Register now to remove this ad

Page 132 of 154 FirstFirst ... 3282122130131132133134142 ... LastLast
Results 1,966 to 1,980 of 2299

Thread: A Realistic View at 2019: Part II

Quote Originally Posted by FredLynn View Post
    No, its because overall he sucks with a bat in his hands. He hasn't had an OPS+ year over 100 (=average) since 2016. Even his dWAR is just 0.4 this year-hardly stellar. Yes, I do like him in CF, but I will not miss him next year when he is (hopefully) gone. There are lots of good defensive CF out there and in the rebuilding process hopefully we will find one who can also hit the baseball.
    But Notin's point was that having an excellent DH allows a team to carry a weaker offensive player who's a wizard in the field.
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

Quote Originally Posted by S5Dewey View Post
    But Notin's point was that having an excellent DH allows a team to carry a weaker offensive player who's a wizard in the field.
    Like Leon?
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    I thought the idea of the 2013 trade was to get some insurance for the pennant and the postseason, and I could swear 2013 had a pretty good outcome for which Iglesias was absolutely not needed because the Sox had two SS’s without him. Also, there was no guarantee Bogie would be better at 3b than at SS. Remember all the complaints about Devers at 3b?

Also, why don’t the Tigers pay Iglesias more if they love him so much and other teams are trying to get him? One reason is his hitting, and the other is he is injury prone. That was my gripe with JD Drew, a much better player than Iglesias.
    The funny thing about 2013 was that Iggy out OPS'd Stephen Drew .785 to.777. Then, Drew fell off a cliff at the plate- going 6-54 in the playoff (.111) and then...
    .536 in 2014
    .652 in 2015

I just don't buy the Drew was better at that time in their careers.

His past was better at that point, but he sure declined quickly at and after age 30.

Iggy's defense at SS would have made up for any loss on defense with Bogey at 3B, and it's not like we have had great defense at 3B from 2013 to the end of Iggy's control year.

Legend
    Second night in a row scoring 2 runs and the offense being quiet after the 2nd inning. Baserunning has not been solid nor has hitting with runners in scoring position. Too many strikeouts and Cora having to substitute a weak hitter in Owings with two runners in scoring position.

Our vaunted offense can and does go cold at times and could also use some beefing up in the off season.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    The funny thing about 2013 was that Iggy out OPS'd Stephen Drew .785 to.777. Then, Drew fell off a cliff at the plate- going 6-54 in the playoff (.111) and then...
    .536 in 2014
    .652 in 2015

I just don't buy the Drew was better at that time in their careers.

His past was better at that point, but he sure declined quickly at and after age 30.

Iggy's defense at SS would have made up for any loss on defense with Bogey at 3B, and it's not like we have had great defense at 3B from 2013 to the end of Iggy's control year.
    Actually Drew outplayed Iggy in the field in the Detroit series and it was not even close. Outplayed him enough to actually make a dif. Drew made every play at SS while Iggy fell all over himself screaming at his infield mates all the while....a horrid performance if I ever saw one. Iggy made one or two spectacular plays while booting everything else.

Quote Originally Posted by jung View Post
    Actually Drew outplayed Iggy in the field in the Detroit series and it was not even close. Outplayed him enough to actually make a dif. Drew made every play at SS while Iggy fell all over himself screaming at his infield mates all the while....a horrid performance if I ever saw one. Iggy made one or two spectacular plays while booting everything else.
    How many did he boot?

How many tough plays did Drew make?

2 plays is all you are basing your judgement on. One at a very bad time. (In guess you must be one of those guys who bashed Buckner to bits.)

The one thing Drew had going for him was his offensive edge, yet Iggy outhit him in the regular season and the playoff series.

Drew was horrible the next year, and the whole Iggy vs Drew debate (it was never Iggy vs Bogey) was about more than just 2013.

It was about improved defense and a better future.

Deity
    How many did he boot?

How many tough plays did Drew make?

2 plays is all you are basing your judgement on. One at a very bad time. (In guess you must be one of those guys who bashed Buckner to bits.)

The one thing Drew had going for him was his offensive edge, yet Iggy outhit him in the regular season and the playoff series.

Drew was horrible the next year, and the whole Iggy vs Drew debate (it was never Iggy vs Bogey) was about more than just 2013.

It was about improved defense and a better future.

Glad Iggy is gone. He is a lousy teammate for one thing and he always will be.

One simple question. Would Rafi have made so much progress with Iggy at SS as opposed to X? Answer: NOPE...not on a bet.

Drew made every single play in that series and you simply cannot downplay a shortstop in a short series making every single play compared to a hothead booting them and screaming at his teammates the whole time. So if you are arguing would I want Iggy now...NOPE....not on a bet. Would not have taken Iggy over Drew in that series and would not take Iggy now over X.

We got Peavy and WS and the Tigers got....embarrassed AGAIN!!!

Deity
    Drew did excellent glove work in that series. I agree on that.

But have you ever seen a shortstop show the range Iglesias displayed on that opposite field blooper by Ortiz?

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Drew did excellent glove work in that series. I agree on that.

But have you ever seen a shortstop show the range Iglesias displayed on that opposite field blooper by Ortiz?
    Great play....But Iggy is still the same, makes a great play, bones up the play you really need made SS he always was and always will be. He is the same lousy teammate he always will be and its no accident that he went from one chump team, the Tigers to another chump team, the Reds as he will very likely play out his career just that way. His last year in Detroit, his teammates would literally laugh at him on the field for his absurd rages at them. He had become a caricature of himself in their eyes as they just could no longer take his on field glaring ranker seriously. He's just an asshole sorry to say and would only be my choice for SS under extreme duress.

Other than one ASG appearance, has he garnered any accolades at all as an MLB player? Anybody willing to pay him for his nonsense? NOPE. Highest salary was Pearce money in 2018 and the Tigers seem to have immediately realized that was a mistake. Making $2.5M in Cincy and becomes a FA after this season. Don't want him on my team EVER.
    Last edited by jung; 08-22-2019 at 05:13 AM.

Like Leon?
    Him too, but that only applies on days when Leon is catching and as of now he's only catching every 5th day or so. Would you want JDM only DH-ing every 5th day?
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

One simple question. Would Rafi have made so much progress with Iggy at SS as opposed to X? Answer: NOPE...not on a bet.
    You.. ah.. know that Devers was 16 at the time of the trade, right? Do you have any other 16 year olds you'd like to project as being as good as Devers is now?
    -Vin Scully

Other than one ASG appearance, has he garnered any accolades at all as an MLB player?
    Does 2013 runner-up ROY count?
    -Vin Scully

We're back onto the Iggy trade? Good stuff LOL

I'll never regret that trade. It was a deadline deal and Ben was being aggressive. Good on him.

Iggy was and still is a good solid little middle infielder.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by s5dewey View Post
    does 2013 runner-up roy count?
    nope!

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    We're back onto the Iggy trade? Good stuff LOL

I'll never regret that trade. It was a deadline deal and Ben was being aggressive. Good on him.

Iggy was and still is a good solid little middle infielder.
    Meaning of course that he is a dime a dozen player that I can gleefully report is wearing somebody elses laundry. Good, solid little middle infielder....PLEASE!!!!!

The Rooster was a good solid little middle infielder. Iggy is just an asshole with range.