Register now to remove this ad

Thread: This is a tough road trip

This is a tough road trip

My local minor league team, the Quad City River Bandits (Class A affiliate for the Astros) has been on the road for virtually the entire season since the Midwest League kicked things off on April 1.

Modern Woodman Park is located in Davenport, IA on the banks of the Mississippi River, which has been flooding since late March. The field itself is dry, but the stadium is surrounded by water and no one can get to the park. The team had constructed a pedestrian bridge before the season to get over the water, but the railroad decided that that would be a good time to raise the tracks that pass by the park (didn't bother telling anyone) and would not allow use of the bridge. The team had to play "home" games in other cities for most of April. Finally last Friday, they were able to play a game at home and then a twin-bill on Sunday. Yesterday, a temporary levee was breached, sending more water into the area; the bridge is now under water and the team has been forced to move more series to other parks.

I've seen a lot of players comes through here over the years; Correa and Bregman are among the recent .
    The Yankees could go 0-162 and it wouldn't be enough

That is horrible. Prayers for anybody suffering from the flooding. Something similar happened out here to the Hartford Yard Goats back in 2016. They relocated from nearby New Britain, CT, switched affiliates from the Twins to the Rockies, and got a new name and full rebrand, only to have their ballpark not be completed in time, due to a lawsuit brought on by both sides: the city of Hartford and the construction company. The Yard Goats ended up playing most of their inaugural season in 2016 on the road, eventually leasing out Dodd Stadium over in Norwich (former home of the Richmond Flying Squirrels and current home of the class A Connecticut Tigers). But, once the stadium finally opened, it was worth the wait. I played a HS game there less than a month after it opened. I'll never forget it
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I can't disagree with you