Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 92 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: The annual Jackie Bradley Jr thread (2019 Edition)

The annual Jackie Bradley Jr thread (2019 Edition)

The spring training sensation since 2013 is hitting .138 .177 .172

Trade, DFA, release,

what say you?

Legend
    Keep.

Jackie Bradley Jr. remains among the most valuable Red Sox players.

Quote Originally Posted by harmony View Post
    Keep.

Jackie Bradley Jr. remains among the most valuable Red Sox players.
    ugh......that line of thinking is dangerous. We value our own players wayyyyy higher than other teams do. JBJ is probably a 4th OF anywhere else. He literally cant hit.

Darren Lewis was a GG defensive OF. He was a 4th OF on most teams, bc he couldnt hit.......and to be honest, Lewis was a better baserunner, and a better offensive player.

The reason most often given for keeping JBJr is the exceptional defensive play in the large yard known as CF, Fenway Park. There is also the expectation that later or later (sic) he will magically find his stroke and start a 2 month run of hitting like many other MLB OF'ers. The Sox should hold JBJr until it becomes obvious that they are either in or out of the pennant chase around trade deadline. He may be in a hot streak mode by then , either helping the team or of some value to another.

My argument has been that if the other 7 guys in the lineup are hitting near their career averages or better, then the Sox can carry two lightweight bats (catcher & JBJr) The problem to start this season is that with the exceptions of JDM, Bogey, Beni to a degree , MM to a degree nobody else was hitting .200 .

Last night's game with the Rays reminded me of one of the 2018 story lines: When Betts is hitting and on base, JDM gets rbi's. When the lower third of the lineup participates (Vazquez last night) good things happen. When you get HR's just over the fence instead of 2 ' short, they win. All that came together vs the Rays, and that team looked much different than the prior 4 games.

None of the choices the OP gave.
    He should stay exactly where he is...patrolling CF for the Boston Red Sox.
    other names i have posted under: none

Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    Of course.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by SCM33 View Post
    ugh......that line of thinking is dangerous. We value our own players wayyyyy higher than other teams do. JBJ is probably a 4th OF anywhere else. He literally cant hit.

Darren Lewis was a GG defensive OF. He was a 4th OF on most teams, bc he couldnt hit.......and to be honest, Lewis was a better baserunner, and a better offensive player.
    The only way to settle this is with numbers.

Darren Lewis accumulated 10.5 bWAR and 8.1 fWAR in 1354 games, 4654 PA's

Bradley has 12.3 bWAR and 11.6 fWAR in 688 games, 2559 PA's (a little over half as many as Lewis)

It's fair to say that Bradley is roughly twice as valuable as Lewis was.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    Amen brother.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by SCM33 View Post

For what it's worth, I am not a Red Sox fan.

Since the start of the 2015 season, Jackie Bradley Jr. has ranked 20th among all outfielders in fWAR:

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.as...ter=&players=0

Those are not the numbers of a fourth outfielder.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Station 13 View Post
    The spring training sensation since 2013 is hitting .138 .177 .172

Trade, DFA, release,

what say you?
    I think it's time to consider cutting ties with JBJ. Not now but certainly to look for an improvement for next season. If he still is doing poorly in July, I would consider replacing him this year.

Deity
    Keep Bradley.

Trade Devers...

Releasing JBJ is stupid. Selling low on him is stupid. I don't get why this thread gets started and debated every single April.

This dude is one of the most irrationally hated on guys on the team. He's been bad this year, I get that. But he always starts slow and since 2015 he has managed to be a 2+ WAR player every season. Who we going to replace him with? JD in the outfield and Pearce DH full time? Is that REALLY a better option?
    Last edited by Jasonbay44; 04-20-2019 at 11:18 PM.

JBJ is awful. The same discussions are made every year. He literally stinks for 75 percent of the season. He has one good stretch during the year and luckily for us it was in the fall last year.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasonbay44 View Post
    Releasing JBJ is stupid. Selling low on him is stupid. I don't get why this thread gets started and debated every single April.

This dude is one of the most irrationally hated on guys on the team. He's been bad this year, I get that. But he always starts slow and since 2015 he has managed to be a 2+ WAR player every season. Who we going to replace him with? JD in the outfield and Pearce DH full time? Is that REALLY a better option?
    Maybe because he is hitting .133 with more than 12 % of the season gone by. It is a pattern with this guy and perhaps we should look to do better. Could it be more stupid to support a chronic undedrperformer until he and a few others sink the chances of a team with the highest payroll in baseball?

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer View Post
    Maybe because he is hitting .133 with more than 12 % of the season gone by. It is a pattern with this guy and perhaps we should look to do better. Could it be more stupid to support a chronic undedrperformer until he and a few others sink the chances of a team with the highest payroll in baseball?
    If this is what JBJ does every year, then how is he an “underperformed?”

I think JBJ pretty much proves Sox fans want offense. Players like Bradley and Leon play their positions very well but don’t always, or if you're Leon, ever hit. And they gotta go. Now! Who cares if there is no one ready to step in.

Meanwhile Devers can hit, but couldn’t catch a cold if he was naked in Norway. And he’s the guy this team is supposed to build around?