Register now to remove this ad

Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 24323334

Thread: When does DD push the panic button..??

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I totally agree, but if you believe as I do, and you just said you did, that emotion plays a part in the game, can't one assume some players react to emotional situations (such as super clutch moments) in a differing yet somewhat consistent manner?
    Of course.

But not in the sense that they can raise their game to an otherworldly level.

IMO, it boils down to 'clutch hitters' being good and smart hitters overall. What they do in clutch situations is similar to what they do on the whole.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I totally agree, but if you believe as I do, and you just said you did, that emotion plays a part in the game, can't one assume some players react to emotional situations (such as super clutch moments) in a differing yet somewhat consistent manner?
    I have argued myself that David Ortiz was a clutch hitter. But I would also admit that it's very hard to prove. David had plenty of playoff series where he didn't do very much, and I'm sure he was just as psyched in those series as he was in the ones where he hit well.

The thing about hitting is that you're at the mercy of the pitcher and the defense to a large degree. They always have a big advantage over you.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    Of course.

But not in the sense that they can raise their game to an otherworldly level.

IMO, it boils down to 'clutch hitters' being good and smart hitters overall. What they do in clutch situations is similar to what they do on the whole.
    But if a great player has his emotions under control and his opponent is losing his battle with emotion thus negatively affecting his performance the results for the player with his emotions under control will look other worldly.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    But if a great player has his emotions under control and his opponent is losing his battle with emotion thus negatively affecting his performance the results for the player with his emotions under control will look other worldly.
    We don't need to rehash the whole 'clutch' argument.

I'll leave it at that.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    I have argued myself that David Ortiz was a clutch hitter. But I would also admit that it's very hard to prove. David had plenty of playoff series where he didn't do very much, and I'm sure he was just as psyched in those series as he was in the ones where he hit well.

The thing about hitting is that you're at the mercy of the pitcher and the defense to a large degree. They always have a big advantage over you.
    The thing is to me, this aspect of both the clutch argument and the closer argument step all over each other.

In clutch arguments, the hitter is credited with responding to pressure. In closer arguments, the requirement is always stated as a pitcher who can handle the pressure.

There is pressure on both the hitter and the pitcher in high leverage situations. At some point, this cancels each other out, which is probably why most hitters and pitchers play to their career norms in these situations, and this becomes more noticeable as sample sizes grow...

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    The thing is to me, this aspect of both the clutch argument and the closer argument step all over each other.

In clutch arguments, the hitter is credited with responding to pressure. In closer arguments, the requirement is always stated as a pitcher who can handle the pressure.

There is pressure on both the hitter and the pitcher in high leverage situations. At some point, this cancels each other out, which is probably why most hitters and pitchers play to their career norms in these situations, and this becomes more noticeable as sample sizes grow...
    Actually the issue is intensity and focus more than pressure and a pitcher in the 9th inning is trying to maintain intensity and focus for an entire half inning. A hitter is trying to maintain it for a single AB in the 9th inning.

Yes the need for a pitcher to maintain intensity and focus across an inning full of guys that are trying to optimize intensity and focus over single AB's is a "pressure" on the pitcher. But the genesis of that pressure is the intensity and focus of individual hitters in AB's vs the intensity and focus the closer has to maintain over the entire inning.
    Last edited by jung; 07-06-2019 at 09:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post

David Ortiz was a smart hitter. His hitting IQ was off the charts.

Quote Originally Posted by devildavid View Post
    David Ortiz was a smart hitter. His hitting IQ was off the charts.
    No question about that.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.