Register now to remove this ad

Page 3 of 61 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: What are the chances of Porcello being offered a contract extension?

Legend
    Sandoval comes off the books, with 5 million buyout, but Sale goes in at 30 million. I doubt they sign Porcello.
    Last edited by OH FOY!; 04-18-2019 at 04:19 AM.

Nope.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Deity
    Porcello has been and will always be I think a mid rotation kind of guy at best. he has been very valuable to the organization for sure. Everybody wants durable inning eaters. His number gets called, he goes to the mound. I think before the question of whether he comes back or not gets addressed, don't the Sox kind of have to see what transpires this season? We just started. Ultimately if he expects more than mid-rotation money, I don't think that he will get it in Boston.

Deity
    Given his off-season spending spree, DDis going to need some minimum wage rookies to step in. This means it’s actually almost safe to pencil in Mike Shawaryn or Darwinzon Hernandez (or more likely, both) for the 2020 rotation. Both are certainly huge question marks as MLB pitchers, even with Hernandez having limited success this ST. But neither alone will be able to fill Porcello’s one undeniable skill of durability...

Quote Originally Posted by OH FOY! View Post
    Sandoval comes off the books, with 5 million buyout, but Sale goes in at 30 million. I doubt they sign Porcello.
    And Xander was extended. Porcello isn’t returning

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    And Xander was extended. Porcello isn’t returning
    How do you know??? Apparently Porcello has made it very clear he wants to stay in Boston and would make a very good negotiation to stay. Half the people are talking about Sale and Xander.... Porcello is neither of them and he knows it. I highly doubt he asks for something super unreasonable especially if he wants to stay in Boston that bad. Only way I see him asking for a massive contract is if he gets his shit together and has another CY Young type season which I don't see happening.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by TylerD View Post
    How do you know??? Apparently Porcello has made it very clear he wants to stay in Boston and would make a very good negotiation to stay. Half the people are talking about Sale and Xander.... Porcello is neither of them and he knows it. I highly doubt he asks for something super unreasonable especially if he wants to stay in Boston that bad. Only way I see him asking for a massive contract is if he gets his shit together and has another CY Young type season which I don't see happening.

Tend to agree with Jacko here.

Porcello might want to come back at a reduced cost, he can’t go too low without the union getting upset. And the Sox commitments for next season might be too prohibitive. Especially with the JD Martinez situation looming.

Holt has stated he wants to come back, but hasn’t Ben extended. I don’t think this means he is definitely gone, but it certainly leaves the door wide open...

I wonder how Porcello feels about the word getting out that he openly sought an extension , only to be rebuffed by management. Probably not too good .

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Tend to agree with Jacko here.

Porcello might want to come back at a reduced cost, he can’t go too low without the union getting upset. And the Sox commitments for next season might be too prohibitive. Especially with the JD Martinez situation looming.

Holt has stated he wants to come back, but hasn’t Ben extended. I don’t think this means he is definitely gone, but it certainly leaves the door wide open...
    I think it just depends how this season works out in my opinion. If Porcello keeps this dog shit play up I don't blame anyone for not wanting him back even if it's for a million a season. As mentioned before, Porcello will give you innings and is a work horse. He is never injured, and always plays when called upon. He isn't our Ace but a nice 4th guy in the rotation. It's hard to pass up on something like that if we can get him at a decent price. Porcello is already worth millions and millions, has a World Series under his belt, and a CY Young season. Not really much left for him to do other than play for a team he really wants to play for (which it sounds like is Boston)

Quote Originally Posted by dgalehouse View Post
    I wonder how Porcello feels about the word getting out that he openly sought an extension , only to be rebuffed by management. Probably not too good .
    Eh, how much did he ask for - is that out there too?
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Porcello is probably drawing some consolation from the fact he's making $21 million this year. Which is $21 million more than Kimbrel and Keuchel.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Porcello is probably drawing some consolation from the fact he's making $21 million this year. Which is $21 million more than Kimbrel and Keuchel.

And that he’s only 30 and could be a free agent.

As he’s not “in his 30’s”, he stands a chance to pitch himself into a decent contract...

Deity
    Also this whole Player X wants to play for Team Y “for the rest of his career” seems like a worn-out negotiation ploy to get an extension. And if it happens at an acceptable rate, win for the player. If the team rebuffs him, it vilifies the management...

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Also this whole Player X wants to play for Team Y “for the rest of his career” seems like a worn-out negotiation ploy to get an extension. And if it happens at an acceptable rate, win for the player. If the team rebuffs him, it vilifies the management...
    Meh I agree, but in Porcellos case he really does seem to love Boston and his teammates. I could easily seem him taking a nice negotiation to play for the team he likes. I doubt Porcello is all that humiliated by the fact the fans know he asked to stay in Boston at a discount.

I doubt he takes $15M/2 to stay, but that might be the best DD would (could) offer.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?