Register now to remove this ad

Page 14 of 34 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: When does DD push the panic button..??

Quote Originally Posted by harmony View Post
    Seattle has Edwin Encarnacion under contract.

How to the Red Sox pry Encarnacion away from the Mariners? A package headed by Boston prospect Bobby Dalbec would be unlikely to land Seattle infielder Tim Beckham.
    Would you take JBJ, Duran, DHern, Houk and Chatham for Santana, EE + Cash?

What if Casas was subbed for one of the prospects above?
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Would you take JBJ, Duran, DHern, Houk and Chatham for Santana, EE + Cash?

What if Casas was subbed for one of the prospects above?
    No and no.

Seattle would lose a year of team control in the swap of Domingo Santana and Jackie Bradley Jr. (who is not under team control through the target 2021 season).

The Mariners would have little interest in the spare parts of a lowly ranked farm system:

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/top-26-p...oston-red-sox/

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/pre-draf...stem-rankings/

Quote Originally Posted by harmony View Post
    No and no.

Seattle would lose a year of team control in the swap of Domingo Santana and Jackie Bradley Jr. (who is not under team control through the target 2021 season).

The Mariners would have little interest in the spare parts of a lowly ranked farm system:

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/top-26-p...oston-red-sox/

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/pre-draf...stem-rankings/
    Casas and Duran are ranked highly.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Legend
    Casas and Duran are ranked highly.
    How highly and where?

As of June 4 Triston Casas was only "on the cusp of the Top 100" at Baseball America despite being the top-ranked prospect at SoxProspects:

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stor...-star-rosters/

http://soxprospects.com/

It's a minor factor, but first baseman Triston Casas and outfielder Jarren Duran play positions where Seattle has organizational depth.

The Red Sox don't match up on an EE deal in any way. We don't have what the Mariners want, and a RH slugger should be far from our biggest priority.

Our obvious need is the bullpen. On offense, we need the current guys to perform to their abilities.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    The Red Sox don't match up on an EE deal in any way. We don't have what the Mariners want, and a RH slugger should be far from our biggest priority.

Our obvious need is the bullpen. On offense, we need the current guys to perform to their abilities.

And I’m not all that certain DD is interested in Encarnacion. He had a chance to sign him when Encarnacion expressed interest in coming to Boston to replace fellow countryman David Ortiz at DH, which Edwin said would be an honor. Yet DD still passed. I doubt 2 years later DD is willing to give up prospects to get him for the same salary and only for 3 months. And the $20mill salary next year might not be as much of a selling point as the Mariners think, and is certainly a hefty price to pay for the right to offer a QO, which might be accepted by a 37yo DH, since a QO at that age is a likely career ender.

The Sox need relief pitching. The Mariners have none...

Deity
    BoSox Injection yesterday listed their “5 Players That Could Be Traded” to improve the Red Sox.

For those who skipped it, they were:

5. Eduardo Nunez
    4. Steve Pearce
    3. Tzu-Wei Lin
    2. Sam Travis
    1. Bobby Dalbec

They kind of copped out a lot on Travis and Lin, citing they’d have to be part of a package, which, with no further specifics, applies to everyone in the Sox minor leagues. I think what they need to say is “could be the token exchange piece another team takes back when the Sox agree to a contract they want to get out of.” Otherwise, package with who? The guys listed 2-5 together aren’t that much of a package.

Dalbec has a couple reasons to interest other teams. But I don’t expect an overwhelming return, but certainly someone who could contribute better than one of the incumbents...

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    BoSox Injection yesterday listed their “5 Players That Could Be Traded” to improve the Red Sox.

For those who skipped it, they were:

5. Eduardo Nunez
    4. Steve Pearce
    3. Tzu-Wei Lin
    2. Sam Travis
    1. Bobby Dalbec

They kind of copped out a lot on Travis and Lin, citing they’d have to be part of a package, which, with no further specifics, applies to everyone in the Sox minor leagues. I think what they need to say is “could be the token exchange piece another team takes back when the Sox agree to a contract they want to get out of.” Otherwise, package with who? The guys listed 2-5 together aren’t that much of a package.

Dalbec has a couple reasons to interest other teams. But I don’t expect an overwhelming return, but certainly someone who could contribute better than one of the incumbents...
    Dalbec is going to start mashing in AA really soon. His April was rough, but he's had 12 Hr's since and doesn't have a platoon split. Maybe April in Maine isn't a great place to play?
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Dalbec is going to start mashing in AA really soon. His April was rough, but he's had 12 Hr's since and doesn't have a platoon split. Maybe April in Maine isn't a great place to play?
    I think Dalbec is gone by August. It’s just a question of how much another team values him and what they’re willing to give up for his future...

I think Dalbec is gone by August. It’s just a question of how much another team values him and what they’re willing to give up for his future...
    If Sox are 5 games out, they make a move. If not, I bet the don't dump any prospects especially with concerns over JD and Mookie re-signing. Is Dalbec athletic enough to play RF? He's got the arm for it.

Legend
    I don't think DD should push any panic buttons at all. The Sox are only marginally likely to make the playoffs and anyone they can pick up that would make a difference would be costly in resources and money. If they can pick up a RP for cash at the trading deadline that would be as far as I recommend they go. It is likely that we will need to do a restructure of the team for next year, and getting rid of even more of our prospects to get an older and costly player doesn't make sense. If they could pick up a younger quality second baseman with control for a couple of years, maybe that would make sense, otherwise no.

Deity
    If Sox are 5 games out, they make a move. If not, I bet the don't dump any prospects especially with concerns over JD and Mookie re-signing. Is Dalbec athletic enough to play RF? He's got the arm for it.

Well, they’re 2.5 out from a spot in the wild card game right now...

Deity

I think Dalbec could handle any corner spot defensively, although RF at Fenway might be a challenge. But will his small scale TTO offense keep him in the lineup? Especially as a replacement for Betts?

But then, don’t you think RF is locked up for the next season and a half?

Anyone thinking the sox are gonna blow this up are crazy. Your GM is not a "blow it up" kind of guy unless management forces a firesale. If the sox fade this year, he will likely be going after 2020 with a similar squad and hope for better results. If anything, the sox will add this season. If they fade out of the race, they will likely just deal off parts that wont be on the team in 2020 (Porcello, Moreland), or would add parts that would figure into 2020
    Hal sucks

I think Dalbec could handle any corner spot defensively, although RF at Fenway might be a challenge. But will his small scale TTO offense keep him in the lineup? Especially as a replacement for Betts?

But then, don’t you think RF is locked up for the next season and a half?
    I don't expect Dalbec to be up full time until 2021. Maybe a second half part time player in 2020 if things break right?