Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Baseball's 3,000-strikeout fraternity is probably smaller than you think

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Very true, but to me a 1.247 WHIP is not dominating. That takes away some from the other massive numbers of dominance with the Ks and no hitters.
    Let's not get into using no-hitters as a measure of greatness. Hideo Nomo had two. Pedro, Clemens and Maddux combined for 0.

And any argument about a dominating pitcher is incomplete if Pedro never gets mentioned...

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I get your point, and I don't really agree, but anyways, if you only go by how many runs score, then the ERA or ERA- leader should be the most dominant, right?

2.39 Kershaw

3.19 Ryan

Some of his 4.7 BB per 9 innings must have scored.
    If career ERA is all that matters, Ryan was 248th all time. It's too easy to name pitchers who did better that no one considers an all time great...

[QUOTE=notin;1220738]Let's not get into using no-hitters as a measure of greatness. Hideo Nomo had two. Pedro, Clemens and Maddux combined for 0.

And any argument about a dominating pitcher is incomplete if Pedro never gets mentioned...[/QUOTE
    Well , you have to admit that 5714 K's , 7 no hitters , 12 one hitters and 18 two hitters is pretty good . Might even call it dominant .

Deity
    [QUOTE=dgalehouse;1220741]
    Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Let's not get into using no-hitters as a measure of greatness. Hideo Nomo had two. Pedro, Clemens and Maddux combined for 0.

And any argument about a dominating pitcher is incomplete if Pedro never gets mentioned...[/QUOTE
    Well , you have to admit that 5714 K's , 7 no hitters , 12 one hitters and 18 two hitters is pretty good . Might even call it dominant .
    Think Feller equals him if he doesn't take time off for military service?

[QUOTE=notin;1220742]
    Quote Originally Posted by dgalehouse View Post

Think Feller equals him if he doesn't take time off for military service?
    Feller was one of the greats . You could certainly make the case that he was better than Ryan . However , I don't think he matches Ryan in no hitters and strikeouts , even without the military service . Ryan's longevity was amazing . 27 years and still effective almost to the end .