Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Yankees Prospects Thread

All-Star

2019 Yankees Prospects Thread

Who are you looking forward to following this year?

Anyone have their own top prospects list?

I'm looking forward to seeing a healthy Schmidt, if Whitlock can sustain that level of success (Not saying he'll be an ace), and if Peteira can take that step into top prospect status.

My prediction is Loaisiga, Abreu, and Acevedo are traded this year. Every one is high on Garcia too, but I will say Medina shines again in 2019. We may not have a top system anymore, but we have a lot of guys who can take a step forward and make us a top 10 system by the end of the year. I'm excited having two first round picks. Hopefully Cashman can keep working his magic by tradeing for more IFA money. I think Cessa could be worth a million of that to someone like the O's or M's.

I'm looking forward to seeing Mike King. I think he could be this year's Jordan Montgomery.

Also want to see how Florial looks this year after recovering from injury and spending a full year in AA, seeing Schmidt unleashed as you said, the development of all our young high ceiling arms (Deivi Garcia, Roansy Contreras, Medina, Acevedo, Abreu), and also our two catchers that we drafted 1 & 2 last year.

Have had far less time this offseason than last, so I didn't put my own list together. The guy I am really interested in and one I think will be a top 100 prospect is Antonio Cabello. Played the whole year as a 17 year old and spent pretty much the whole year in America in the GCL. He showed power, speed, good defense, an eye and good contact especially for not being old enough to vote (he is a DR kid, so he couldn't anyway, but I digress).
    Hal sucks

Clarke Schmidt threw 5 perfect innings with 9 strikeouts in his debut two days ago.

Deivi Garcia got touched up a bit in his debut, giving up 4 runs in 3.1IP, although 9 of the 10 outs he recorded were by the K.

Sauer allowed 0ER in his 4IP long season debut with 4K

Roansy Conteras was dominant in his 5IP 1ER debut with 6K and 0BB

Dermis Garcia is coming on in a league where power is suppressed. 10 EBH, 6HR in 17 games with a .980OPS and a .313 BA. The kid can crush and he just turned 21. If he keeps this up, he'll be in AA soon
    Hal sucks

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    Dermis Garcia is coming on in a league where power is suppressed. 10 EBH, 6HR in 17 games with a .980OPS and a .313 BA. The kid can crush and he just turned 21. If he keeps this up, he'll be in AA soon
    How good is his defense?

Quote Originally Posted by Carpin View Post
    How good is his defense?
    He's mostly a 1B now, so who knows. I know he was initially a SS, then a 3B. My assumption is he can cut it there, but I don't know for sure
    Hal sucks

He has a huge arm but I'm pretty sure his fielding is even worse than Andujar's from what I've read.

I've been reading a little about this guy, they are trying to convert him in a two way player (Othani), he should have a good arm.

By the way, I was surprised he isn't in the top 30 prospect list (for the yankees) in mlb.com

Florial returns from the IL going 2 for 4 with a tater
    Hal sucks

All-Star
    Have you heard any updates on Schmidt or King?

The system is solid right now. Gil is having an excellent year.

Radio silence on both. Not good

Some updates and rankings (from scout)

1. Estevan Florial- broke his wrist and came back 9 games ago. Currently OPS'ing .758 in A+ ball as a 21 yr old with 3 steals. Too early to tell anything
    2. Jonathan Loaisiga- shoulder fatigue put him on the DL in May. Hasn't returned
    3. Clarke Schmidt- was showing high K stuff, although his BAA and walk rates weren't as great as expected. Has been on the shelf for 3 weeks with an undisclosed injury
    4. Roansy Contreras- 19 yr old in long season A ball holding his own. 1.17WHIP, 3-1 K-BB ratio. 3 or less ER in all but one start. He is rising
    5. Albert Abreu- 23 yr old with fire in his arm. Walks too much, but much better over last 3 starts (5 in 16IP). Good K rate. Starting to show his ability. Holding
    6. Luis Medina- 20 yr old just had his second start of the year where he walked less than his innings thrown. Not kidding. 43BB in 40IP. He is a project with major stuff, but probably needs to go to the pen. Dropping like a stone
    7. Luis Gil- 21 yr old (just turned last week) stolen from the Twins for Jake Cave. 73K in 54IP. Walks too many, but nobody hit him (.176AVG). He is dominating long season in his first taste. Tampa soon. Rocketing up the system
    8. Antonio Cabello- to debut soon in SS
    9. Nick Nelson- missed 2 months due to injury. Too early to tell whether he will recover prospect status.
    10. Deivi Garcia- 20 yr old in Trenton, putting up insane K numbers (52 in 36IP), but walks are a problem. This is surprising since he was so good at limiting them last yr. Either way, arrow up for 20 yr old in AA
    11. Anthony Seigler- debuted in A ball last week. Will likely be everyday C at SI.
    12. Everson Pereira- yet to debut
    13. Josh Breaux- Really solid debut in A ball with an .823OPS and 7HR in 122ABs as a 21 yr old. Been on the DL for 3 weeks, who knows why. Still, the bat is real. Arrow up
    14. Raimfer Salinas- hasn't debuted yet
    15. Chance Adams- Has been really good in AAA and held his own in the majors. Velocity drop last year has been sustained this year dropping his projection. Holding his own
    16. Domingo Acevedo- Interesting splits for him. .212 BAA, 1.04WHIP, 9K/9IP and 4-1K/BB all are wonderful. His 6HR allowed in 28IP is a problem. He's huge and throws hard, so he will get chances, but arrow down for the 25yr old
    17. Matt Sauer- lasted 2 starts before TJS struck. Out until midseason 2020
    18. Yoendris Gomez- short season
    19. Trevor Stephan- Reasonable BAA, huge K numbers, good HR rates, ridiculous walks. Concerning trends this year for Yankee MiLB pitchers. All walk rates are way up. Holding his own due to solid peripherals
    20. Michael King- stress reaction in elbow, out into July.
    21. Thairo Estrada- made his big league debut and played really well in the bigs before being demoted. No real room for him. Arrow way up and likely out as I expect him to be a trade chip
    22. Juan Then- short season, unassigned as of right now
    23. Glenn Otto- very strong K numbers. Reasonable hit rate. 0HR in 31IP. Once again, the walks. 18 in 31.1IP. K rate and HR rate is an arrow up, but he is on the DL and has been for 3 weeks with an unknown injury
    24. Dermis Garcia- recently turned 21 in notorious pitchers league (FSL), hitting well. .829OPS with 14HR in 58 games. K's still a bugaboo and walk rate problematic, but power is real. Arrow up
    25. Anthony Garcia- short season, unassigned
    26. Oswaldo Cabrera- Holding his own offensively in a pitchers league. Just turned 20 and is in the FSL. Will never be a great hitter, but could end up with enough hit to justify his solid defense. Arrow up
    27. Oswald Peraza- short season
    28. Freicer Perez- out after 2018 shoulder surgery
    29. Garrett Whitlock- very solid performance thus far in AA. Missed 2 weeks with an injury but has returned to throw 17 innings in his past 3 starts with 4ER. Back end starter projection unchanged
    30. Hoy Jun Park- finally unlocking his potential in AA as a recently turned 23 yr old. .309BA with .809OPS. Solid walk rates. K rate could improve. 6 steals thus far. He is arrow straight up
    31. Isiah Gilliam- Repeating Tampa after struggling in 2018, he is holding his own with a near .800OPS. K rate is far too high, though, but he is showing far more speed with 12 steals already. Arrow up
    32. Roberto Chirinos- still in short season
    33. Ezequiel Duran- still in short season
    34. Nick Green- has been on the DL for 2 months with an unknown ailment
    35. Pedro Barrios- short season
    36. Tanner Myatt- Intoxicating stuff with more than a K per inning and an absurb .111BAA in 19IP. Walk rate way too high. Stuff is there. Arrow up
    37. Frank German- skipped A ball altogether to the A advanced. Holding his own with a good K rate and BAA. HR rate way too high and walk rate uncharacteristically up. Holding for now
    38. Harold Cortijo- started in extended, made it to Charleston a week ago. In 2 starts, held his own. 11K in 10IP, only 2 walks. Showing improved stuff. Wait and see
    39. Rony Garcia- great K rate, good walk rate, peripherals are all there...except the HR rate is absurd. Made it up to Trenton now as a 21 yr old. Will need to keep the ball in the yard to be good, but arrow up
    40. Trey Amburgey- finally putting it together in AAA. Long heralded as a 5 tool project, he is OPS'ing ober .800 with 10HR and 4 steals in the first two months. Arrow up
    Hal sucks

Are those the rankings? They seem out of whack. Deivi and Gil are probably top 3 at this point. Medina shouldn't even be top 20.

Theyre postseason top 50
    Hal sucks