Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 MLB Draft

2019 MLB Draft

Sox with pick #43. Yanks with picks #30 and 38. Haven’t seen any good mocks out to the Sox pick. Have seen the latest CBS mock that has the Yanks picking Tyler Callihan from Providence HS in Florida. Lefty power hitter who plays 3b.

Everyone seems to think Jack Leiter is untouchable, but there’s a rumor that he will only break his Vandy commit for the Yanks. We will find out tonight
    Hal sucks

Legend
    Used to follow it, still got my Perfect Game subscription, but as I got older, and ready to retire, just too many things to do. After the Draft I will look at how we do. Todays Scouts are nerds, no good, you need the actual Scouting. Those are the best.

Legend
    I have been saying for years, teams should be investing on Scouting, and heavily. You pay too much for Major League talent. You have to keep the talent flowing.
    Many times just like football you'll scout one kid, and another that's under the radar, catches your eye. Actual Scouting is important.
    MLB Draft is important, just for cost alone. Unless you want that 240 million dollar pay-roll.

This would be perfect post for the MiLB forum we have on here.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    This would be perfect post for the MiLB forum we have on here.
    Last I checked, the Sox will be picking tonight, so it fits.

Nope. This forum is for the current BOSOX team. Minor league/organizational stuff is posted in the Red Sox Minor League forum where the 2018 thread exists.

https://www.talksox.com/forum/thread...B-Draft-Thread

Ah, crap. I thought I was in the minor league forum.
    Hal sucks

Well, let's just assume YOTN will eventually move this, so we may as well continue the discussion here.

http://news.soxprospects.com/2019/05...ftpreview.html

Second Round (#43 overall)

Kendall Williams, RHP, IMG Academy (FL). Williams has an ideal pitcher’s frame at 6-foot-6 and 205 pounds with room to grow. At 18, he already has five pitches with above-average potential, including a low-90s fastball that tops out at 94 mph, a mid-70s curveball, a low-80s slider, a low-80s changeup, and a high-80s two-seamer. He’s committed to Vanderbilt, which could result in signability concerns – but also could mean he’s available at #43.

Isaiah Campbell, RHP, Arkansas. Campbell has been one of the best pitchers in the SEC in 2019 as a redshirt junior. He has a solid frame at 6-foot-4, 225, but will need to watch his weight as his career progresses. The right-hander mixes an above-average low-to-mid-90s fastball with an above-average mid-80s slider, and a developing splitter with solid potential. His fastball has hit the high-90s in short bursts. Campbell has the ceiling of a mid-rotation starter if he can keep his command consistent and continue to hone his secondary pitches.

Rece Hinds, 3B, IMG Academy (FL). Williams’ teammate at IMG Academy, Hinds is the top power bat in the draft, already showcasing plus plus power from the right side at the age of 18. However, his hot tool is questionable, he has struggled recognizing average off-speed stuff, and he lacks plate discipline. Defensively, he’s played at shortstop in high school but will likely move to third base or cornr outfield as a pro. His plus arm strength would play up at third base or right field, but he hasn’t looked comfortable in the outfield as a prep player. Hinds is committed to Louisiana State. He could be off the board by the end of the first round.

Tommy Henry, LHP, Michigan. Henry would instantly be Michigan alum Ian Cundall’s favorite prospect out of the gate. At 6-foot-3, 190 pounds, he has a projectable frame and room to add more velocity to his 90-92 mph fastball, which has peaked at 94 mph. His secondary pitches, a low-80s slider and a low-80s changeup, both have above-average potential. Henry has plus control of all three pitches. He likely will be available at #43, and it’s not inconceivable that he slips to Boston’s next pick at #69.

Brooks Lee, SS, San Luis Obispo (CA). Lee has a plus hit tool from both sides of the plate, making him one of the best prep prospects on the West Coast. He’s a line drive hitter that should hit for a high average with doubles power, and he has some projection to add a little bit of home run pop. Lee is an above-average defensive player with a high baseball IQ and outstanding fundamentals – he should end up at shortstop or second base as a pro. He’s committed to Cal Poly, where his father is the head coach.

Other players who the Red Sox could look at this pick include Providence HS (FL) 3B Tyler Callihan, Eastern Florida State JC RHP Carter Stewart, and Penn Charter HS (PA) OF Sammy Siani.

Second Round (#69 overall)

Trejyn Fletcher, OF, Deering (ME). Extremely athletic prep prospect out of Maine who recently reclassified to become 2019 draft eligible. Committed to Vanderbilt. Hasn’t faced enough quality competition to adequately measure his hit tool. Beyond that, his power, speed, defensive, and arm tools all flash plus potential.

Ethan Hearn, C, Mobile Christian (AL). Large-framed prep catcher with a plus arm and above-average raw power. Hit tool is below average and he needs to work on his defensive actions behind the plate. Hard worker. Committed to Mississippi State.

Josh Smith, SS, Louisiana State. Another Josh Smith in the Red Sox system? Sure, why not, especially when this Josh Smith is a potential five-tool shortstop. Each of his tools have potential to be average or better, although none stand out as plus. High floor. Excelled on the Cape in 2017. Could shift to second base as a pro.

Davis Wendzel, 3B, Baylor. Boston selected the slick-bearded Wendzel in the 37th round last year, knowing full well he intended to return to Baylor for his junior season. Above-average hit tool, below-average present power. Solid-average arm and defense at third base. Below-average runner.

Matthew Lugo, SS, Carlos Beltran Academy (FL). Top Puerto Rican prospect in the draft class. Committed to Miami. Plus arm, plus speed. Needs work on defense but shows the athleticism to develop into an outstanding shortstop. Impressive but very raw offensive tool set. There’s a lot of variability in his projected draft slot – he could go as early as the first round if a team is enamored with his high ceiling, or could slip a few rounds due to his rawness and signability concerns.

Hinds I have seen in nearly all mocks going before the Yanks select at 30. I have seen Lugo mocked in the sox range in some of the draft mocks. The others I have heard of transiently, but none consistently mocked in the first round.
    Hal sucks

I try not to pay attention too much to mock drafts because (a) I don't have the time to and (b) any selection outside the top 10 comes with increased risk. If the Sox had #7 again, I'd be much more interested, but having a first pick be in the 40's just makes it that much more of a gamble.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post

Everyone seems to think Jack Leiter is untouchable, but there’s a rumor that he will only break his Vandy commit for the Yanks. We will find out tonight
    These types of rumors usually spawn from NY media creating this image that everyone wants the Yankees and the Yankees only.

Like anyone else, Leiter will forego his Vanderbilt commitment if he is offered enough money from anyone. With the Yankees not having any picks in the top 30, their overall draft budget might not be enough to accommodate him. Ditto Boston...

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I try not to pay attention too much to mock drafts because (a) I don't have the time to and (b) any selection outside the top 10 comes with increased risk. If the Sox had #7 again, I'd be much more interested, but having a first pick be in the 40's just makes it that much more of a gamble.
    I like to look at the tools added to the team. I am especially intrigued because of the added Cincy pick plus the altered rules on players selected beyond the 10th round. When the rules started, anything over $50K was counted. Now it's $125K. It allows for draft savings in those second tier (5-10) rounds to be used either to entice later signings
    Hal sucks

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    These types of rumors usually spawn from NY media creating this image that everyone wants the Yankees and the Yankees only.

Like anyone else, Leiter will forego his Vanderbilt commitment if he is offered enough money from anyone. With the Yankees not having any picks in the top 30, their overall draft budget might not be enough to accommodate him. Ditto Boston...
    Volpe and Leiter both have "let it be known" per a few of the mock draft creators, that they want to stay on the east coast. Leiter has said he would only sign with NY to forgo Vandy. Leiter has the opportunity to pick his spot as dad is loaded. Volpe, not so much
    Hal sucks

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    Volpe and Leiter both have "let it be known" per a few of the mock draft creators, that they want to stay on the east coast. Leiter has said he would only sign with NY to forgo Vandy. Leiter has the opportunity to pick his spot as dad is loaded. Volpe, not so much
    These stories aren’t new.

If Leiter gets drafted by Team X and they unload the draft budget on him, he’ll get reconsider.

In fact, a lot of times I think that’s the plan all along for some of the high profile high schoolers who can use their college as a negotiation ploy...

There’s definitely some ridiculousness to this. In Leiter’s case, he’d be able to lean on those developing him as he’s in the Yankee family. Who knows if it’s some power trip or not