Register now to remove this ad

Thread: One 6X/mont 5-6 Inning Starting Pitcher, or

All-Star

One 6X/mont 5-6 Inning Starting Pitcher, or

One 12015X/momth Lock-Down Closer?

I would use Sale for 1 or 2 innings every three days. No more walk-ff home tuns!

(I may have been wroung a fw times lately, but trust me on this one!)

wat

Quote Originally Posted by bosoxmal View Post
    One 12015X/momth Lock-Down Closer?

I would use Sale for 1 or 2 innings every three days. No more walk-ff home tuns!

(I may have been wroung a fw times lately, but trust me on this one!)
    No. Ok? Fuck no.

This continues to be one of the dumbest ideas ever posted in talksox. I can’t believe you’ve made three threads about this

All-Star
    I guess a few people don;t believe in common sense. Or records, especially won-lost records.

Our SP'ing has been our weakest area this year, and you want to take our best starter and move him to an area that has been a strength this year.

We have no SP'er to take Sale's slot in the rotation.

It's not Sale's fault the team won't score enough runs in his starts to help his w-l record. Sale has been one of MLB's best SP'er over the last 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7,...years. He's been a top SP'er since his poor start.

The only stat that matters to you is the full 2019 season numbers and W-L record?

Sale is a SP'er and should remain one. This is "common sense."

Now, if you want to make Eovaldi the closer, there is some "sense" to that idea.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by bosoxmal View Post
    I guess a few people don;t believe in common sense. Or records, especially won-lost records.

The 9th inning hasn’t been a huge problem this year.

I imagine the Sox will give Wright and Shawaryn a chance to fill the role internally before doing anything drastic...

Its clearly common sense to have Josh Smith or Brian Johnson make more starts, and take them away from Chris Sale

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasonbay44 View Post
    Its clearly common sense to have Josh Smith or Brian Johnson make more starts, and take them away from Chris Sale
    Brian Johnson should be the first name on the trading block. Is he that much worse of a trade bait than Juan Then?

Double A
    Subscribed to this one

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Our SP'ing has been our weakest area this year, and you want to take our best starter and move him to an area that has been a strength this year.

We have no SP'er to take Sale's slot in the rotation.

It's not Sale's fault the team won't score enough runs in his starts to help his w-l record. Sale has been one of MLB's best SP'er over the last 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7,...years. He's been a top SP'er since his poor start.

The only stat that matters to you is the full 2019 season numbers and W-L record?

Sale is a SP'er and should remain one. This is "common sense."

Now, if you want to make Eovaldi the closer, there is some "sense" to that idea.
    Sale isn't as good as last year, but his June numbers are close. But the real point is that our biggest weakness is the rotation, not the bullpen, because the Sox needs a rotation to eat a whole lot of innings, not 1 or 2 every freaking 3 days. A good starter should throw 6 x 33 = 198 innings in a season, not the measly 62 Kimbrel pitched last year.

FWIW, the Yankees bullpen ain't great because of one guy, but because of several guys. OP is a bad idea.

the dude bullied JF into burning all his bullets for 300 K season. you think he would be OK with moving to the Pen? remember what he did to the white sox jersey when all they wanted to do was have him wear an alternate jersey? i would love to be in the room when WTF Cora tells Sale he is no longer a starter and has to go and sit in the bullpen every day.....
    other names i have posted under: none

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post

I think when/if Eovaldi returns, we give him the role that will keep him off the disabled list. I suspect starting is actually less wear and tear than relieving.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    Sale isn't as good as last year, but his June numbers are close. But the real point is that our biggest weakness is the rotation, not the bullpen, because the Sox needs a rotation to eat a whole lot of innings, not 1 or 2 every freaking 3 days. A good starter should throw 6 x 33 = 198 innings in a season, not the measly 62 Kimbrel pitched last year.

FWIW, the Yankees bullpen ain't great because of one guy, but because of several guys. OP is a bad idea.
    Our biggest weakness over the season, so far, is the rotation, yes, but not recently. I also do not expect it to remain our biggest weakness over the second half of 2019-- with or without Eovaldi.

Here's a break down of first 40 games vs last 40 games:

First 40 Games WAR Rankings
    11th RP'ing 1.4 (7th in ERA-/ 7th in WHIP)
    13th Positional 4.8 (3rd in runs/ 12th in OPS)
    16th SP'ing 3.0 (12th in ERA-/ 16th WHIP)

Second 40 Games WAR Rankings
    2nd SP'ing 4.9 (8th in ERA-/ 9th WHIP)
    3rd Positional 8.9 (6th in runs/5th in OPS)
    3rd RP'ing (4th ERA-/ 16th WHIP
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?