Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mid Season, Fenway, Toronto? Playoffs? PLAYOFFS?

All-Star

Mid Season, Fenway, Toronto? Playoffs? PLAYOFFS?

Season boiling down to 4 teams, for 2 play off spots.

While Sox get re-development program underway.

All-Star
    I would say 5 teams... Oakland and Texas, Cleveland, TB, and Ourselves. Two in and three out. Two in for one game, that is. So, one in and four out. (Minny might not be a shoe-in)

I still think we win 92-94 games, but there are moments when I doubt my near original (day 10 or so into the season) prediction. I doubt because of our terrible home record--very unexpected.

P.S. I think that the Yanks, by buying up so many good relief pitchers, not only helped themselves a great deal, but made possible all their late inning comebacks against teams left without relievers. Not a bad strategy.
    Last edited by fxkatt; 06-23-2019 at 06:28 PM.

Legend
    The Red Sox still have the advantage of playing in the same division as the Baltimore Orioles and Toronto Blue Jays, who should help inflate the Sox win total.

Based on the FanGraphs strength-of-schedule projections, the Cleveland Indians may have an even easier path to the postseason:

https://www.fangraphs.com/standings/playoff-odds

The three Wild Card contenders from the more balanced American League West have the tougher remaining schedules.

https://www.mlb.com/standings/wild-card/2019-06-23

The Indians also have the benefit of getting Kluber back within a month or so. Carrasco, who knows. Seems like every pitcher they bring up, though, is nails.
    Hal sucks

Playoff positions do boil down, in essence, to what you do vs bad teams. Most good teams can play a bit over .500 vs good teams. Heck, last year you guys won only 55% of your games vs >.500 teams and that team won 108 games. It is how you do vs the dregs that determines how you do. And yes, the sox are in a division with 2 absolutely terrible teams. The Jays, though, have a lot of talent out there, it is just green. Those teams can sneak up on you. The O's have literally no talent and are essentially an expansion team while they develop their best talent at the minor league level. But the sox also have two teams on pace for over 90-100 wins in their division as well

Look at the Indians. Yes, they have the Twins in their division and they look really good this year. But instead of TB, they have a CWS team that wins 1/5 games almost like clockwork when Giolito pitches, then kinda suck the other 4/5. They're a sub .500 team. The Royals are heading towards being the Orioles. The Tigers are absolutely terrible as well. The Indians do have the easiest path and are currently 2 games up on the sox in the L column.

I am also not a believer in the Rays. Snell carried them last year and this year his yips are back. Chirinos is a really good starter as is Morton. Yarborough, meh. Beeks, meh. Their offense is top loaded with mostly crap talent at the end. They play good defense. And their lock down pen has been real shaky of late with Alvarado having a bad family issue prior to returning and looking bad and Castillo hitting the DL. They live off their pen. If they cannot rely on it, they will stumble. Also, they are in a division with the Yanks and sox and to this point, havent proven they can beat either.

The wild card this year is wide open. All of the teams in the race have warts. It's going to be a battle of attrition
    Hal sucks

All-Star
    I watch parts of Rays games quite often. but on;y to root against them. . I think they are most likely to find a spot because they are (for the time being) very relaxed. Not much was expected of them, and they have managed to make a lot of noise! It is going to make the season interesting, that's for sure!

Deity
    I still don't like how Starting pitching is crushing our offense. Its gotten to the point where crushing is an apt description. You can't just put up goose eggs inning after inning and expect to make it all up v opposing pens. If you can't score enough to keep games close getting to the last three innings it hardly matters that you are 5-6 in total runs scored. Plus, its hard to make the case that mucking about at 5-6 in runs scored is anything to write home about anyway.

My guess is, if we were playing like the Indians, A's Rangers or White Sox, even more poster would have already jumped of the wagon or would be hanging on by a thread.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Unfortunately with the unbalanced schedule those other teams have it much easier being outside of the big, bad ALE
    Robot umps + balanced schedules NOW
    other names i have posted under: none

All-Star
    What ever happened to the axiom that a bat swung should be at the angle that is traveling? I'm seeing a lot of golf swings latelInstead of playing catch, how about an hour's worth of Ted Williams Instructional film? THREE DAYS A WEEK!

Ted Williams ended up being a terrible coach. So if you’re getting taught by the best one on one and can’t do it, I doubt an instructional video would help. Ted would have had to adjust in this age of shifting. I’m sure he would have, but he was dead pull all day long. Nowadays, hitting like Ted gets you a .220 average with good power. Guys now have adjusted to increase launch angle to go over the shift (and wall).

Legend
    I read the other day the Owner of the Yankees and Red Sox got drunk one evening, and actually did Trade Williams for DiMaggio, until they sobered up the next morning. Reason DiMaggio for Left Field Wall, and Williams for short right Porch in Yankee Stadium.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by fxkatt View Post
    I would say 5 teams... Oakland and Texas, Cleveland, TB, and Ourselves. Two in and three out. Two in for one game, that is. So, one in and four out. (Minny might not be a shoe-in)

I still think we win 92-94 games, but there are moments when I doubt my near original (day 10 or so into the season) prediction. I doubt because of our terrible home record--very unexpected.

P.S. I think that the Yanks, by buying up so many good relief pitchers, not only helped themselves a great deal, but made possible all their late inning comebacks against teams left without relievers. Not a bad strategy.
    Not sure I agree with your P.S., but think it's a terrific insight. I think it's hard to corner the market in great relievers, but can't disagree the Yankees made it smaller. Plus there can be no doubt their bullpen is a real strength as it was last year.

The 2019 Boston Red Sox will be in the playoffs.

Book it.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    Ted Williams ended up being a terrible coach. So if you’re getting taught by the best one on one and can’t do it, I doubt an instructional video would help. Ted would have had to adjust in this age of shifting. I’m sure he would have, but he was dead pull all day long. Nowadays, hitting like Ted gets you a .220 average with good power. Guys now have adjusted to increase launch angle to go over the shift (and wall).
    You do know, I hope, he was no dummy and was one of the very, very few truly great baseball players who was also a successful manager. He was AL Manager of the year in 1969 when he managed/coached the expansion Washington Senators (the old Senators were now Twins) to a winning record, 86-76. His problem of course was that he was hugely talented and therefore impatient with lesser folk. So he only lasted 3 seasons. But still . . .

As for the shift, Lou Boudreau of the Indians first used the "Boudreau shift" in 1946--with just one infielder to the left of 2b. Sound familiar? As late as 1957 and 1958 when Williams was 39/ 40, he had OPS's of 1.257 and 1.042--and 1.096 his his last year, 1960. Today everybody uses that shift against almost every player, which means that players today, just like Williams, are pulling the ball because it usually gives them better contact, which is what Williams swing was all about. He benefited of course from great eyesight, great reflexes, and an indefatigable willingness to study, practice, and improve his swing.
    Last edited by Maxbialystock; 06-24-2019 at 10:30 AM.