- Hicks, Judge, Frasier, Ellsbury, Gardner
    RF- Judge, Stanton, Frasier, Ellsbury

Admittedly, I don't think anyone will see Ellsbury this year, nor do I want to see him, but right now he is depth. The infield options are many.
    Not to mention that Tulo is only costing the league minimum, no need to rush to cut him. Let's see if he surprises first.

Exactly. We have Tulo by the balls right now. He cannot up and retire without forfeiting the two big contract years. He’s on league minimum for this year. He’s gonna do what we tell him to do, and that very well may be to go home if he cannot play anymore

The more I read into this move, the more I think this move is about 2020. We identified a guy we could get rather cheaply who has a good hit tool and is developing a bit of a power stroke who hits the ball the other way. His offensive profile fits our ball club well as aside from Andujar, we have guys who K a ton. His contact approach will fit well here. He’s also an elite defender. After 2019, Tulo will move on and we’ll know more about Andujar’s ability to stick at 3b. The Yanks will have an FA replacement on the market in Rendon or Arenado should Andujar prove he cannot play the position. If he can play the position, then Lemahieu becomes Didi insurance. He can slide to 2B, Torres moves to SS and the band keeps rolling.