Register now to remove this ad

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Chavis

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    So, he cheats to build muscle mass, becomes a big power hitter, and then works hard to maintain the muscle mass.

That's all good with you?

Why do you assume he stopped working out, and nothing is left over from PED use?

Maybe it is, but there's a significant chance the PED use is still helping him today.

So what if he did?

Should the Sox cut every player who tries PEDs?

MlLB has gone to great lengths to eliminate PEDs from the game, but they will. EVER be eliminated from the minors where there are an abundance of players with nothing to lose. If teams cut or release every minor league PED user, they might find they don’t have enough players left to field minor league teams...

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    I believe Slasher is correct, the benefits are probably long gone by now.
    I have heard that the benefits carry on beyond the usage. once you build the muscle mass, it can be maintained without the aid of the PED.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    I have heard that the benefits carry on beyond the usage. once you build the muscle mass, it can be maintained without the aid of the PED.
    You are right. For the most part, the real dopers are cyclical. They'll do a great deal in a short period of time to peak for an event of some sort. Once that muscle mass is there, when the use stops, they might lose some strength simply because the workouts cannot be as as strenuous nor can they be that often, but they will not just suddenly shrink.

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    So what if he did?

Should the Sox cut every player who tries PEDs?

MlLB has gone to great lengths to eliminate PEDs from the game, but they will. EVER be eliminated from the minors where there are an abundance of players with nothing to lose. If teams cut or release every minor league PED user, they might find they don’t have enough players left to field minor league teams...
    No. I'm not for cutting all PED users, but it doesn't mean I have to gush over them.

Just because he used PEDs doesn't mean he had or has no talent or couldn't have made it to the bigs without using them, but I'm never going to know. It's just something I can't accept with open arms. I'm fine, if others do. Like I said, I'll root for the guy, if he makes the team, but he'll never be my favorite player or close to it.

Legend
    Going into Sunday's game Michael Chavis had faced Spring Training pitchers who on the average played just below Double A last year:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/r...d=chavis000mic

See OppQual score of 6.4 in 2019 Spring Training stats.

On Sunday Chavis faced pitchers who have 24.2 and 46 innings of MLB experience, stroking his fourth home run of the spring.

As points of reference, entering Sunday's games Mookie Betts and J.D. Martinez had OppQual ratings of 8.4, or just above Triple A on the average.

I don’t think ped’s Has anything to do with chavis’s spring success,

I think it had more to do with him squaring up mistake pitches.

Quote Originally Posted by harmony View Post
    Going into Sunday's game Michael Chavis had faced Spring Training pitchers who on the average played just below Double A last year:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/r...d=chavis000mic

See OppQual score of 6.4 in 2019 Spring Training stats.

On Sunday Chavis faced pitchers who have 24.2 and 46 innings of MLB experience, stroking his fourth home run of the spring.

As points of reference, entering Sunday's games Mookie Betts and J.D. Martinez had OppQual ratings of 8.4, or just above Triple A on the average.
    Harm , It's good to be the Cooler. We do need someone to kind of keep things in perspective. But OppQual ratings ??? Really ? That might be taking things a little too far . I need to get to work on developing my very own wacky analytic . Stay tuned .

We probably could use jacksonian to give us a medical opinion on the lasting effects of anabolic steroids. As a layman, I would think that the benefits would gradually erode , but the strength and muscle mass could be at least somewhat maintained for a while with some serious lifting . At any rate , it is naive and hypocritical to think that others were using while the Sox were clean. Steroid use was widespread. And , given the risks and rewards involved , people will continue to try and beat the system.