Register now to remove this ad

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: 2019 MLB Draft

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    This is very true.

Maybe the Sox need to draft a guy named Popgun who does have the arm...

They drafted the wonderfully easy to spell Ryan Zeferjahn.

https://twitter.com/jnorris427/statu...67085866225664

Scouting grades: Fastball: 60 | Slider: 55 | Changeup: 50 | Control: 40 | Overall: 45

Part of a crazy-deep Kansas high school pitching crop in 2016 -- Riley Pint went fourth overall to the Rockies, Joey Wentz signed for $3.05 million as a supplemental first-rounder, Cole Duensing nearly doubled his slot value in the sixth round -- Zeferjahn could have been a top-three-rounds pick if he hadn't been set on becoming a Jayhawk. Three years later, his scouting reports read pretty much the same and he has the same upside in the Draft. He has a big arm that produces inconsistent results, as evidenced in early April when he gave up nine runs against Texas Tech and then struck out a career-high 14 against Oklahoma State in his next start.

Zeferjahn is capable of working with a 93-96 mph fastball as a starter and has climbed as high as 98, though there are games where he'll operate at 90-93. His heater is fairly straight considering he throws from a low-three-quarters slot, an angle that makes it tough for him to stay on top of his slider, which ranges anywhere from 80-87 mph and from a below-average slurve to a plus offering with hard bite. His changeup grades better than his slider at times, though it also lacks consistency.

Zeferjahn is athletic but tends to get under his pitches, costing him control and quality. He doesn't have a track record of throwing strikes, leading several scouts to project a move the bullpen, where he could regularly feature a double-plus fastball in shorter stints. He's at his best when he pitches closer to a traditional three-quarters arm angle but has trouble doing so.

Read more: http://forum.soxprospects.com/thread...#ixzz5pu5y9pUr
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

This kid screams reliever to me. His command never changed from HS and his velocity is inconsistent as a starter. He’s the kind of guy you put in the pen, have him grip it and rip it at 98 and blow guys away

Legend
    Ryan Zeferjahn

Law:

78. Ryan Zeferjahn, RHP, Kansas -- Zeferjahn is 90-95 with a fringy slider and below-average changeup, coming from the extreme third-base side of the rubber for deception but some crossfire action to his delivery.
    Longenhagen

Zeferjahn ended up 3rd in a loaded 2016 Kansas prep pitching class (Riley Pint, Joey Wentz) but took a step forward this summer with Team USA, flashing two plus pitches and a chance to start. His spring hasn't been great, with more of a reliever look and less consistent execution. (Rating 35+, some starter potential but likely pen)

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    This kid screams reliever to me. His command never changed from HS and his velocity is inconsistent as a starter. He’s the kind of guy you put in the pen, have him grip it and rip it at 98 and blow guys away
    Yup. CAN THEY PROMOTE HIM AND FELTMAN TO BOSTON TOMORROW?!?!?!?

My great nephews have played against a number of the guys that will get drafted. I have a good video of the younger one a (high school sophomore) striking out the Cards #2 pick Trejyn Fletcher. Next year, the older one will be draft eligible/
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

4th round pick- Noah Song out of the Naval Academy. Interesting pick. He's a back end 1st round talent but has a 2 year Naval commitment and won't be available until he is 25.
    Hal sucks

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    4th round pick- Noah Song out of the Naval Academy. Interesting pick. He's a back end 1st round talent but has a 2 year Naval commitment and won't be available until he is 25.
    Thanks Obama!

Song is a Golden Spikes Finalist and had a 1.44 ERA with 161 Ks in 94 IP.

5 (167): @RedSox select Kansas (KS) C Jaxx Groshans.

https://www.mlb.com/video/2019-draft...-c?t=mlb-draft

https://kuathletics.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=15525

Jaxx hit 6 taters in his first 6 games this year. Legit power?

Apparently, Jaxx has a good arm to go with that power, just needs to refine his work behind the dish (1b/COF profile down the road?).

Legend
    Noah Song

Longenhagen

#49 Full Report
    The way teams value Song depends on whether or not they feel confident the U.S. Department of Defense will re-write service academy athlete policy. Currently, Song must complete two years of Naval service. This administration may reinstate an Obama-era rule that allows athletes to petition for an exemption to pursue sports. If that rule were currently in place, Song would go in the top 50. He throws hard, attacks hitters with his fastball and slider, and will mix in the occasional knee-buckling, rainbow curveball. If teams think Song will have to serve and thus won't be able to pitch again until he's 24, he'll fall to Day 3.
    Jaxxon Groshans #49 misc college bat per Fangraphs

6 (197): @RedSox select University of San Diego (CA) P Chris Murphy.