Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tampa/Montreal

Deity

Tampa/Montreal

So apparently the Rays are exploring the idea of playing half their home games in Tampa and the other half in Montreal, which, I’m going out on a limb here, would make them the first team in North American professional sports history, to have two home cities simultaneously.

I like the idea, especially for a well run but poorly supported Rays’ team. I do wonder if they will add Montreal to their moniker. Will they be the Tampa-Montreal Rays? Or the Tampa Rays half the year and the Montreal Rays the other half? Or the Montreal Expos the other half? Or just adopt an non-specific geography, like the Continental Rays?

And what will they do when they realize the Expos left Montreal because they couldn’t draw in that city either?

I propose they change their mascot from Rays to Ghosts. Since they’ll still not be seen by anyone...

I love it. And I love the name ghosts.
    other names i have posted under: none

I always thought there should just be one Florida team with half the games played in Miami and half in TB.

This is weird.

Move TB to Montreal and have the Marlins play half in MIA and half in TB...change their name to the Florida Marlins.

Sox 4 Ever

Bring back the Montreal Expos, same hat, same uniform, same logo.

Deity
    They could change their name to the Tampa-Montreal Express, and make it sound like a train...

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Fan_since_Boggs View Post
    Bring back the Montreal Expos, same hat, same uniform, same logo.
    Why? It was not exactly a rousing success last time.

I think if the Rays are actually going to move, Charlotte would be a great place for them. North Carolina is a very intense baseball hotbed...

Triple A
    Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    They could change their name to the Tampa-Montreal Express, and make it sound like a train...
    Maybe the Montreal Ex-Rays

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry33 View Post
    Ok that’s really good.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry33 View Post
    Hahahaha. +2 points
    other names i have posted under: none

Triple A

I think if the Rays are actually going to move, Charlotte would be a great place for them. North Carolina is a very intense baseball hotbed...
    Montreal had a good baseball following till Dickhead Jeffery Loria bought the team that's when the fans revolted against him who had no intention of keeping the team. It was nothing but a planned out scam involving then commissioner Bud Selig, John Henry and Jeffery Loria. Loria was to buy the Marlins from Henry who in turn was to buy the Red Sox even though he wasn't the highest bidder for the team and the league would take over Montreal Expos only to move them to Washington. There's been teams who had been struggling for years and MLB never took over their franchise and how can you explain 50 million dollars left on table and award the winning bid to the 2nd bid.

I think Ray's ownership is just saying they are not happy with the current situation and are thinking of moving the franchise. I seriously doubt they will actually split their games between these two cities. Too many problems. Bad idea . Pretty sure the Union would fight it as it would surely be tough on the players and their families . Bottom line : Not going to happen .

Rays in Montreal doesn't make much sense, kinda like the Utah Jazz. This is an idea, but one they are using to push the Ybor city project to get out of the beast of a home ballpark. Where they should be looking is Las Vegas. I am absolutely shocked no team has moved there yet. I would anticipate Oakland could jump there if their stadium mess isn't fixed
    Hal sucks

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by dgalehouse View Post
    I think Ray's ownership is just saying they are not happy with the current situation and are thinking of moving the franchise. I seriously doubt they will actually split their games between these two cities. Too many problems. Bad idea . Pretty sure the Union would fight it as it would surely be tough on the players and their families . Bottom line : Not going to happen .
    If it lead to the Rays making more money and then spending more on players, the Union might change that position...

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    Rays in Montreal doesn't make much sense, kinda like the Utah Jazz. This is an idea, but one they are using to push the Ybor city project to get out of the beast of a home ballpark. Where they should be looking is Las Vegas. I am absolutely shocked no team has moved there yet. I would anticipate Oakland could jump there if their stadium mess isn't fixed

Maybe the Rays could represent a return of MLB to Brooklyn. They could slightly change their nickname from Rays to Famous Original Rays...

NC must have about 25 minor league teams. They love baseball.

The problem is their population is spread out, and there is no central location that is close enough for several cities to drive to the games.

Charlotte is probably the best area, but even if you place the stadium on the North East side of the city, I doubt it would be close enough to Winston-Salem/Greensboro to up attendance all that much.

NC is probably a better choice than Montreal.

Other areas I've though of are:

Indianapolis

Las Vegas

Sacremento or San Jose

San Antonio

Buffalo

New Orleans, Memphis or Birmingham
    Sox 4 Ever