Register now to remove this ad

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: 2019 MLB Draft

11 (347): @RedSox select North Andover HS (MA) P Sebastian Keane.

https://www.perfectgame.org/Players/...aspx?ID=560049
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

@redsoxstats

The best HS player in Massachusetts, Sebastian Keane from North Andover, went undrafted in rounds 1-10 and is one of the top prep players available. He's going to have some big offers tonight to break his Northeastern commitment as round 11 is where these types go.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Legend
    Keith Law's writeup on AL draft classes http://insider.espn.com/mlb/insider/...team-breakdown

Boston was the only team without a first-round pick this year, with its top pick bumped down 10 spots to No. 43 because the team exceeded the luxury-tax threshold. The Red Sox started their draft with Cam Cannon (2), a shortstop from the University of Arizona who has to move to another position, likely second base, but has great bat-to-ball skill and at least good doubles power. They went for more upside with their normal second-round pick, Puerto Rican shortstop Matthew Lugo (2), who just turned 18 a few weeks ago. I think the consensus is that he's likely to move to third base in the long run, but he's here for his swing, which he repeats well and produces hard line-drive contact that I think will turn into above-average power when his body fills out.

Kansas right-hander Ryan Zeferjahn (3) has a starter repertoire but below-average command and just had a down year for the Jayhawks, up to 95 with a short slider and circle-change, nothing very consistent, and walked too many hitters this year with a near-4 ERA.

Right-hander Noah Song (4) is the best prospect to come out of the Naval Academy in quite some time, up to 96 with good spin on two different breaking balls. His delivery has some red flags, with a high elbow and late pronation, but the bigger concern is when he might be allowed to pitch since he has a two-year commitment to serve in the Navy after graduating.

Jaxx Groshans (5) is the older brother of Blue Jays prospect Jordan Groshans, who was a first-rounder last year. A catcher for the University of Kansas, he's fringy behind the plate and did most of his damage out of the conference this year, hitting just .272/.434/.432 in Big 12 play. He seems like a potential backup. Lefty Chris Murphy (6) was a senior at the University of San Diego but has good enough stuff to be a prospect, up to 95 with an above-average curveball. He just hasn't had the kind of results he should have with that stuff.

Sox 4 Ever

Deity

That’s actually not all that impressive. I know the Sox had lower top picks, but the only time they came up with at least an even share was in the Fangraphs Top 200...

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    That’s actually not all that impressive. I know the Sox had lower top picks, but the only time they came up with at least an even share was in the Fangraphs Top 200...
    1. There is a lot of variability in the lists - ESPN and Fangraphs, BA and MLB have full time people on the job, so the lists all have credibility. The methods differ too, so you get some diversity. (fangraphs and ESPN scout the prospects themselves)
    2. Ultimately signability matters in a lot of these choices. Remember, the Sox HAVE to sign their Top 10 picks to claim all of the pool money. I think from the picks it's pretty clear they are going to try to find some bonus money for Keane who they took in Round 11. Faltine in Round 39 I am assuming will honor his Texas commit (he doesn't last to Round 39 if he showed any inclination of signing). You have to assume that the college seniors the Sox took in Rounds 6-10 are there more or less because they will allow them to save pool money for Keane. (Dalton and Scott are probably org guys who will take the $10K bonus happily)

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    They weren't expected to gather an "even share," but they seemingly did pretty good with what they had.Better than their slot indicated, for sure, by almost any measure (assuming these rankings have any merit).
    Sox 4 Ever

Sebastian Keane 11th rd pick by the Sox decides to attend Northeastern University, he was trying to get a bonus of 1 Million.

Quote Originally Posted by Carpin View Post
    Sebastian Keane 11th rd pick by the Sox decides to attend Northeastern University, he was trying to get a bonus of 1 Million.
    Does that free up enough money to sign another guy not expected to be signed?
    Sox 4 Ever

Not sure, it looks like they used more money in other picks and didn't have enough to sign this kid

Quote Originally Posted by Carpin View Post
    Not sure, it looks like they used more money in other picks and didn't have enough to sign this kid
    Who have we signed, and who is the best guy still unsigned?
    Sox 4 Ever

All the draft grades I have seen have panned both team's drafts and I agree with them. I think the Yankees draft might bear fruit in some of the later relief pitcher arms, just because that is what we do. But I don't like the Volpe pick. The Sikkema pick was confusing based on what we do best (develop power rather than finesse). 2-10 wasn't bad, but when you have two picks between 30 and 38, you have to come away with a big tool player and we didn't get one. The sox didn't have a pick til 43. Cannon seems like a reach type pick. Lugo seems like a total package player, but he is more of the Volpe type with intangibles over bat. Song is the best pick the sox made. The rest is meh. I think the Yanks had an opportunity and whiffed. I think the sox didn't really make any surprise additions and didn't help their farm out of the gate. Could guys develop and surprise, of course, but this seems like a wasted year for both teams
    Hal sucks