Register now to remove this ad

Thread: Severino signs an extension with the Yanks

Severino signs an extension with the Yanks

It looks like it's done (per Joel Sherman)

40/4 yrs + a club option

great signing, now let's get Judge to an extension, before he becomes very expensive

*** Sherman has been wrong before, I hope he's right in this case

Seems quite similar to the Nola extension.

Good to see teams keeping their young talent around a little longer - even if it's the Yankees.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by Carpin View Post
    It looks like it's done (per Joel Sherman)

40/4 yrs + a club option

great signing, now let's get Judge to an extension, before he becomes very expensive

*** Sherman has been wrong before, I hope he's right in this case
    I'd wait on Judge. He'll be like what, 31 when becomes a free agent? Who knows what his game will look like by then.

Quote Originally Posted by bkzwhitestrican View Post
    I'd wait on Judge. He'll be like what, 31 when becomes a free agent? Who knows what his game will look like by then.
    let's get the same structure, assure the cost on his arbitration years plus 1 or 2 club options, then you have him for most of his prime at a controlled cost

Player gets insurance and team adds payroll control and can plan on free agents

someone said it about the nola deal and it holds true here as well...seems like locking up pitchers before they hit FA is a bit easier than position players. nice job here by cashman/yankees....dammit.
    other names i have posted under: none

Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    someone said it about the nola deal and it holds true here as well...seems like locking up pitchers before they hit FA is a bit easier than position players. nice job here by cashman/yankees....dammit.
    they usually accept those "team friendly" deals because they have a higher risk of a catastrophic injury

Matt Moore with the Rays is a good example he signed a team friendly extension and he got injured, it looked like a still for the team at the beginning

More details on the extension

Severino’s fifth-year option is worth $15MM and comes with a $2.75MM buyout, tweets ESPN’s Jeff Passan. He’ll earn a $2MM signing bonus, a $4MM salary in 2019, $10MM in 2020, $10.25MM in 2021 and $11MM in 2022. In all, Severino can earn up to $52.25MM if the option is exercised.

This is an easy decision for the Yanks. He was about to get the AAV of this contract as soon as 2020 when he’s second time arb eligible. He’s a super 2, so he gets 4 arb seasons. This locks him in for the four plus one and we can let him walk at 30 for someone else to pay the end of his career. Shrewd move by Cash

I also agree that we need to look at doing the same with Judge. Since Judge is older, he’ll be 31/32 when his rookie control ends. I’d lock him in for 4+1 as well and push back his FA by a year.