Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Batting Lineup

Batting Lineup

Does any1 know why Cora changed up the batting order this year? I thought things worked well the way they were last year? Just sayin

Quote Originally Posted by Dalas21000 View Post
    Does any1 know why Cora changed up the batting order this year? I thought things worked well the way they were last year? Just sayin
    Sometimes managers like to outsmart themselves.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Meh, it doesn't matter what the lineup is. I hear a lot of people complaining about Betts not leading off. He can hit wherever he bats in the order. If not than he doesn't deserve a 300 MIL contract

Deity
    Cora is blameworthy, but I hesitate to base that on the lineup.

The telling truths are--

1. He has the same high-priced rotation he had last year but without Pom, who bombed. So far they are pretty awful.
    2. He also has pretty much the same lineup less Kinsler, who didn't hit much, and plus Pedey, who still might be able to hit (and field). They are about half as good as last year.
    3. He has most of the same bullpen less Kelly, who looks awful so far in LA, and Kimbrel, who can't help this bullpen because he only pitches the 9th, preferably with no one on and a 3 run lead. The bullpen is less and less effective, but I blame some of that on how much Cora has to use them when his starters can't go 5 innings, let alone 6 or 7.
    4. He has the same defense minus gold glover Kinsler at 2B.
    5. He also still has the highest payroll in MLB.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalas21000 View Post
    i think Cora was trying to get Mookie up to bat with men on base more often this season. the #9 hitter last season didnt have a very high OBP and he is expecting Beni to get on base a bit more.
    i am holding off judgement for now as it is still too early and too cold.
    other names i have posted under: none

The lineup is not Cora's fault . It is being made out by Harold Nerdwell from the analytics staff . Harold has a lot of clout these days .

All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by dgalehouse View Post
    The lineup is not Cora's fault . It is being made out by Harold Nerdwell from the analytics staff . Harold has a lot of clout these days .
    When Cora steps down, he will be replaced by a black box developed by Amazon's A.I. or some other silicon valley corporation.

The thing I don't understand.....Swihart can play LF, and Pearce has made 27 starts at 2B in his career (and 8 starts at 3B).

Was wasn't Vasquez catching, with Pearce at 2B and Swihart in LF?

Not that it mattered, but I felt that Cora was getting a little cute. In the end, at least we know that Vasquez has the versatility to do it in a pinch.

Quote Originally Posted by redsoxrules View Post
    Meh, it doesn't matter what the lineup is. I hear a lot of people complaining about Betts not leading off. He can hit wherever he bats in the order. If not than he doesn't deserve a 300 MIL contract
    Exactly. If Betts is truly a superstar, where he hits should not hurt his performance. His big payday depends on him, not where Cora pencils him in in the batting order.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by redsoxrules View Post
    It really is his job to hit where Cora tells him too.

So people think Sale needing a catcher he has faith in won’t help, but Betts’ clear and obvious problem is not leading off?

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by dgalehouse View Post

It’s really weird that you think MLB managers actually aren’t into analytics. A lot of players are deep into analytics. They actually use bats with sensors to optimize launch angles. But you think managers are all like Lou Brown (portrayed brilliantly by James Gammon) in “Major League”?

If you guys think Cora came up with this rest idea on his own, I’ve got a swamp to sell you. This was upper level management selling the fan base on an organizational decision and letting Cora take the credit or blame dependent on the outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    If you guys think Cora came up with this rest idea on his own, I’ve got a swamp to sell you. This was upper level management selling the fan base on an organizational decision and letting Cora take the credit or blame dependent on the outcome.
    What the heck gave you the idea that upper management came up with that idea? I know it's fun making things up, but...

Cora was preaching the rest philosophy from Day One.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Of course he’s going to preach the philosophy because he was told to. Management is involved in EVERYTHING these days from lineups down to pitching moves. Cora did not come up with this on his own, as a matter of fact, I bet he was initially against it as it leaves your squad unprepared for the regular season.

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    Of course he’s going to preach the philosophy because he was told to. Management is involved in EVERYTHING these days from lineups down to pitching moves. Cora did not come up with this on his own, as a matter of fact, I bet he was initially against it as it leaves your squad unprepared for the regular season.
    100% speculation.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.