Register now to remove this ad

Page 14 of 33 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Devers

Deity
    If Devers never gets into an athletic position in preparation to make a play he is never going to be much of a fielder. Much more fielding is done with the feet than the glove. Sloppy or lazy footwork only makes it harder to make a play with the glove. In fact, I don't even watch ground balls to the fielder's glove. Why would I. The fielder is either going to catch it, knock it down or the ball is getting through untouched. I will know soon enough which one it is. I watch the fielder's foot work as soon as I know who has to make the play and keep watching it all the way to the play either being made or not.

In fact if at the game in person I will pay attention to the fielder's set up positions, left side of infield for RH hitters and right side of infield for LH hitters.
    Last edited by jung; 04-11-2019 at 03:58 PM.

There isn't a bigger Devers supporter than me......but man, he somehow got worse defensively. 5 errors through 20 games. Hes on pace to make over 35 errors at 3B.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Devers has a DRS score of 1 right now. His defense is slowly but surely getting better and better.

BuT tHe EyE tEsT!
    He's at -2 DRS, now.

Pedey is, too.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

I've always thought Devers would end up at 1B, but I was willing to give him every opportunity to improve enough at 3B to stay there. It looked like he was getting better as 2018 rolled on, but this is unacceptable.

With Pearce & Moreland's contract up after this year, I'd look to try Devers & Chavis at 1B and maybe hope Dalbec can win the 3B job. Otherwise, we'll have to llok for a FA 3Bman next winter.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

6 errors now. Potentially cost them another game.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by SCM33 View Post
    6 errors and we are still in April. I will have to look up the worst ever. My guess is he is at a rate that will surpass it and become the new record holder.

Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer View Post
    6 errors and we are still in April. I will have to look up the worst ever. My guess is he is at a rate that will surpass it and become the new record holder.
    Butch Hobson I believe.

Legend
    Butch Hobson I believe.
    The records go way back when there were more errors. Couldn't find the record I was looking for but last year he had 24 errors (to lead the majors) and he did it in 116 game appearances. At his current rate he would get very close to 35 errors this year in the 116 games and I would expect him in 140 to 145 games this year in the regular season. If he keeps going at this rate he could have the incredible total of 42 errors. Moon suggest he might be on first base next season and there is a lot of sense in that thought.

The records go way back when there were more errors. Couldn't find the record I was looking for but last year he had 24 errors (to lead the majors) and he did it in 116 game appearances. At his current rate he would get very close to 35 errors this year in the 116 games and I would expect him in 140 to 145 games this year in the regular season. If he keeps going at this rate he could have the incredible total of 42 errors. Moon suggest he might be on first base next season and there is a lot of sense in that thought.
    I was talking about modern day. I believe Hobson made like 45 errors in 1 season in the late 70s.

I think it may be a little early to talk about Devers to 1B. He is clearly athletic enough to play 3B. It seems like a lack of concentration.

I was talking about modern day. I believe Hobson made like 45 errors in 1 season in the late 70s.

I think it may be a little early to talk about Devers to 1B. He is clearly athletic enough to play 3B. It seems like a lack of concentration.
    Good memory. Hobson made 43 in 1978. IIRC, he had an injured elbow. I recall reading something about him rearranging bone chips in his elbow between pitches. And the idiot Zimmer kept trotting him out there virtually every day. Records show he played in 147 games that year, 14 at DH and 133 at 3B.
    The Yankees could go 0-162 and it wouldn't be enough

Devers is an enigma. He often boot some fairly routine plays, then he'll turn around and make a Gold Glove caliber play.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    Devers is an enigma. He often boot some fairly routine plays, then he'll turn around and make a Gold Glove caliber play.
    Hes an enigma, bc you know he can do it. Its a concentration thing for him I think.

Deity
    6 errors and we are still in April. I will have to

look up the worst ever. My guess is he is at a rate that will surpass it and become the new record holder.
    Not likely.

In 1903, Cleveland Naps shortstop Johnny Gochnaur committed 98 errors. Coupled with his OPS+ of 54 that year, Gochnaur is a leading candidate for the worst season in MLB history...

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Not likely.

In 1903, Cleveland Naps shortstop Johnny Gochnaur committed 98 errors. Coupled with his OPS+ of 54 that year, Gochnaur is a leading candidate for the worst season in MLB history...
    its a little tough comparing baseball 116 years ago to today. Fielding gloves barely existed, if at all and the crab grass in my backyard is better than most outfields were. Fields were in rough shape back then.

I wish we would of made a run a Josh Donaldson. Don’t what his contract situation looks like but he would of been a good fit. The Braves aren’t letting him go. Plus he’s starting to hit the ball well. Beltre is just to old. I don’t think he’s even playing now.