Register now to remove this ad

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Hitting vs. Fielding by lineup players

Quote Originally Posted by sk7326 View Post
    All the stats are fine - the problem is usually at the inference level.
    Truer words have never been spoken.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Well, just because it's hard to prove, doesn't mean it isn't a significant factor.

My guess is the best defensive SS in MLB makes between 50-90 more plays than the worst defensive SS, assuming every ball hit to both SSs are exactly the same.

There is evidence to show the same SSs consistently blow away others in plays made, even when you factor in which SS gets more/less balls hit to him that are playable.
    Why do you insist on comparing the worst to the best? To me it makes a whole lot more sense to compare the best to the middle of the pack guys, who have some range, but not great range. And in that case I would argue that some middle of the road guys do pretty well, maybe because, lacking great range, they get to be pretty consistent. You know, a guy like Bogie.

Speaking of which, did you know that the master shortstop Iglesias has started 32 games to Bogie's 36 games and has 106 TC's to Bogie's 133? But Iglesias has a DWAR of .9 and to Bogie's .3 (at least it's positive). Anyway, I would further argue that the number of total chances depends on other factors than the range of the SS.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    Why do you insist on comparing the worst to the best? To me it makes a whole lot more sense to compare the best to the middle of the pack guys, who have some range, but not great range. And in that case I would argue that some middle of the road guys do pretty well, maybe because, lacking great range, they get to be pretty consistent. You know, a guy like Bogie.

Speaking of which, did you know that the master shortstop Iglesias has started 32 games to Bogie's 36 games and has 106 TC's to Bogie's 133? But Iglesias has a DWAR of .9 and to Bogie's .3 (at least it's positive). Anyway, I would further argue that the number of total chances depends on other factors than the range of the SS.
    Okay, best to middle might make 35-50 more plays over a year.

Yes, I said TC's based on if both compared SSs had the exact same amount and type of hits to them. (hypothetical)

If you disagree, how many more plays to you think the best SS makes vs the middle one?
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?