Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Would the Sox coaching and training staff start Sale knowing he's injured?

Would the Sox coaching and training staff start Sale knowing he's injured?

Obviously Sale's velocity is way down watching last night there is no doubt about that, but the guy still pitched a great 6 innings and gave us a chance to win. If he can do that each and every week regardless if he has his super fastball I am all for it. My take is they are saving his shoulder so he is going more with the sliders, breaking balls..... However the fast balls he threw were concerning I won't lie. So my question..... Would the Sox organization risk playing an injured Chris Sale knowing he is injured? I hope this isn't the case. Could be costly in the future.

I doubt they would do this (I hope) but this wouldn't be the first time a team has played a star player knowing he is injured. Take the Indianapolis Colts playing Andrew Luck in 2016 knowing he had a bad shoulder and needed surgery. Took him out of the game for an entire year. It does happen, I just hope this isn't the case with Sale.

Can we please start at least 3 more sale threads?

Quote Originally Posted by BillyWilliams View Post
    Can we please start at least 3 more sale threads?
    Let's focus on this one first, and then I will see what I can come up with.

Edit: Also I didn’t see a bunch of other threads on Sale. On the first page I saw one on his contract. If this discussion has been beat to death feel free to close this and point me toward that discussion.
    Last edited by TylerD; 04-03-2019 at 09:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TylerD View Post
    So my question..... Would the Sox organization risk playing an injured Chris Sale knowing he is injured? I hope this isn't the case. Could be costly in the future.

no way. if they hadnt just inked him to a contract and this was his final year - then maybe. lets see where the velocity is when the warm weather arrives.
    other names i have posted under: none

Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    no way. if they hadnt just inked him to a contract and this was his final year - then maybe. lets see where the velocity is when the warm weather arrives.
    My guess is that they'll meet with him and look at his arm this week. If everything is fine, he won't miss another start.

I wonder if this is more cause for concern for us, than it is for the team since they see him everyday and are aware of how he's pitching. It's not like they only watch him on gamedays like we do.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Assuming everything is fine, I vote we bump him from his next scheduled start on Sunday so he can pitch the home opener. The 2 extra days rest can't hurt
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I can't disagree with you

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    Assuming everything is fine, I vote we bump him from his next scheduled start on Sunday so he can pitch the home opener. The 2 extra days rest can't hurt
    Bumping him from a warm start in AZ to a potential freezing start in Boston sounds like a bad idea if there are any questions about his arm.

Bumping him from a warm start in AZ to a potential freezing start in Boston sounds like a bad idea if there are any questions about his arm.
    Yes, but he would be gassed up to pitch at Fenway on Ring Day. Whoever does will be as well

Yes, but he would be gassed up to pitch at Fenway on Ring Day. Whoever does will be as well
    Wouldn't that be worse for him to overthrow if his arm is injured or not ready?

Wouldn't that be worse for him to overthrow if his arm is injured or not ready?
    It's times like these where I still feel like a dumb kid.

Lol, it's all good. It's all speculation right now on what's going on with Sale. At the end of the day we will probably never know the severity of his injury if that is indeed what he has. As a Colts fan I know this feeling all too well with Luck in 2016.

Lol, it's all good. It's all speculation right now on what's going on with Sale. At the end of the day we will probably never know the severity of his injury if that is indeed what he has. As a Colts fan I know this feeling all too well with Luck in 2016.
    Is that why Pagano got fired? Had to be a big reason I would think

Is that why Pagano got fired? Had to be a big reason I would think
    Yup it was a huge reason.... Every week lied to the faces of the fans and said Luck will play, he is fine.... Did it in 2017 as well damn well knowing he wasn't going to play all year. Did it just to keep fans coming and sell tickets. Granted he was probably told by the owners and GM to do it as well but with the lying, and dreadful season of 2017 and horrible defense his time came to a crashing end.

And just like us speculating with Sale, Colts fans are doing the same with Luck and his shoulder. He looked god awful against the Chiefs in the playoffs. Throwing 30 yards looked like a stretch for him. Time will tell if that was a one off game (as he was good all season) or if his shoulder is giving him fits again.

Yup it was a huge reason.... Every week lied to the faces of the fans and said Luck will play, he is fine.... Did it in 2017 as well damn well knowing he wasn't going to play all year. Did it just to keep fans coming and sell tickets. Granted he was probably told by the owners and GM to do it as well but with the lying, and dreadful season of 2017 and horrible defense his time came to a crashing end.

And just like us speculating with Sale, Colts fans are doing the same with Luck and his shoulder. He looked god awful against the Chiefs in the playoffs. Throwing 30 yards looked like a stretch for him. Time will tell if that was a one off game (as he was good all season) or if his shoulder is giving him fits again.
    You could chalk it up to the snowy weather, the Chiefs defense, or a bunch of other things, but yeah, that is a valid point about throwing it 30 yards.

Sorry! Didn't mean to talk down to you!