Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 56 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Spring Training Thread

2019 Spring Training Thread

It's Truck DayTM so here's your annual Spring Training thread. Enjoy!

https://www.overthemonster.com/2019/...truck-day-2019

Here are the players in my estimation that need the most scrutiny:

Dustin Pedroia - He needs to prove not only that he is still capable of playing, but is an improvement upon a Nunez/Holt platoon or an improvement upon Lin.

Tyler Thornburg - Can he still be effective?

Brian Johnson - Can he be effective in a relief role?

Rafael Devers - Has his 3B defense improved?

Ryan Brasier - He needs to show that last season wasn't a fluke.

Could also add:

Wright's health?

Nunez's health?

How is the battle at C looking?

Who is shaping up to be the best bullpen option for 9th inning?

I don't see a battle at catcher.

Vaz will catch Porcello, ERod and Eovaldi (about 60%) and Leon will ctch Sale and Price (40%). Swihart catches in an emergency and only makes the 25 man roster, if someone in on the DL (most likely Pedey) or we trade Moreland, Nunez or Holt. .

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post

Vaz will catch Porcello, ERod and Eovaldi (about 60%) and Leon will ctch Sale and Price (40%). Swihart catches in an emergency and only makes the 25 man roster, if someone in on the DL (most likely Pedey) or we trade Moreland, Nunez or Holt. .
    They can't keep 3 catchers again. I think it was dumb to keep Swihart last year.

From PA:

The workout crew at Fenway South today included Matt Barnes, Colton Brewer, Nate Eovaldi, a trimmed-down Rafael Devers, Tzu-Wei Lin, Austin Maddox, Rick Porcello, David Price, Eduardo Rodriguez, Chris Sale, Sam Travis, and Marcus Walden.

All of our projected starters have arrived early. Good to see!

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    They can't keep 3 catchers again. I think it was dumb to keep Swihart last year.
    It was dumb because Cora refused to play him much.

That said, it turned out that we needed him while Vaz was out.

Legend

Maybe you are correct, but posswibly Swihart will have shown an improvement and Leon will be moved.

Really interested to see how pedrioa does on that knee.

He might have been able to contribute late last year, but he lacked patience and rushed his rehab and paid the price,

It would be a huge boost if he is back and healthy all year. His defense is above average and if we can get the league average for second basemen offense out of him, that is a win for us.

I would love to see Devers make a leap. He has such a nice swing. I don’t care if the defense is not league average.

Time for Rodriguez to stay healthy and make monster leap. His talent is undeniable. Now is the year to put it all together.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Cook View Post
    Time for Rodriguez to stay healthy and make monster leap. His talent is undeniable. Now is the year to put it all together.
    Not a chance IMO.

@PeteAbe

Big crowd in the Fort today. Eovaldi, Porcello and Rodriguez threw bullpens. Sandy Leon and Blake Swihart on hand. #RedSox.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer View Post
    Maybe you are correct, but posswibly Swihart will have shown an improvement and Leon will be moved.

You mean cut. Leon will be next to impossible to trade as there are plenty of similar players still available on the free agent market.

Also Leon is really the best defensive catcher of the three. Swihart has the advantage of being the most versatile, but the Sox already have two other better supersubs on the roster. As the third best catcher and the third best super sub, he’s as redundant as it gets...

Deity

If Pedroia is on the DL, is a third catcher really a necessity here? The Sox are using Holt and Nunez to backup 6 positions, and if Pedroia is out, one of them is starting...

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    If Pedroia is on the DL, is a third catcher really a necessity here? The Sox are using Holt and Nunez to backup 6 positions, and if Pedroia is out, one of them is starting...
    JD is the back-up OF'er.

Swihart may play 1B better than Holt, so basically, Nunez and Holt are the back-ups at 2B, 3B and SS while being extended depth elsewhere.

Swihart, Moreland and Pearce can also play LF.

I'd rather have Lin than Swihart (Pedey or no Pedey), which is one reason I have suggested trading Swihart 679 times this winter.

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    You mean cut. Leon will be next to impossible to trade as there are plenty of similar players still available on the free agent market.

Also Leon is really the best defensive catcher of the three. Swihart has the advantage of being the most versatile, but the Sox already have two other better supersubs on the roster. As the third best catcher and the third best super sub, he’s as redundant as it gets...
    Are we the only team that values Leon's defense?

(Note: I am not for trading Leon or Vaz.)