Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 4/19 @ Tampa Bay

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    Terrible juju with the date. But maybe that is exactly what we need to kickstart the season.
    WIN
    April 19 was the Battle of Lexington and the shot heard round the world--all done by the Massachusetts Militia (founded in 1636) who couldn't wait for the 2d Continental Congress to do something. Nor for a Declaration of Independence. Other Americans were so astounded by what the Massachusetts Militia did, they did things like name their Kentucky camping grounds Lexington (now the 2d largest city in Kentucky) within weeks of April 19, 1775.

That said, I would hesitate to connect that amazing history to anything going on at the Trop tonight.

I was born at Fort Banks (now gone, but close to Boston) and both my parents grew up in Massachusetts--one in Agawam and the other in West Newton--but neither they nor I nor my 5 siblings went back to MA except for one year, 1953-54 when the old man was overseas.

So I can't really call myself a New Englander, but as an American am both proud of and astounded by what our forebearers achieved.

About 8 years later GW resigned his commission and returned to Mount Vernon, and 4 years after that presided over the 1787 Constitutional Convention which quickly wrote our defining document. 23 of the 40 signers had served in the Continental Army. Unfortunately, they failed to live up to the Declaration of Independence ("we hold these truth to be self-evident that all men are created equal") and to banish slavery, but it was still one of the great documents in history.

Deity
    I apologize for my pontificating above.

moonslav and TylerD came much closer to what makes talksox so much fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    I apologize for my pontificating above.

moonslav and TylerD came much closer to what makes talksox so much fun.
    I enjoy your posts keep on posting on

The Rays are overachieving to some extent . Looking at their lineup, there is no reason the Sox can't beat them .

I would love to watch this game tonight, but I don't want anything to bring my mood down. Hopefully we can play well so I can watch
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I can't disagree with you

Damn. Not showing the Sox game for me. Raptors game is on. Guess I’ll have to follow through my app.

Deity
    1. Andrew Benintendi (L) LF
    2. Mookie Betts (R) RF
    3. Mitch Moreland (L) 1B
    4. J.D. Martinez (R) DH
    5. Xander Bogaerts (R) SS
    6. Rafael Devers (L) 3B
    7. Christian Vazquez (R) C
    8. Jackie Bradley Jr. (L) CF
    9. Tzu-Wei Lin (L) 2B

1. Yandy Diaz (R) 1B
    2. Tommy Pham (R) LF
    3. Austin Meadows (L) DH
    4. Avisail Garcia (R) RF
    5. Daniel Robertson (R) 3B
    6. Guillermo Heredia (R) CF
    7. Brandon Lowe (L) 2B
    8. Willy Adames (R) SS
    9. Michael Perez (L) C

Welcome back Beni. And welcome here Lin.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

I've been watching the Cubs' game and they put up on the screen a stat I'd never seen before. It's called % of hard hit balls. Hard hit meaning anything 95+mph. Someone on the Cubs was leading the NL at 50%. They didn't show the AL leaders. I don't know if that's a new stat or if it's been around a while. Either way, I think it's helpful in breaking down a players approach at the plate.

I'll be Tivoing this game because the BRUINS are playing game 5 tonight. Still hate seeing JD batting 4th;he should be batting 3rd.Also, Betts s/b leading off. C'mon, Cora, get your head out of your azz.
    Last edited by SPLENDIDSPLINTER; 04-19-2019 at 04:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SPLENDIDSPLINTER View Post
    I'll be Tivoing this game because the BRUNS are playing game 5 tonight. Still hate seeing JD batting 4th; he should be batting 3rd. C'mon, Cora, get your head out of your azz.
    JD should be batting 4th. Either way, where he is batting is not the problem.

I was hoping to see Chavis tonight.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Quote Originally Posted by SPLENDIDSPLINTER View Post
    I've been watching the Cubs' game and they put up on the screen a stat I'd never seen before. It's called % of hard hit balls. Hard hit meaning anything 95+mph. Someone on the Cubs was leading the NL at 50%. They didn't show the AL leaders. I don't know if that's a new stat or if it's been around a while. Either way, I think it's helpful in breaking down a players approach at the plate.
    Fangraphs has that stat on its site, and has for several years, though I'm not sure I've seen it displayed on telecasts before.

Probably have, just wasn't paying attention. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    I was hoping to see Chavis tonight.
    As Merloni said, Chavis might be a good pinch hitting option if we're behind late in a game.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    As Merloni said, Chavis might be a good pinch hitting option if we're behind late in a game.
    Well we've been behind late in a game 15 times in 19 games, so I like those odds
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I can't disagree with you