Register now to remove this ad

View Poll Results: What is Blake Swihart’s fate this off-season?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Watches Vazquez get traded and assumes starting role.

2 10.53%
  • Traded for pitching depth, as DD desires.

4 21.05%
  • Traded for non-descript minor leaguer

8 42.11%
  • DFA - claimed by another team. (Remember he is out of options.)

1 5.26%
  • DFA - clears waivers and signs MiLB contract with Boston

4 21.05%
  • Retires from baseball

0 0%
Page 31 of 40 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: Blake Swihart

Quote Originally Posted by FredLynn View Post
    What evidence-besides the fact the Leon is helpless with a bat in his hands?
    Well, the evidence in the rumors.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by FredLynn View Post
    What evidence-besides the fact the Leon is helpless with a bat in his hands?
    Leon has actually had longer and better stretches with the bat than Vaz or Swihart, and at the ML level not AA.

I'm not saying Leon is a better hitter or will be going forward, but he has shown he can be streaky- both good and bad.

He was horrible last year and not very good in 2017 either, but he can hit at times.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Well, the evidence in the rumors.

Or the evidence in that they force fit Swihart into the lineup as a starting left fielder once. And that they DFAd the #3 hitter to keep him.

DD has been a Swihart guy for a while now...

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Or the evidence in that they force fit Swihart into the lineup as a starting left fielder once. And that they DFAd the #3 hitter to keep him.

DD has been a Swihart guy for a while now...
    They DFA'd HRam to save money.

Keeping Swihart was a bi-product.

That being said, it does seem like DD has been unwilling to give up on Swihart.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post

Sandy is set to make $2.475M. Swihart is under team control for 4 years.

Deity

They DFAd HRam to prevent his option from kicking in, but that doesn’t change the fact that they DFAd him to keep Swihart. After all, they could have DFAd Hanley before the season started, too...

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Sandy is set to make $2.475M. Swihart is under team control for 4 years.
    Swihart is under team control, but let’s not pretend re-signing Leon is going to be some protracted and lengthy negotiation process. If the Sox want him back, it’s easy to make happen...

[QUOTE=notin;1226183]Swihart is under team control, but let’s not pretend re-signing Leon is going to be some protracted and lengthy negotiation process. If the Sox want him back, it’s easy to make happen...[/QUOT

I was merely pointing out Swihart is cheaper at $910K and under team control 2 years longer than Sandy.

They DFAd HRam to prevent his option from kicking in, but that doesn’t change the fact that they DFAd him to keep Swihart. After all, they could have DFAd Hanley before the season started, too...
    It all depends which story makes more sense to you. My belief is that they decided to give Hanley a shot, while also being prepared to cut him.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

I can understand why Dombrowski doesn't want to give up on Swihart. But it's a little ironic that Cora seems unwilling to give Swihart the playing time. So Dombrowski really likes him, but Cora, not so much?

Red Sox Place Sandy Leon On Waivers
    By Mark Polishuk | March 24, 2019 at 5:12pm CDT

The Red Sox have placed catcher Sandy Leon on waivers, as per WEEI.com’s Evan Drellich (Twitter link).

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    I can understand why Dombrowski doesn't want to give up on Swihart. But it's a little ironic that Cora seems unwilling to give Swihart the playing time. So Dombrowski really likes him, but Cora, not so much?
    Could be that Cora likes him but likes Leon more.

I think they'd have DFA'd HRam, even if Swihart was not on the roster.

I think they waited to give HRam a chance to avoid a grievance.

Quote Originally Posted by harmony View Post
    The Colorado Rockies have placed Tom Murphy on waivers.

https://www.mlb.com/news/tom-murphy-...ers-by-rockies

Murphy and Blake Swihart are catchers, born on April 3 a year apart, who are out of options. Murphy, who is older, comes with five years of team control including two seasons at a salary near the league minimum. Swihart comes with four arbitration years of team control, including this season at a salary of $900,000.

Steamer projects Murphy with 2019 wRC+ and WAR of 69 and 0.0 in 60 plate appearances and Swihart with 2019 wRC+ and WAR of 75 and 0.4 in 202 plate appearances.

ZiPS projects Murphy with 2019 wERC+ and WAR of 72 and 0.2 in 349 plate appearances and Swihart with 2019 wRC+ and WAR of 62 and 0.0 in 242 plate appearances.

https://www.fangraphs.com/statss.asp...499&position=C

https://www.fangraphs.com/statss.asp...176&position=C

Murphy was a one-time Baseball America Top 100 prospect, peaking at No. 97 in 2016. Swihart was a three-time BA Top 100 prospect, peaking at No. 17 in 2015.

Compare their defensive metrics (scroll down):

https://legacy.baseballprospectus.co...673/tom-murphy

https://legacy.baseballprospectus.co.../blake-swihart

The Rockies and Red Sox have decisions with relatively weak catching corps comprised of players out of options.

What are the relative trade values of Murphy and Swihart?
    I don't want to shit on all the research you did, but I agree with Bellhorn.

All that matters is......which Catcher the Sox feel is more valuable. The fact that they are fudging an injury for Pedroia to keep all 3, suggests that they are (A) still looking for trade options for Leon, (B) trying to convince him to take a minor league assignment.....or (C) are really dragging their feet designating Swihart.

With other recent releases around baseball in terms of defensive catchers......I really don't understand what the hold up is. Cut Leon. Hopefully he gets drowned in the mess of other reject backup catchers......and we take a chance that we can sign him later on, if need be.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by SCM33 View Post
    I don't want to shit on all the research you did, but I agree with Bellhorn.

All that matters is......which Catcher the Sox feel is more valuable. The fact that they are fudging an injury for Pedroia to keep all 3, suggests that they are (A) still looking for trade options for Leon, (B) trying to convince him to take a minor league assignment.....or (C) are really dragging their feet designating Swihart.

With other recent releases around baseball in terms of defensive catchers......I really don't understand what the hold up is. Cut Leon. Hopefully he gets drowned in the mess of other reject backup catchers......and we take a chance that we can sign him later on, if need be.
    Not to dampen your parade, but the Red Sox have already placed Sandy Leon on waivers:

https://twitter.com/EvanDrellich/sta...40032037621760