Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: IMHO: VasquezAbout time to a

All-Star

IMHO: VasquezAbout time to a

About tume to put the man in the Flop category and get a catcher,It's taken awhile to admit it, but there it is!He simply can't hit!

Once again, but this time in English please.......

Quote Originally Posted by BillyWilliams View Post
    Once again, but this time in English please.......
    Give the man a break, he’s 90+ years old.

It’s obvious what he’s saying.
    The Yankees could go 0-162 and it wouldn't be enough

Quote Originally Posted by illinoisredsox View Post

Maybe to you......

All-Star
    As long as V can hit .250, he's fine, because on defense he's better than average--ON AVERAGE. (no single game can tell you how good or bad he is)

Quote Originally Posted by illinoisredsox View Post

I asked my first grade nephew, if he knew what it meant.

He nailed it after two seconds of thought.

I rest my case on the reading comprehension skills (or lack there of) of Billy the Clown.

Sox 4 Ever

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I asked my first grade nephew, if he knew what it meant.

He nailed it after two seconds of thought.

I rest my case on the reading comprehension skills (or lack there of) of Billy the Clown.

Says the egotistical asshole who claims that he posts in bold because it's easier for him to read.....

Quote Originally Posted by BillyWilliams View Post
    Maybe to you......
    and every other poster here. Don’t be such a tool.

BTW, is the double ellipsis supposed to be clever?
    The Yankees could go 0-162 and it wouldn't be enough

billywilliams can you troll better? at least I make people laugh when I troll. you just have lame comebacks and name call people on the internet... why is a yankees fan on a red sox board, don't you have yankees stuff to talk about? I never even see you talk about the yankees, you've mentioned alex cora more than aaron boone...

Please get back on topic. BillyWilliams is gone, and we don't need to discuss him anymore.

I've never been a fan of Vazquez thought the extension was premature and unnecessary and I've always thought Swihart was a special talent. I don't think Vazquez "defense" is enough to warrant him starting over Swihart, especially with the potential Swihart has with the bat. That being said, I don't think we can blame Vazquez for the slow start, the pitching has been awful and I have a hard timing blaming the catchers.

However, I do wonder if Leon really was THAT good calling games, defensively and etc though...

Deity
    Leon can't hit either and his problems are simply that he has no hitting talent whatsoever. Vaz can hit if he is smart about what he is doing. He will never be able to pull anything but a pitch that is so far inside that he is forced to pull his hands inside the baseball just to hit it at all. Every other kind of pitch he sees, he needs to take to the opposite field. Its the only way he will ever hit anything because his hands are never ever anywhere near inside the baseball. Even his practice swings with no pitch coming at him are swings that will never result in swinging inside the baseball. He literally practices swinging around the baseball. So unless he goes the opposite way, he is doomed to roll over everything over and over again. He will occasionally pop the ball in the air and will make solid contact as often as if he swings with his eyes closed. Solid contact for Vaz unless he goes the other way is not even luck. Its an accident! In some ways it would be better for the team if he just missed the ball entirely when he swings at it unless he resigns himself to going the opposite way.
    Last edited by jung; 04-07-2019 at 02:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasonbay44 View Post
    Please get back on topic. BillyWilliams is gone, and we don't need to discuss him anymore.

I've never been a fan of Vazquez thought the extension was premature and unnecessary and I've always thought Swihart was a special talent. I don't think Vazquez "defense" is enough to warrant him starting over Swihart, especially with the potential Swihart has with the bat. That being said, I don't think we can blame Vazquez for the slow start, the pitching has been awful and I have a hard timing blaming the catchers.

However, I do wonder if Leon really was THAT good calling games, defensively and etc though...
    I can't say this enough about BW. Thank you, thank you, thank you. Of course he probably will come back under a different iteration, but in the meantime this will be a better place to be.

I've always been a Vazquez 'fan boy', ever since I heard about "pop time" and how quickly he gets the ball to second base. Of course I've always loved players with great arms, probably because I didn't have one.

WAR and "trained observers" not withstanding, I tend to put a lot of faith in what I see when it comes to defense. When I see Vaz throw someone out who's trying to steal or I see one of out OF'ers run a long way to get to a ball I think that it was a great play, not, "Oh well, I'll bet the league is full of players who would have made that play". I know I've gone on ad nauseum about defense "stealing" an out with a great defensive play or granting a team an "extra" out by making an error... so I won't do it again. However, I'll say what I've said before, that great defense is often times unrecognized and therefore underrated.
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

Just saw his. Thank you.

As for the OP...I have always been a “defense first” guy but I am willing to give swi a bigger workload right now to see how he does....
    other names i have posted under: none

I am a huge Vazquez fan and was a huge fan of his contract. I don't care what catchers do offensively. I care about how they handle the pitching staff and what they do behind the plate.

If the rest of the line up does what it's supposed to do, the team can carry a weak hitting catcher in the #8 or #9 spot.

Of course, when playing in a National League park and having the pitcher batting, the weakness gets a little more magnified.

Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    Just saw his. Thank you.

As for the OP...I have always been a “defense first” guy but I am willing to give swi a bigger workload right now to see how he does....
    As a prospect, Swihart was projected to have above average defense, and with his offense, he was projected to be the better overall catcher between him and Vaz. Let's hope that with regular playing time, he will finally live up to that projection.