Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Betts Hitting 2nd in Batting Order

Betts Hitting 2nd in Batting Order

I don't particularly agree with Cora's decision to bat Betts second in the batting lineup..Then again, I didn't agree with various other things Cora did with the team last year, but they still found a way to win... .I always believed and was taught to have your fastest guy that can steal bases and hit at leadoff...I think Betts leadoff and Bentintendi second was much better....Any thoughts???

The new metrics say to bat your best hitter 2nd
    other names i have posted under: none

I was completely on board with Mookie batting first last season but not because he's fast and can steal bases. Batting lead off is all about OBP.

Personally, I would have kept the top of the order the same as last year, but switching Mookie and Beni should be fine too.

I do think people tend to get hung up on RBIs though.

Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    The new metrics?

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    I was completely on board with Mookie batting first last season but not because he's fast and can steal bases. Batting lead off is all about OBP.

Personally, I would have kept the top of the order the same as last year, but switching Mookie and Beni should be fine too.

I do think people tend to get hung up on RBIs though.
    I'm not sure I agree that lead off is "All" about OBP...I think its a combination of OBP and stolen bases to put him in scoring position....I'm not saying Benintendi can't steal bases but I think Betts is best at it....

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    hey - maybe next years metrics will have him batting third. Screw the metrics.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalas21000 View Post
    I'm not sure I agree that lead off is "All" about OBP...I think its a combination of OBP and stolen bases to put him in scoring position....I'm not saying Benintendi can't steal bases but I think Betts is best at it....

Stolen bases are overrated. At bats with people on base are not...

Deity
    I'm not sure I agree that lead off is "All" about OBP...I think its a combination of OBP and stolen bases to put him in scoring position...l

The Reds non-tendered stolen base wizard Billy Hamilton. Not “demoted in the lineup.” Not “traded”. They released him because he flat out sucked at getting on first. He was the inspiration for the axiom “you can’t steal first.”

OBP is important because essentially it’s “the percentage of time a hitter doesn’t make a out.” Batting the best hitter behind the OBP leader should lead to more at bats with at least one runner on base, so second is optimal. Dropping him down to third might put more runners on base, but dropping a hitter down one place in the lineup costs him 18 plate appearances per year. So it’s best to minimize that...

"All about OBP" is a figure of speech. Of course there are other things to consider, but the ability to get on base is the most important quality of your leadoff hitter. Being speedy is not really an important factor. Base stealing actually has more impact on an offense when you put base stealers in front of your singles hitters instead of in front of your power hitters.

Rickey Henderson was a great leadoff hitter because of his ability to get on base, not because of his base stealing prowess.

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    "All about OBP" is a figure of speech. Of course there are other things to consider, but the ability to get on base is the most important quality of your leadoff hitter. Being speedy is not really an important factor. Base stealing actually has more impact on an offense when you put base stealers in front of your singles hitters instead of in front of your power hitters.

Rickey Henderson was a great leadoff hitter because of his ability to get on base, not because of his base stealing prowess.
    I have to disagree with your statement about Ricky Henderson...Henderson was a leadoff hitter because he got on base AND stole bases...Its all about getting guys into scoring position so that the next guy can hit you in...Unless you hit a homerun of course

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Stolen bases are overrated? How do you figure?lol

I love Betts up 2nd.

I hope JD hits 4th- not 3rd.

Cora is the best Sox manager I have ever seen. To imply we won despite him is (IMO) just plain wrong.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I love Betts up 2nd.

I hope JD hits 4th- not 3rd.

Cora is the best Sox manager I have ever seen. To imply we won despite him is (IMO) just plain wrong.
    is JD a part of a discussion about where Betts should hit in the lineup? Come on Moon. we all want to see JD hit cleanup. It is what the metrics say for gosh sake.

Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    is JD a part of a discussion about where Betts should hit in the lineup? Come on Moon. we all want to see JD hit cleanup. It is what the metrics say for gosh sake.
    Betts hitting second has been decided and is what is best.

I brought up JD, because I'm not sure it is decided, and batting him 3rd has been mentioned and supported here.

Just trying to keep the conversation going.
    Last edited by moonslav59; 03-09-2019 at 10:46 PM.