Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 34 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: When does DD push the panic button..??

When does DD push the panic button..??

With the struggles and injuries we continue to have when does changes start to be made? I know all this will be a moot point if we run off 6-8 games in a row... however, we need to call a spade a spade here and be honest with ourselves. What will be done if anything and what changes can we expect to be made. Who can we afford to go out and get to try and make a late run. Will it be pitching help or in the way of a bat in the lineup somewhere. In my opinion (which doesn't matter) we need a lead-off guy who can steal some bases and be the guy that allows Mookie to have more RBI chances when hes's actually putting the ball into play and not popping out the right center all day. When it comes to the BP, some guys continue to get looks and continue to piss away leads or close games... can and will SW and Johnson actually make a difference to ignore the help we need?

The big mistake was going along with Cora’s idiotic approach to not ramping up his starters in spring training.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

ASAP. On paper there is absolutely NO WAY we should be playing like this just because we have a couple injuries. That is utter bullshit and a pathetic excuse to use. This team last year was one of (if not) the best team we have had in Sox history and we destroyed teams especially in the playoffs. So now because we are missing Martinez, Moreland, Eovaldi we should not even be in a playoff spot lmao??? In 3 of the 4 games we had against Tampa we put up 4 stinkin runs!!! That's beyond pathetic. Guys like Mookie need to step it up and fast otherwise we won't even be in the playoff race after the All Star Break. DD and Cora need to talk and light a fire under this team. If missing a couple players on offense is "the reason" why our offense sucks ass so bad then just blow this team up and start from scratch.

Also don't be fooled by the stats. I think the Sox are in the top 5 batting wise but we score our runs in chunks.... Like against teams such as the White Sox or Royals. We totally shit ourselves against the top teams like Tampa, Houston and the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    The big mistake was going along with Cora’s idiotic approach to not ramping up his starters in spring training.
    This! Agreed. I failed to mention that in my rant.

i dont think he panics for another month. July 10th seems like a good deadline to start the "panic" process.
    I agree with A7 & TD on the causes at the moment. but i believe we can go on a tear with this team as-is.
    color me hopefully optimistic.....
    other names i have posted under: none

Please note--Promotions of young rookies from your MiLB organization occur when the player is ready to take over a former MLB strarter's role due to injury or non-performance. The Sox skinny team at Pawtucket has already fed Chavis, Lin, Travis, and now Marco Hernandez into the MLB lineup, plus sending up some truly useless throwers of the baseball. The tank is empty right now.

So let's trade--To get functional players , like Pearce and Eovaldi last year, you need to give up something, usually a developing prospect, or taking on a "bad" contract. There's virtually no cap room for a bad contract, and few options to trade away (not none, just few).

IF DD thought he could really help the team with a move, the following names will get thrown around: JBJr, Nunez, Pearce, Holt, Benintendi , Hembree, and Brasier. Barnes , Workman and Walden are probably safe, all the rest can come or go with little effect. Each of the others creates about as much of a hole as you are trying to replace.

I think it was the plan all along to compete with the ones who won last year and it has just not played out, so don't do anything drastic until the off season. Maybe a WC will come your way which gets you one more game against a good pitcher.

My answer to this question is mostly rhetorical, but here goes. What does "pushing the panic button" mean? If it means sell off the farm and get some help for the club, who do you have to sell off? In early June, prices for the trade market are astronomical. They almost always come down come the deadline, especially this year with no waiver deals. Then you have to look at the sox farm system and see what kind of player you can get. Casas is your top talent and holding his own, but he's in A ball with an over 30% K rate. Dalbec is a big time power guy with an enormous K rate as well in AA. He might be your best trade chip, albeit he is flawed hence why he's not a top 100 guy. Duran might end up fetching you something. Hernandez is all stuff and hype and no production. He's a reliever IMO. Groome is still on the mend. The sox have no top 5 tool prospect. All have warts. Push a few to the center of the table and you can get a bite, but not right now. They will have to wait til the deadline for that. Then the question becomes, are the sox allowed to surpass the final threshold again? That remains to be seen, clearly. There is no such thing as a panic button in June outside of becoming a seller and letting everyone know it. The sox will need to bide their time into July and pick and choose their upgrades once the teams with big talent in the minors sell off some of their minor league talent to get the big time rentals. The sox will be stuck in the secondary market. I told you guys from the beginning of the season, the way DD built your squad essentially means your team from opening day is the team you are gonna have, more or less, come the end of the year. The only thing that can be pushed is the production from your current players
    Hal sucks

Legend
    The Red Sox may look more closely at stepping back if the Sox do worse than a split in the upcoming four-game series against the Texas Rangers.

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    My answer to this question is mostly rhetorical, but here goes. What does "pushing the panic button" mean? If it means sell off the farm and get some help for the club, who do you have to sell off? In early June, prices for the trade market are astronomical. They almost always come down come the deadline, especially this year with no waiver deals. Then you have to look at the sox farm system and see what kind of player you can get. Casas is your top talent and holding his own, but he's in A ball with an over 30% K rate. Dalbec is a big time power guy with an enormous K rate as well in AA. He might be your best trade chip, albeit he is flawed hence why he's not a top 100 guy. Duran might end up fetching you something. Hernandez is all stuff and hype and no production. He's a reliever IMO. Groome is still on the mend. The sox have no top 5 tool prospect. All have warts. Push a few to the center of the table and you can get a bite, but not right now. They will have to wait til the deadline for that. Then the question becomes, are the sox allowed to surpass the final threshold again? That remains to be seen, clearly. There is no such thing as a panic button in June outside of becoming a seller and letting everyone know it. The sox will need to bide their time into July and pick and choose their upgrades once the teams with big talent in the minors sell off some of their minor league talent to get the big time rentals. The sox will be stuck in the secondary market. I told you guys from the beginning of the season, the way DD built your squad essentially means your team from opening day is the team you are gonna have, more or less, come the end of the year. The only thing that can be pushed is the production from your current players
    Well said. Though I agree with you I still think a lot of this falls on the manager. Have you seen Coras boring ass press conference after each loss? “Tough loss against a tough team, thought we fought hard but came up short” light a fire man!!!!! I’m so sick of his calm cool self. It worked last year when we were winning but now it’s time to light a fire under this team and I don’t think he is capable of it. Reminds me of Tony Dungy with the Colts. Brilliant coach and very nice but I don’t think I ever once saw him spark a match under the team. (Granted he didn’t have to as Colts always had a winning record) but Cora needs to adjust and do something but he just doesn’t seem capable of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Noles_1335 View Post
    With the struggles and injuries we continue to have when does changes start to be made? I know all this will be a moot point if we run off 6-8 games in a row... however, we need to call a spade a spade here and be honest with ourselves. What will be done if anything and what changes can we expect to be made. Who can we afford to go out and get to try and make a late run. Will it be pitching help or in the way of a bat in the lineup somewhere. In my opinion (which doesn't matter) we need a lead-off guy who can steal some bases and be the guy that allows Mookie to have more RBI chances when hes's actually putting the ball into play and not popping out the right center all day. When it comes to the BP, some guys continue to get looks and continue to piss away leads or close games... can and will SW and Johnson actually make a difference to ignore the help we need?
    Although Eovaldi just suffered a setback, I think we can count on him being back in time to be a big help. A few from Moreland, Pearce, Lin, Johnson & Wright should give us a boost.

We will make a deal or two, but I'm not sure what's out there now. DD should not "panic," and I'm sure he's on the phone a lot.

I do not think we need to deal this week. If we pick up a 1Bman or 2Bman, we'll have to cut a big priced player or demote Chavis, when the others get healthy.

Wrigh and Johnson are out of options, but we can trade one. The only roster space we have open is with the pitching staff, and they've been doing okay.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

No panic button this year. Deal off an asset if you can get back some really good prospects, but I think they'll be able to compete in 2020.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by harmony View Post
    The Red Sox may look more closely at stepping back if the Sox do worse than a split in the upcoming four-game series against the Texas Rangers.
    If by stepping back you mean playing the guys we have and accepting what that brings, then I tend to agree. If we drop 10 games back and show no life then I see it as a sign we miss the playoffs. We need to stay under the second tax limit and try to maintain the integrity of the farm, such as it is. I would bring up some guys in August to see if them show signs of being ready for next year. Quite a few ifs involved so I hope it doesn't come to that.

Nothing much is going to happen, so just live with it.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by TylerD View Post
    ASAP. On paper there is absolutely NO WAY we should be playing like this just because we have a couple injuries. That is utter bullshit and a pathetic excuse to use. This team last year was one of (if not) the best team we have had in Sox history and we destroyed teams especially in the playoffs. So now because we are missing Martinez, Moreland, Eovaldi we should not even be in a playoff spot lmao??? In 3 of the 4 games we had against Tampa we put up 4 stinkin runs!!! That's beyond pathetic. Guys like Mookie need to step it up and fast otherwise we won't even be in the playoff race after the All Star Break. DD and Cora need to talk and light a fire under this team. If missing a couple players on offense is "the reason" why our offense sucks ass so bad then just blow this team up and start from scratch.

Also don't be fooled by the stats. I think the Sox are in the top 5 batting wise but we score our runs in chunks.... Like against teams such as the White Sox or Royals. We totally shit ourselves against the top teams like Tampa, Houston and the Yankees.
    We out scored the Astros in our series loss to them.

Yes, bunching runs when we don't need them has been an issue, but it's not like we can trade for a player known to not "bunch runs."

3 runs scored a game vs the top 3 is not good, I agree, but no trade is going to improve our odds of scoring more against them without opening a new hole somewhere else.

Should we have traded for Bruce and benched our hottest hitter (JBJ) or Beni?

Let's talk specifics: who should we trade for who?

Last edited by moonslav59; 06-10-2019 at 11:09 AM.

The guys we have brought in or up to replace injured or non performing players have done a very good job over the past few weeks.

Holt .921 in last 4 weeks/ .983 last 2 weeks
    Nunez .708 last 2 weeks
    Hernandez 4 for 9
    Leon .790 last 2 weeks

Chavis has done well, but not so great lately.

The guy most people have been saying needs to be traded or benched, JBJ, is hitting .928 over the last 4 weeks. and 1.001 the last 2 weeks.