Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 32 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Yankees Game Thread

Hybrid View

2019 Yankees Game Thread

Opening day is here! Very excited, albeit I’ll have to gamecast from work. Forgot to take myself off the schedule for today. Tanaka on the bump. Let the long ride begin
    Hal sucks

Grabbed Tanaka, Andujar, Sanchez and Torres on my fantasy team so I'll be paying a little more attention this year.

What's the timetable on Hicks?
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    What's the timetable on Hicks?
    I think it's 7 years of being on and off the IL.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    I think it's 7 years of being on and off the IL.
    SAD

but I feel the same way

Quote Originally Posted by Carpin View Post
    SAD

but I feel the same way
    That being said, Hicks has always been a bit of a health risk. Last year was his only year with us where he was healthy for the majority of the year. This is why we got a 5WAR CFer for $10 mil AAV
    Hal sucks

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    That being said, Hicks has always been a bit of a health risk. Last year was his only year with us where he was healthy for the majority of the year. This is why we got a 5WAR CFer for $10 mil AAV
    With him talent is not the problem, his ability to stay healthy is the issue.

Time will tell if he will replace Ellsbury as the new "american idle"

Hicks has two cortisone injections and while he’s feeling better, he has been limited to non baseball activities. He should start swinging the stick soon and will need probably a week to get his bat up to speed. He’ll likely head back to the majors at the earliest, mid April

Per Jack Curry, here is today's lineup:

1. Brett Gardner CF
    2. Aaron Judge RF
    3. Gian Stanton LF
    4. Luke Voit DH
    5. Miguel Andujar 3B
    6. Gary Sanchez C
    7. Greg Bird 1B
    8. Gleyber Torres 2B
    9. Troy Tulo SS

I'm a bit surprised that they moved Andujar ahead of Sanchez, but I agree with it. At least until Sanchez shows that he can mash again.

The interesting thing about this Yankee squad is our depth. We are down Hicks, yet we may not drop an inch in offensive output. Boone had said we wouldn't carry both Voit and Bird, but with Hicks on the shelf, that's exactly what we are doing. Bird is an intriguing case. He came up in 2015 when Tex was injured and popped 11HR in 46 games. He missed 2016 with a shoulder injury. He ended up with os trigonum surgery following a foul ball of his foot, which wrecked the beginning of his 2017. He had a complication from that surgery wreck the beginning of his 2018 and he just wasn't in synch after that. This is the first season where he has made it through ST with only minor bumps and bruises. If he is healthy, he can hit. He showed it in the spring OPS'ing over 1.100. Granted, spring numbers aren't everything, but the Hicks injury allows Bird to stay in the lineup and battle Voit for the position. If both hit well, there is a chance they force Gardner to 4th OFer
    Hal sucks

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    The interesting thing about this Yankee squad is our depth. We are down Hicks, yet we may not drop an inch in offensive output. Boone had said we wouldn't carry both Voit and Bird, but with Hicks on the shelf, that's exactly what we are doing. Bird is an intriguing case. He came up in 2015 when Tex was injured and popped 11HR in 46 games. He missed 2016 with a shoulder injury. He ended up with os trigonum surgery following a foul ball of his foot, which wrecked the beginning of his 2017. He had a complication from that surgery wreck the beginning of his 2018 and he just wasn't in synch after that. This is the first season where he has made it through ST with only minor bumps and bruises. If he is healthy, he can hit. He showed it in the spring OPS'ing over 1.100. Granted, spring numbers aren't everything, but the Hicks injury allows Bird to stay in the lineup and battle Voit for the position. If both hit well, there is a chance they force Gardner to 4th OFer
    Not if Tauchman sees significant time.

And I'm not ready to count on Bird just yet.

I’m still surprised at the contract. Length was too long, but the AAV was below market. Maybe that was the point. Save up to $3-$5 mil in AAV for when the Yanks get pricey

Bird, if healthy, is a good hitter. He has never proven to stay healthy. He's a reasonable plan B for the lineup. I expect Hicks to be back before our west coast swing in late April.
    Hal sucks

Tanaka with good location in inning 1. Running 91-92 as is his typical. The orioles lineup is abysmal.

I literally haven't heard of 1/2 the Orioles lineup, and the guys I've heard of are people like Chris Davis who just suck. What the hell is that roster?

3 run jack from Voit!!!