Register now to remove this ad

Thread: When Does Henry Push the Panic Button?

Deity

When Does Henry Push the Panic Button?

If DD was making moves and they weren’t panning out, I’d be sympathetic. But that he keeps up this status quo as the entire season gets more difficult every day is just flat out negligent...

It could be that no other GM will work with him for a favorable deal this early in July. Wait until post A-S break to see who is a seller and a buyer. The Sox need 5 of 6 pre A-S IMO, and got 2 of 3 in Toronto by the skin of their teeth. A PH HR by Marco ? Thank you, Moon, for your faith in Marco. Now you need a sweep in Detroit to make progress towards the #2 WC. Almost is laughable to say that about this roster.

Quote Originally Posted by vegasbob View Post
    It could be that no other GM will work with him for a favorable deal this early in July. Wait until post A-S break to see who is a seller and a buyer. The Sox need 5 of 6 pre A-S IMO, and got 2 of 3 in Toronto by the skin of their teeth. A PH HR by Marco ? Thank you, Moon, for your faith in Marco. Now you need a sweep in Detroit to make progress towards the #2 WC. Almost is laughable to say that about this roster.
    Who would have guessed Chavis and Marco could be the sparks that turn this crap show around!

By the way, it's not Marco, it's...

Marco Freakin' Hernandez!

(Note: I upgraded him to the size 7 font previously reserved only for Freakin' Chris Sale.)
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Look at the division and wild card races. Heck the NL Central is within a 2 game loss column range. Every team in the NL is within at least 6.5 games of the playoffs in some way sans the Marlins. In the AL, only 5 teams are more than 6 games out from contention. I don’t think the other 23 teams (the 6 out of contention and Sox aside) know what they want yet

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    Look at the division and wild card races. Heck the NL Central is within a 2 game loss column range. Every team in the NL is within at least 6.5 games of the playoffs in some way sans the Marlins. In the AL, only 5 teams are more than 6 games out from contention. I don’t think the other 23 teams (the 6 out of contention and Sox aside) know what they want yet
    IMO, by the deadline, 15-18 teams will be clear sellers, even if they are just 5-6 games back. Hell, there are examples of teams selling while right in the midst of a playoff run.

I still see aa buyer's market this summer.

(I could easily be wrong.)

I was thinking that way a month ago not any more.

In the NL East, the Braves are leading. The Nats are tied for WC1. Philly is a half game back of the Nats. Neither of those three teams is gonna sell, IMO. The Nats just spent on corbin and are finally back in it. The Phillies spent and traded all winter. They ain’t giving up

The NL Central is crazy. All 5 teams within 2 games in the L column. The Reds really went for it this year and their Pythagorean should keep them on the up and up. I expect only the pirates to fade and sell.

The NL West is the dodgers to win. The Padres just spent and are a year away, they won’t tear down although they may deal off Yates or other older parts. They’re also within 3.5 of the WC right now, so their fan base isn’t gonna take to a sell off kindly (their 4 fans might not like it). The Giants are 6.5 games out of the WC, but they’ll sell. Colorado is a game out and just spent big to bring back Arenado. The DBacks are still in it. If they surge, they’ll buy, if they sell, they can be the most intriguing with Greinke and Ray hitting the market

The ALE has only two teams that’ll sell and they don’t have much. Between the O’s and Jays, you’re pretty much looking at Stromam, Givens, Castro, Giles and Mancini. Good players, but none need to be dealt

The ALC is still in it. The Twins and Indians aren’t selling. The White Sox are an up and coming team who may move Abreu, but are likely looking for assets for next year rather than a few years down the line. The Tigers and Royals suck.

In the AL West, the only team out of it is the M’s with the Angels likely just behind.

If my prediction holds, the Angels, Mariners, Royals, Tigers, Jays, O’s, Marlins, Mets, Pirates, and Giants are likely your sellers. That’s 10 teams selling and 20 buying. Not a buyers market

Being a "seller" does not mean firesale. A contender or near contender will often trade a player with 2 months of team control remaining, especially if that player is a high salary player. Some teams will trade high salary players with more than 2 months of control, if they don't see that player as an integral part of their future plans, or if they think they can replace the guy with a cheaper FA the upcoming winter. Maybe they have a prospect ready to be called up to fill the role of the player traded.

100% sure sellers (10):
    Toronto
    Baltimore
    KC
    Detroit
    Seattle
    Miami
    NYM
    SFG
    Cincy
    Pitt (they sell every year no matter how good they are)

80% sellers (5):
    CWS
    LAA
    Texas
    AZ
    SD

50+% sellers (3):
    CLE (for the right price, they'd trade Kluber or Carrasco today)
    STL
    WSH

I could even see Oakland or Colorado trade a higher priced player.

15-18 is my guess.

You may only need 12-14 to make it a buyer's market.

Disagree on the Reds. They have the third best Pythagorean in the NL and they’re rolling. They’re gonna be in it, just watch

Deity
    When does Henry push the panic button....when the ferris wheel and the arcade games out front start breaking down....maybe if the grills and the beer taps stop working.

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    Disagree on the Reds. They have the third best Pythagorean in the NL and they’re rolling. They’re gonna be in it, just watch
    Okay, so that makes 14-17 teams.