Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2019 IFA Thread

2019 IFA Thread

@redsoxstats

Sox aren't linked to any of the top July 2nd prospects this year... could they be hoping a Cuban defector (Yolbert Sanchez), who was ranked #5 and is free to sign now, waits another month and a half? Also the Sox were linked with Cuban pitcher Yeinier Cano last fall and he's not signed either.

https://calltothepen.com/2019/02/18/...lbert-sanchez/
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Yanks are expected to sign the top prospect available, Jasson Dominguez. His expected bonus is $5 mil. That’s almost our entire budget. We will trade for more, but I’d expect maybe one more top 20 signing then spreading the wealth after that. He would be a huge get, though, and would slot into our top 10 almost immediately

Updated rankings have the sox still outside looking in. With all the inroads the sox have made in the INTL forum, the fact that they aren't linked to a single top 30 guy is pretty bad. Yankees are linked to #1 and #18
    Hal sucks

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    Updated rankings have the sox still outside looking in. With all the inroads the sox have made in the INTL forum, the fact that they aren't linked to a single top 30 guy is pretty bad. Yankees are linked to #1 and #18
    Maybe it's a down year for prospects? IDK. It's weird though.
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Not a down year at the top. Puasson, who is set to sign with the A’s, was considered the best all around prospect coming out of the IFA ranks in 10+ years. That was until the Yankee signing, Jasson Dominguez, made the rounds. He’s said to be a Mike Trout style player and I’ve read SRs say he’s the best prospect to come out of the DR that they’ve ever seen. It’s definitely not a down year to see two talents this good come out in the same year

This was an area we gained a lot of our top prospects from. When I warned of the steep rocky terrain we were headed towards, I emphasized how the IFA rule changes and restrictions on high spending and winning teams would make re-stocking the farm very difficult.

Here we are.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

This was an area we gained a lot of our top prospects from. When I warned of the steep rocky terrain we were headed towards, I emphasized how the IFA rule changes and restrictions on high spending and winning teams would make re-stocking the farm very difficult.

Here we are.
    You're right, the spending penalties almost force a team to tank for a few seasons if they want to re-stock the farm.

Quote Originally Posted by Carpin View Post
    You're right, the spending penalties almost force a team to tank for a few seasons if they want to re-stock the farm.
    Or to deal for more. Cashman has never been afraid to deal near MLB or MLB level talent for IFA money. With the fact that we have the #1 guy eating up nearly our whole budget, we will need to do so again. Especially since the Yankees signed the #7 guy (Jhon Diaz) and the #30 guy
    Hal sucks

Or to deal for more. Cashman has never been afraid to deal near MLB or MLB level talent for IFA money. With the fact that we have the #1 guy eating up nearly our whole budget, we will need to do so again. Especially since the Yankees signed the #7 guy (Jhon Diaz) and the #30 guy
    Jhon Diaz is #18 but I see your point.

Red Sox, D-Backs, Rays and some other teams are not linked to any of the top 30 and they have some money to spend

mlb had him #18, but I read elsewhere that BA had him #7 (I don't have a BA subscription, so I cannot verify)
    Hal sucks

The other big area we used to stock up the farm was comp picks for losing high level players to free agency. That system has been changed, as well, and we no longer are able to get good prospects with supplemental picks- plus there used to be several "hard to sign" prospects that dropped into that range for high spending teams to scoop up. Not any more.

Here we are.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

mlb had him #18, but I read elsewhere that BA had him #7 (I don't have a BA subscription, so I cannot verify)
    BA didn't publish rankings before the draft

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stor...y-2-prospects/

The other big area we used to stock up the farm was comp picks for losing high level players to free agency. That system has been changed, as well, and we no longer are able to get good prospects with supplemental picks- plus there used to be several "hard to sign" prospects that dropped into that range for high spending teams to scoop up. Not any more.

Here we are.
    The comp system was overhauled precisely to keep the teams at the top from sustaining their success. The fact that teams can only trade for 60% instead of 90% over their cap for this season shows this. The IFA penalties for FA signings also highlights this. The commish wanted true parity. He is getting it in spades
    Hal sucks

fangraphs have Jhon Diaz at #7

All-Star
    fangraphs have Jhon Diaz at #7
    They have Jasson as the 61st best prospect in baseball as of today. WOW!!!