Register now to remove this ad

Page 140 of 154 FirstFirst ... 4090130138139140141142150 ... LastLast
Results 2,086 to 2,100 of 2299

Thread: A Realistic View at 2019: Part II

Quote Originally Posted by dgalehouse View Post
    Seemed kind of odd . Taylor went one inning . Marcus went one . Then Johnson came in and went four . Why didn't Johnson just start the game ? What was the reasoning ? Maybe just to say we used an opener ?
    Maybe because Taylor matched up better with the top 3 batters in the line-up.
    Sox 4 Ever

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Maybe because Taylor matched up better with the top 3 batters in the line-up.
    Obviously the original OP hasn't looked at Johnson's record as a starter lately. Look it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Obviously the original OP hasn't looked at Johnson's record as a starter lately. Look it up.
    Are you saying that Johnson is no good as a starter , but it's okay for him to start the third inning and pitch through the sixth inning , facing the entire Angel's lineup in that time ? Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see the difference there .

Deity
    There is a wave of junkers making some headway in MLB of late. No matter how much Manfred tries to manipulate this game one aspect of it that remains is that the game itself tries to self-correct.

Johnson simply cannot get rolling in a stint and it does not appear to matter whether he is trying to get rolling with an appearance that begins in the 3rd inning or the 1st inning. Once he gets rolling he is good for another 2-3 innings anyway before he starts to struggle again if left out there for a 4th inning. There is some logic to that because if you really cannot throw heat to get through early troubles the crap you are throwing up there is going to get tagged if you can't locate it. As to how a starter gets through a 5th inning, they are all struggling with that these days with exception of the very best of them. That problem is not specific to BJ.

So BJ's early issues would appear to be a pretty specific problem for BJ and one that is probably tied up in taking too long to find his release point and arm angle early in stints. Seems to me something that a coach could work on with him.

Are you saying that Johnson is no good as a starter , but it's okay for him to start the third inning and pitch through the sixth inning , facing the entire Angel's lineup in that time ? Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see the difference there .
    His previous 5 starts.

date IP H R ER BB
    8/03 3.0 8 3 3 0
    8/09 2.2 2 3 3 2
    8/14 2.2 3 1 0 2
    8/20 3.2 6 3 3 2
    8/25 3.0 4 3 3 3

If you think this is a good stat line, then you know nothing about baseball.

Did you ever think that Johnson came in to pitch as long as he can? Good for him that he went 3 innings. But they were not going to start him......They were not going to let him put the team behind right away........are you fucking serious?

His previous 5 starts.

date IP H R ER BB
    8/03 3.0 8 3 3 0
    8/09 2.2 2 3 3 2
    8/14 2.2 3 1 0 2
    8/20 3.2 6 3 3 2
    8/25 3.0 4 3 3 3

If you think this is a good stat line, then you know nothing about baseball.

Did you ever think that Johnson came in to pitch as long as he can? Good for him that he went 3 innings. But they were not going to start him......are you fucking serious?
    Denny's question, though, is what's the difference between starting him and having him pitch innings 3 through 6.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

Deity
    It's what happens when you look at small sample sizes...

Deity

Johnson has a 5.09 ERA as a starter this year, but a 9.90 ERA as a reliever (Ok that number does include last night's game).

Last year, Johnson had a 4.15 ERA as a starter and a 4.19 ERA as a reliever...

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    It's what happens when you look at small sample sizes...
    You're missing Denny's question too. He's not saying Johnson's good.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    You're missing Denny's question too. He's not saying Johnson's good.
    No but I am saying Nick's conclusion is based on limited data and therefore should be in question...

Johnson continues to remind me of someone...who is it?.... <musing>....someone who had problems in past years with durability.... and control... got a lot of criticism for it.... some wanted him DFA'd even!....

It's coming to me now... Hispanic name... Hmmm... yes... Rodriguez. That's it!
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

Quote Originally Posted by S5Dewey View Post
    Johnson continues to remind me of someone...who is it?.... <musing>....someone who had problems in past years with durability.... and control... got a lot of criticism for it.... some wanted him DFA'd even!....

Beyond both being southpaws, I don’t see it. ERod always had stuff, he had to harness it (and still does to some extent). He was also having those issues at what, 23-25 yo. Johnson is 28 and has no where near ERod’s physical gifts.
    The Yankees could go 0-162 and it wouldn't be enough

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by S5Dewey View Post

Yeah...ummmm... no. Age matters...

Quote Originally Posted by illinoisredsox View Post
    Beyond both being southpaws, I don’t see it. ERod always had stuff, he had to harness it (and still does to some extent). He was also having those issues at what, 23-25 yo. Johnson is 28 and has no where near ERod’s physical gifts.
    Johnson's a bit of a soft tosser, isn't he? So he has to hit his spots on the button or he will be hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by illinoisredsox View Post
    Age mattters and it's not realistic to think that we're going to get as many year from Johnson as we do from Erod. We only need a year or two out of Johnson and our window will be closed anyway. Johnson isn't the second coming of Sandy Koufax but he can be enough of a one-year stopgap to help in 2020, and he does have known potential.

He's always had the pitches. His problem in the past was between his ears. In that regard he reminds me of Grinke. Grinke almost washed out of baseball because of his anxiety issues but once he got those issues under control he became a ML pitcher.

Now, before someone reminds me that Johnson doesn't have Grinke's stuff - I know that. But he's not going to command Grinke's salary either. You get what you pay for and at the ML minimum he's good enough to be a #5 or 6. Or beyond.
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully