Register now to remove this ad

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: 5/11 vs Seattle

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by vegasbob View Post
    Why does he often suck in the first. I'm sure if he and or the coaching staff knew they would try to fix it.
    I have a thought on this that is not even fleshed through enough for me to make it an opinion.

The two rotation arms we have that depend the most on throwing a variety of pitches well in any given stint IMO are Porcello and ERod. While they all throw a variety of pitches, in most instances Porcello and Erod are the most unsure what is going to work for them in any given stint. Its actually more of an issue for Porcello than Erod. In Erod's case he either can throw his Change or he can't. If he can't it will take quite a bit of effort for him to get RH hitters out and a fair amount of assistance from the Catcher.

Porcello for his part actually has to pare down the pitches he is capable of throwing to the pitches he can throw successfully that day.

Vaz actually seems better at helping the Starter get through early decisions about what the Starter can throw successfully on a given day and might actually be a better choice for Rick and ERod. Whereas Sandy might well be better suited to Sale, and Nat for example. If I were Cora I might try Vaz with Rick once Nat is back so Sandy has two guys he catches regularly. Vaz just seems to work through the early decision phase better for Starters who are often stuck dealing with a different set of realities regarding their own pitch types every outing. The world totally chances for Rick and Erod stint to stint. That is not quite the way it is for Chris and for Nat.

Price is somewhere in the middle. Price is not often going to head out to the mound these days with neither his Change nor his Cutter. He might not have one of them. But he will not often have neither to rely upon and work off his FB.
    Last edited by jung; 05-11-2019 at 07:16 PM.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by jung View Post
    I have a thought on this that is not even fleshed through enough for me to make it an opinion.

The two rotation arms we have that depend the most on throwing a variety of pitches well in any given stint IMO are Porcello and ERod. While they all throw a variety of pitches, in most instances Porcello and Erod are the most unsure what is going to work for them in any given stint. Its actually more of an issue for Porcello than Erod. In Erod's case he either can throw his Change or he can't. If he can't it will take quite a bit of effort for him to get RH hitters out and a fair amount of assistance from the Catcher.

Porcello for his part actually has to pare down the pitches he is capable of throwing to the pitches he can throw successfully that day.

Vaz actually seems better at helping the Starter get through early decisions about what the Starter can throw successfully on a given day and might actually be a better choice for Rick and ERod. Whereas Sandy might well be better suited to Sale, and Nat for example. If I were Cora I might try Vaz with Rick once Nat is back so Sandy has two guys he catches regularly. Vaz just seems to work through the early decision phase better for Starters who are often stuck dealing with a different set of realities regarding their own pitch types every outing. The world totally chances for Rick and Erod stint to stint. That is not quite the way it is for Chris and for Nat.

Price is somewhere in the middle. Price is not often going to head out to the mound these days with neither his Change nor his Cutter. He might not have one of them. But he will not often have neither to rely upon and work off his FB.
    Agree. ERod and Porcello both rely on heat in the 1st. Plus Porcello couldn’t throw a low pitch if you held a gun to his head.

Deity
    The skankees lose. Either way i would love to pass the skankees in the standings.

Nice of Altuve to go on the DL right before we play the Astros, even if it hurts my fantasy team, Its nice to not deal with him.

Not worthy of it's own thread so I'll post here.

How about that Mitchy 4 Bags?

This forum has been all over him as a waste of money and whatever.

He is not George Scott but he is one very good 1st baseman.

And all of a sudden he is pounding the ball with regularity.

I think he's a bargain at $6.1 or whatever they are paying him.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy View Post

I'm a Moreland fan. He's off to a hell of a start.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Deity

George Scott played Patton.

Deity
    Moreland is 6th on the Sox in hits, but 1st in dingers, 12 (Bogie and Betts each have 7) and rbi's, 29 (Bogie has 26), with an OPS of .908 (Betts is .907 and Chavis .956).

I think one big reason why JBJ is still starting--other than his defense--is that, when Chavis and Moreland are both in the lineup, the Sox have 7 guys over .800 OPS (Bogie's is the lowest at .806) and Vazquez with a very respectable .788 OPS.

I have beaten JBJ like a drum all season long, but right now he's actually a pretty good fit in CF despite his .436 OPS. This keeps Mookie in RF, Beni in LF, and JDM as DH.

Also, with Pedey having another false start for rehabbing his knee, it looks like Chavis will stay at 2B. Last night was Chavis's 5th straight hitless game, but I'm not yet worried about him.

If today is indeed another postponement, Price should be available to start against Colorado or Houston.

These Sox are not only hitting a ton and winning, they are getting their rotation back. Eovaldi could be back in 3 weeks.
    Last edited by Maxbialystock; 05-12-2019 at 09:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    Agree. ERod and Porcello both rely on heat in the 1st. Plus Porcello couldn’t throw a low pitch if you held a gun to his head.
    Max's thought on the inability to keep the ball down , particularly to RH hitters may well be the key. As mentioned before I have been at Porcello games and watched his pregame routine of about 45 minutes, so it's not for lack of prep that he starts off the game by dealing "rocket" balls.

He starts every year off very well. It would be nice, if he could do something like this all year. (He did show some life in the playoffs, so it's hard to be too critical.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Typical.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

I completely agree about Moreland. I like both his original signing and his re-signing.

Then again, I really like the Pearce re-signing too.