Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 MLB Draft

Getting back to the original projection, I love the idea of Callihan. Lefty power, good bat, older HS player with a good arm but questions about where his glove plays out. I’ll take the kid who can hit and has issues fielding over the kid who cannot hit but is a great athlete

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    Getting back to the original projection, I love the idea of Callihan. Lefty power, good bat, older HS player with a good arm but questions about where his glove plays out. I’ll take the kid who can hit and has issues fielding over the kid who cannot hit but is a great athlete
    Going for the "great athlete" is how you get the Trey Ball's of the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Going for the "great athlete" is how you get the Trey Ball's of the world.
    And the Dave Winfield’s, Joe Mauer’s, and Aaron Judge’s

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    And the Dave Winfield’s, Joe Mauer’s, and Aaron Judge’s
    Winfield: In 1973, he was named All-American and voted MVP of the College World Series—as a pitcher.

He was an athlete AND a great baseball player.

A stand-out in baseball, Mauer struck out only once during his four-year high school career, and hit .605 during his senior season.[7][10][11] Years later, Mauer laughingly told an interviewer: "I can remember the time I did strike out. It was junior year, and it was in the state tournament. I came back to the bench and everybody thought something was wrong with me."[8] Mauer's high school batting average exceeded .500 every year.[9] He also set a Minnesota high school record and tied the national preps mark by hitting a home run in seven consecutive games.[6] Mauer caught for the Team USA Junior National team from 1998 to 2000 and hit .595 during his final year on the team. He was voted best hitter at the World Junior Baseball Championship in Canada in 2000. In 2001, Mauer was voted the United States District V Player of the Year.

Seems like he was already a great baseball player, not just an athlete.

https://gobulldogs.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=140

Judge was a great ballplayer too.

My point and Jacko's point is that you go for the guy who can already hit the shit out of the ball, not someone whose upside strictly comes from being an athlete.

Right, if you have a good stick, you’ll find your way into a lineup. There are some guys who start off with weak bats and develop into good hitters. Those guys are rare, but everyone dreams on them because they’re the rare ones who become MVPs. I’ll take the kid who is gonna be a 3B/1B who I know can hit now and should hit later

Ball hit .330 as a senior in highschool. Judge hit .500.

The Sox reached for Ball because of his athleticism. It was said over and over again by those in the organization.

Deity

The Sox reached for Ball because of his athleticism. It was said over and over again by those in the organization.
    It wasn’t all that much of a reach. They took him at 7 and every mock draft had him going between 8 and 14. They basically took him the only time they could have.

Sometimes the high draft picks just don’t pan out...

If athleticism was the key to overall baseball success, you would not have seen CC unsuccessfully trying for his 250th career win last night. OK, he's an easy target. The significant criteria for baseball success include, eye sight better than 20/20, fast reaction time , superior eye hand coordination, quick twitch muscles not just bulk strength, sprint speed running. There's probably a few more testable metrics that will weed out those that succeed at the HS level, but not beyond AA level.

HS BA’s don’t tell you that much. Trust me. I hit nearly .600 my junior year, and I wasn’t pro material, lol

Hey mods. Can you move this to the prospect forum?
    Hal sucks

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    Hey mods. Can you move this to the prospect forum?
    Done.

I was hoping Orioles would fuck up and pass on Adley Rutschman but apparently even they couldn't fuck this pick up.

To this point, the mocks have been right.
    Hal sucks

Allan and Malone falling due to signability
    Hal sucks

Davidson fell to the A's. Yankees up
    Hal sucks

I like Volpe as a prospect. He has a bit of Jeter in him. High ranking intangibles, good hit tool, great defense, projectable average power. But I liked Callihan more. I go for the hit tool guy every time over the athlete. Volpe seems like more than an athlete due to his now ability to hit, but I do love the big power guys. Hopefully Callihan falls to us at 38
    Hal sucks