Register now to remove this ad

Page 15 of 34 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: When does DD push the panic button..??

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Well, they’re 2.5 out from a spot in the wild card game right now...
    As we get closer to July 31st, being at .500 will be further than 2.5 out.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I don't expect Dalbec to be up full time until 2021. Maybe a second half part time player in 2020 if things break right?
    I guess one of the options you could look at is living with Chavis at 2b. Can the sox live with an infield defense with Devers at 1b, Chavis at 2b, and Dalbec at 3b?
    Hal sucks

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    And I’m not all that certain DD is interested in Encarnacion. He had a chance to sign him when Encarnacion expressed interest in coming to Boston to replace fellow countryman David Ortiz at DH, which Edwin said would be an honor. Yet DD still passed. I doubt 2 years later DD is willing to give up prospects to get him for the same salary and only for 3 months. And the $20mill salary next year might not be as much of a selling point as the Mariners think, and is certainly a hefty price to pay for the right to offer a QO, which might be accepted by a 37yo DH, since a QO at that age is a likely career ender.

The Sox need relief pitching. The Mariners have none...
    We're in agreement on that point.

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    I guess one of the options you could look at is living with Chavis at 2b. Can the sox live with an infield defense with Devers at 1b, Chavis at 2b, and Dalbec at 3b?
    Devers' problems seem to mostly come from rushing throws. Moving him to 1b could clear that up. Dalbec is solid at 3b and better than what Devers is right now. Maybe Chavis can get extra work at 2b over the winter? I just don't see Chavis as a full time player on the Sox long term. It's more likely that Chatham would be the starter at 2b in 2021 than Chavis IMO.

Legend
    I don't expect Dalbec to be up full time until 2021. Maybe a second half part time player in 2020 if things break right?
    That would push Bobby Dalbec's MLB debut past his 25th birthday.

Dalbec is striking out in about 26 percent of his plate appearances in Double A this year as the Seattle native approaches his 24th birthday this month. On a positive note, the strikeout rate is down from the 30+ percent rate of previous seasons. Steamer projects that Dalbec would strike out in 33 percent of his plate appearances at the MLB level:

https://www.fangraphs.com/statss.asp...01&position=3B

Deity
    Devers' problems seem to mostly come from rushing throws. Moving him to 1b could clear that up. Dalbec is solid at 3b and better than what Devers is right now. Maybe Chavis can get extra work at 2b over the winter? I just don't see Chavis as a full time player on the Sox long term. It's more likely that Chatham would be the starter at 2b in 2021 than Chavis IMO.
    Chavis actually doesn’t look horrible at 2b and his metrics have him as about average. The biggest critic of his defensive play seems to be a Yankee fan who may actually not be watching very many Red Sox games.

Now in order to make his average defense more palatable, he really needs to adjust his offensive game, particularly the slow start to his swing. Otherwise he is probably relegated to super utility role as maybe a (very) poor man’s Scott Kingery...

Legend
    Casas and Duran are ranked highly.
    Over the Monster wrote about the updated Baseball America prospect rankings, which have Triston Casas and Jarren Duran at No. 98 and No. 99, respectively:

https://www.overthemonster.com/2019/...pdated-top-100

Quote Originally Posted by harmony View Post
    That would push Bobby Dalbec's MLB debut past his 25th birthday.

Dalbec is striking out in about 26 percent of his plate appearances in Double A this year as the Seattle native approaches his 24th birthday this month. On a positive note, the strikeout rate is down from the 30+ percent rate of previous seasons. Steamer projects that Dalbec would strike out in 33 percent of his plate appearances at the MLB level:

https://www.fangraphs.com/statss.asp...01&position=3B
    His birthday doesn't bother me. Not sure why it'd be an issue? He missed some development early on due to injury so he's about a year behind schedule. No biggie.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by harmony View Post
    Perhaps Seattle could pay full freight in sending Edwin Encarnacion to the Astros for a good prospect package. Houston was a rumored eventual destination when the Mariners acquired Encarnacion last December.

The Astros have the prospects whom the Red Sox lack. Encarnacion is most valuable to a club looking for that last piece to push the team over the top. That club might be the Astros.

Or not.

The Astros have a robust team OPS+ of 119* despite an OPS+ of 85 from first baseman Yuli Gurriel and an OPS+ of 74 from designated hitter Tyler White.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/HOU/2019.shtml

There might be a fit for Encarnacion.

* Houston has a team ERA+ of 124

I think your expectations of what Encarnacion will return might be unrealistic.

There aren’t many good comparisons from last year’s deadline, but Josh Donaldson (27yo career minor league pitcher) and Andrew McCutchen (21yo unranked A-Ball pitcher and 23yo AAA SS who might be a utility infielder one day) didn’t net their trading teams much.

If Houston was interested in giving up a decent prospect package for EE, then EE would have been dealt to Houston instead of Seattle. But the Astros are notoriously stingy with prospects and frequent trade deadline bystanders.

The “spare parts” from the Boston farm are probably going to be similar to what most teams are willing to give up...

devers will be playing 3b for the boston red sox for the next 8 years. book it.
    other names i have posted under: none

Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    devers will be playing 3b for the boston red sox for the next 8 years. book it.
    I disagree entirely with you. Devers may have worked to become an average fielder to this point (UZR/150 is -0.8, essentially flat), but he's got a thick body type that will not age well. If Dalbec makes a breakthrough in the second half and cements himself as a future prospect for the sox, I wouldn't be surprised to see Dalbec supplant Devers and move Raffy to 1b.
    Hal sucks

Agree... Devers won't have the range to stay at 3rd, unless he wants to drop 25lbs before it's too late

@redsoxstats

Dombrowski on @DaleKeefeWEEI
    "Eovaldi, Wright, Pearce, Moreland are coming, those questions need to be answered before you look outside. Our club is very solid when performing to their capabilities." Says the strength is when the 5 man rotation is rolling, need Eovaldi back.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    That's why I say it's not even a real thing. Zero is a void. You can't do anything with it.
    You think zero is weird, you should look into the wackiness of infinity.

Quote Originally Posted by Swiharts Ghost View Post
    begs the Question ? Dave what the hell are you waiting for ? Do it go get our guy Edwin .
    Dave is not going to make any moves until we get a clearer picture of the players we have coming back from the IL.