Register now to remove this ad

Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122

Thread: 6/17 @ Twinnesota Mins

Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    I’m worn out....whew
    If I'm not mistaken, you are a big fan of pitcher's duels, like I am. That game was a beauty to watch. That said, these types of games are emotionally draining. Fun, but draining!

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Huge win beating an ace like Berrios who was at the top of his game tonight. Porcello was magnificent as was Brasier and Brewer benefited from some luck and dumb managing.
    To quote Merloni on Polanco's sac bunt, Thank You!

Quote Originally Posted by harmony View Post
    My saves-poor fantasy team had Blake Parker in the lineup and Ryan Brasier on the bench.
    Ouch. I know this feeling all too well.

Shout out to Porcello. What an outstanding performance!

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    Shout out to Porcello. What an outstanding performance!
    Wasn't he incredible????

It floors me that there are people on this forum that don't want Porcello back......

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by TylerD View Post
    Wasn't he incredible????
    It floors me that there are people on this forum that don't want Porcello back......
    At the right price yes. Depending on years as well.

Quote Originally Posted by TylerD View Post
    Wasn't he incredible????

As I posted in the Porcello thread, I think some are hung up on his ERA. The ERA is meh, but pitching is not just about ERA.

Deity
    If I'm not mistaken, you are a big fan of pitcher's duels, like I am. That game was a beauty to watch. That said, these types of games are emotionally draining. Fun, but draining!
    I too like pitchers duels, and this just a classic, memorable MLB game between last year's world champions trying to get back to that level and this year's very definite contenders who lead MLB in runs scored and OPS.

It was not ace vs. ace, but two pitchers who both lifted their game enough to be awfully hard to score against. Thus no whining from me about the lack of hitting by the Sox, who actually did take advantage of at least two RISP opportunities.

I do think we also saw the value of having Leon behind the plate. When he and the pitcher are in sync, and that's crucial when Porcello is on the mound, magic can happen.

JDM and Bogie both had 2 hits and an rbi apiece.

Cora's managing was letter perfect--the right lineup, the right catcher, the right decisions in the 7th and 8th to leave first Procello and then Brewer on the mound--and to bring Brasier in to close in the 9th. Let's not forget that Cora used his bullpen a lot at Baltimore and that last night was the 14th straight game for the Sox without a break.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    I too like pitchers duels, and this just a classic, memorable MLB game between last year's world champions trying to get back to that level and this year's very definite contenders who lead MLB in runs scored and OPS.

It was not ace vs. ace, but two pitchers who both lifted their game enough to be awfully hard to score against. Thus no whining from me about the lack of hitting by the Sox, who actually did take advantage of at least two RISP opportunities.

I do think we also saw the value of having Leon behind the plate. When he and the pitcher are in sync, and that's crucial when Porcello is on the mound, magic can happen.

Cora's managing was letter perfect--the right lineup, the right catcher, the right decisions in the 7th and 8th to leave first Procello and then Brewer on the mound--and to bring Brasier in to close in the 9th. Let's not forget that Cora used his bullpen a lot at Baltimore and that last night was the 14th straight game for the Sox without a break.
    Solid post Max. Just one thing-the Sox have actually played 15 games in 14 days with the DH against the Rays.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Deity
    As I posted in the Porcello thread, I think some are hung up on his ERA. The ERA is meh, but pitching is not just about ERA.
    I like ERA, but agree other stats are important. When a pitcher is on the mound, I look for 4 things--at least 3 different pitches, good command, at least two pitches that are tough to hit, and a good mix of pitches.

I frankly don't think Porcello has any single pitch that is really tough to hit, so he has to excel at the other three things to succeed the way he did last night. Last night he did throw some so-so fast balls down the middle or close to it, but usually they were in the context of a good mix and therefore caught the Twins hitters off guard. Except the guys who hammered that double to CF in I think the 7th.

you are correct. i love the 2-1 or 2-0 ballgames...
    other names i have posted under: none

Bored as hell on a rainy day... Who wants a fresh GT?
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I can't disagree with you

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    Bored as hell on a rainy day... Who wants a fresh GT?
    start up a freshy.
    other names i have posted under: none

Very solid post Max.

I like ERA, but agree other stats are important. When a pitcher is on the mound, I look for 4 things--at least 3 different pitches, good command, at least two pitches that are tough to hit, and a good mix of pitches.

I frankly don't think Porcello has any single pitch that is really tough to hit, so he has to excel at the other three things to succeed the way he did last night. Last night he did throw some so-so fast balls down the middle or close to it, but usually they were in the context of a good mix and therefore caught the Twins hitters off guard. Except the guys who hammered that double to CF in I think the 7th.
    Agreed. Porcello did a good job of keeping the hitters off balance.

And as you stated in your previous post, I think Leon has a lot to do with that.