Register now to remove this ad

View Poll Results: What is Blake Swihart’s fate this off-season?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Watches Vazquez get traded and assumes starting role.

2 10.53%
  • Traded for pitching depth, as DD desires.

4 21.05%
  • Traded for non-descript minor leaguer

8 42.11%
  • DFA - claimed by another team. (Remember he is out of options.)

1 5.26%
  • DFA - clears waivers and signs MiLB contract with Boston

4 21.05%
  • Retires from baseball

0 0%
Page 2 of 40 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Blake Swihart

All-Star
    I voted "Traded for non-descript minor leaguer." Much as I'd like to believe in Swihart (being a Sox draftee, former top prospect, and all that), the fact is that he had no trade value and wasn't trusted enough by the team to be given any defined role or appreciable playing time a year ago, and I don't know what possibly could have happened since then to alter that equation. Assuming his future isn't here, I'd like to see some rebuilding club take a flyer on him and give him a chance to prove himself once and for all...we ought to get something back, but I'm not really expecting much.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    It might be that we ride things out with 3 catchers for a little while.
    this. it wasnt a poll choice tho....
    other names i have posted under: none

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    But the issue for this is that the Sox need to get down to 25 players for opening day. They’re not going to demote Devers or Benintendi in order to keep Swihart...
    you assume pedroia will be on the 25 man. i don't think he makes it thru ST unscathed....

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by FredLynn View Post
    Some folks here are convinced that because of Leon our pitchers are so "comfortable" on the mound. Maybe thats true. And maybe some other GM will see that too. And $2.75M nowadays isn't really a king's ransom, is it.
    I’m convinced he’s our best defensive catcher. His offense is abysmal, but let’s not pretend Vazquez is some poor man’s Buster Posey out there.

And $2.75mill sometimes seems like a pittance in baseball, but the Sox, universally agreed upon as needing bullpen help, have let relief pitchers making that much or less sign elsewhere.

Heck, teams go to arbitration, a process that can and often does involve alienating players, over less than $2.75mill all the time...

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    How does it work on his pay? Do we need to DFA him before opening day to avoid owing him his money?

I still think we trade him for a "non-descript minor leaguer" maybe slightly better.

I think his deal is non-guaranteed if he is released/DFAd before opening day. But if he re-signs, he would get a substantial chunk back and his potential bonus for making the 25-man roster might exceed his current salary...

Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    you assume pedroia will be on the 25 man. i don't think he makes it thru ST unscathed....
    Sig bet that he starts Opening Day?

Deity

That’s under the assumption EVERYONE makes it through spring training unscathed, but players get injured every March.

However, that doesn’t remove the possibility...

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Sig bet that he starts Opening Day?
    bet.
    sig until we reach minimum 15 wins & 15 losses (30 game minimum) for our beloved #15.
    for reference we didnt get our 15th loss until our 45th game - may 18th - last season (30-15)

bet.
    sig until we reach minimum 15 wins & 15 losses (30 game minimum) for our beloved #15.
    for reference we didnt get our 15th loss until our 45th game - may 18th - last season (30-15)
    flat,800x800,075,f.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

All-Star
    I still don't get why Vasquez, who has a higher salary than Sandy Leon, would be traded (see poll choice) while Leon would not be because his salary is too high. ?? That's why I thought both should have been poll choices. And why I would have chosen Leon traded and Swihart becomes the backup.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by fxkatt View Post
    I still don't get why Vasquez, who has a higher salary than Sandy Leon, would be traded (see poll choice) while Leon would not be because his salary is too high. ?? That's why I thought both should have been poll choices. And why I would have chosen Leon traded and Swihart becomes the backup.

Well, this is a conversation to have with Dombrowski, who is looking to move either Swihart or Vazquez, but not Leon.

It could be that he and others have more faith in Vazquez at the plate, therefore he can be marketed as the more complete player? Or maybe the additional control? (Leon has one year left)

Our pitchers appear to love throwing to Vazquez and Leon. Why mess with a pitchers head?

We already have substandard defense in most of the infield, why put swihart behind the dish and make that a defensive black hole as well?

A happy pitcher is a good thing for our team.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    My option was left out of the poll - No Freakin' Idea!
    So was mine, none of the above. Seems like notin doesn't think Swiart has any chance of being our second catcher.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Well, this is a conversation to have with Dombrowski, who is looking to move either Swihart or Vazquez, but not Leon.

It could be that he and others have more faith in Vazquez at the plate, therefore he can be marketed as the more complete player? Or maybe the additional control? (Leon has one year left)
    Where have you gotten your information? I see nothing in writing to support your contention. DD is saying 3 catchers go to ST and compete for the job, unless someone offers a trade alternative that he likes.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer View Post
    So was mine, none of the above. Seems like notin doesn't think Swiart has any chance of being our second catcher.
    Hey, I'm only going by what I read.

To me, it looks like the plan is either Vazquez/Leon or Swihart/Leon...