Register now to remove this ad

Page 15 of 61 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: What are the chances of Porcello being offered a contract extension?

I have doubts that he comes back too, but I wouldn't rule it out. This team has surprised us more than once with the lengths they're willing to go to to put a strong team on the field.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I doubt Porcello comes back, even if we lose JD to the option & free agency.
    If JD opts out and signs with another team, I expect DD to sign either Josh Donaldson or Jose Abreu...

Double A
    Subscribed to this one

Quote Originally Posted by bertha View Post
    Subscribed to this one
    Your user name is hilarious.

Unless that is your actual name... then my bad.

I doubt Porcello comes back, even if we lose JD to the option & free agency.
    If Ryan Weber keeps playing like this and takes Porcellos spot then we don’t need Porcello as much as I like him.

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    If JD opts out and signs with another team, I expect DD to sign either Josh Donaldson or Jose Abreu...
    Certainly a couple options. Donaldson needs to show he's healthy and good enough. Abreu makes sense, assuming the cost is not absurd.

The self-imposed budget limit is going to be the biggest factor, IMO.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Legend
    Certainly a couple options. Donaldson needs to show he's healthy and good enough. Abreu makes sense, assuming the cost is not absurd.

The self-imposed budget limit is going to be the biggest factor, IMO.
    I wouldn't characterize the budget sensitivity as self imposed. MLB have serious penalties associated with going over and staying over the competitive balance tax limit. We just need to make good choices and live within those reasonable constraints as the other teams are successfully doing. Best way to do that is to continually develop young players such as Beni, Devers and Chavis. It's also time that we see some of our young pitchers move forward. We are carrying Sandoval and Pedey this year without any value. Thats close to 15% of the budget. Lets hope we have learned, but I doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer View Post
    I wouldn't characterize the budget sensitivity as self imposed. MLB have serious penalties associated with going over and staying over the competitive balance tax limit. We just need to make good choices and live within those reasonable constraints as the other teams are successfully doing. Best way to do that is to continually develop young players such as Beni, Devers and Chavis. It's also time that we see some of our young pitchers move forward. We are carrying Sandoval and Pedey this year without any value. Thats close to 15% of the budget. Lets hope we have learned, but I doubt it.
    This is the context I meant my statement to be taken:

Personally, I think Henry wants to reset after this year, especially since we won in 2018, and some of the pressure is off. If this is true, it's a major budget constraint that pretty much means we lose every FA-to-be and can't replace anybody through cheap free agents.

If we set the limit at the $19.9M over mark, we will have the ability to keep JD or sign someone (cheaper) to replace Porcello and/or JD.

If we set the line at $39.9M over the mark, we can stay about as competitive as we are now, but may have to lose Porcello and replace him from within or with a cheaper FA.

If we are okay going over $40M, we can keep everybody and maybe add a moderate FA somewhere (pen, 1B, 2B?).

To me, the budget Henry sets or strongly suggests will be the major factor in what happens next year and what ends up happening with Betts after 2020.

If we reset after this year, we may be able to afford to pay Betts (and the tax) afterwards.

This is the context I meant my statement to be taken:

Personally, I think Henry wants to reset after this year, especially since we won in 2018, and some of the pressure is off. If this is true, it's a major budget constraint that pretty much means we lose every FA-to-be and can't replace anybody through cheap free agents.
    Forget the reset. Henry cares more about winning.

The extensions for Sale and Bogaerts showed this.

And JDM is pretty unlikely to opt out after this year.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post

The only way the Sox reset is if the team is awful. But right now, they are not.

However, they still might try to stay under at least one of the limits.

And JD would be wise to wait at least one more year before opting out...

While I don't think the odds of a reset after 2019 or 2020 are as high as I once did, I still think it is possible (maybe more after 2020 than 2019).

I do think staying under the $20M line may be a high priority. If that is true and JD stays, it's almost certain Porcello does not come back.

The only way the Sox reset is if the team is awful. But right now, they are not.

However, they still might try to stay under at least one of the limits.

And JD would be wise to wait at least one more year before opting out...
    It's also possible that JD might not opt out at any point.

I love him but he'll be 32 soon, some physical issues are cropping up, and the gradual decline may be what we now see.

Deity
    It's also possible that JD might not opt out at any point.

I love him but he'll be 32 soon, some physical issues are cropping up, and the gradual decline may be what we now see.

Gee I don’t know. Jacko seems 100% certain that JD opts out but Aroldis Chapman won’t...

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by TylerD View Post
    If Ryan Weber keeps playing like this and takes Porcellos spot then we don’t need Porcello as much as I like him.
    Ryan Weber is a nice story, but let’s not go overboard here.

He’s less than 2 years younger than Porcello and still has a ways to go to bring his career total to 100 IP, which is a total Porcello approaches every 3 month stretch of his career...

Ryan Weber is a nice story, but let’s not go overboard here.

He’s less than 2 years younger than Porcello and still has a ways to go to bring his career total to 100 IP, which is a total Porcello approaches every 3 month stretch of his career...
    Yes, it would be good to maintain a healthy skepticism about Weber for a while.

It was kind of fun watching him pitch, though. Only 88-89 on the fastball but a lot of movement on his pitches. With that approach you REALLY have to hit your spots.