Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 154 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: A Realistic View at 2019: Part II

Moon great job on the report card. As great as Bogaerts and Devers are doing, I don't see this team going far without strong performances from Betts, Sale, Barnes, and Eovaldi.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I think it is very telling. It shows we deserved to win more games, but had untimely hitting and pitching meltdowns.

For example, we outscored the Astros but lost the series 2 out of 3.
    I haven't looked through the Sox scores but having a high run differential with a middling record generally means that a lot of your wins have been blowouts and a lot of your losses have been close games. Is it due to luck/randomness? I guess the final 81 will tell us.

Quote Originally Posted by kenmeister View Post
    Moon great job on the report card. As great as Bogaerts and Devers are doing, I don't see this team going far without strong performances from Betts, Sale, Barnes, and Eovaldi.
    I guess Moreland, Porcello, ERod, Vaz and others could carry us, but you are most likely right.

I see no reason to believe the players you mentioned can't bounce back, except for the injury reason for Eovaldi.
    Sox 4 Ever

Quote Originally Posted by bkzwhitestrican View Post
    I haven't looked through the Sox scores but having a high run differential with a middling record generally means that a lot of your wins have been blowouts and a lot of your losses have been close games. Is it due to luck/randomness? I guess the final 81 will tell us.
    Well, our offense and pitching have improved and are ranked high enough (along with defense) to show we are as good as any team, but we just need to translate that into more wins.
    Sox 4 Ever

The London games will be on artificial turf so there could be some odd plays and the catchers/1B/3B will be chasing some fould balls in the generous foul areas. I would say there is a good chance that the field itself will come into discussion as a condition that affects the outcome. Hopefully the British umpires have a better strike zone recognition than the MLB guys.

Seeing that we are now in Part 11 , it would n't hurt to see the focus shift from its early and we are shoe-ins for at least a WC slot, to actually winning at about a .650 pace, 96-97 wins. Right now the Sox are not #1 nor #2 for the slot and the blown game by Barnes vs CWS just put a stink cloud over the start of the second 81 games. I don't think dropping 2 in London to the Bombers would help clear the air. Taking two could be something sweet for a reset .

BTW, when does the new reliever show up ??

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by vegasbob View Post
    The London games will be on artificial turf so there could be some odd plays and the catchers/1B/3B will be chasing some fould balls in the generous foul areas. I would say there is a good chance that the field itself will come into discussion as a condition that affects the outcome. Hopefully the British umpires have a better strike zone recognition than the MLB guys.

The real problem is the Sox need to remember that in London, you circle the bases to the left...

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    The real problem is the Sox need to remember that in London, you circle the bases to the left...
    LOL, I remember the first time a drove through a British "roundabout". I seem to remember as one of my more frightening experiences. I am sure the Brits on the road that day felt the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Good catch, I better text Devers and Nunez en espanol to go the wrong way.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Elktonnick View Post
    LOL, I remember the first time a drove through a British "roundabout". I seem to remember as one of my more frightening experiences. I am sure the Brits on the road that day felt the same way.
    I once rented a car on the south island of New Zealand and went on a fly fishing vacation. Bridges down there at that time were sometimes narrowed to one lane. I forgot that the left side of the car extended so much father out with a right side driver's seating and came within inches of tattooing a bridge abutment.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by vegasbob View Post
    Seeing that we are now in Part 11 , it would n't hurt to see the focus shift from its early and we are shoe-ins for at least a WC slot, to actually winning at about a .650 pace, 96-97 wins. Right now the Sox are not #1 nor #2 for the slot and the blown game by Barnes vs CWS just put a stink cloud over the start of the second 81 games. I don't think dropping 2 in London to the Bombers would help clear the air. Taking two could be something sweet for a reset .

BTW, when does the new reliever show up ??
    I wouldn't expect any high profile RP to show up. And I can't really blame DD for the crappy performances of Betts, JD, and Sale. I think he is handcuffed by financial constraints by JH. Unless the current guys miraculously get it together I can't see us as a playoff team. The current roster, for the most part, is it.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Well, our offense and pitching have improved and are ranked high enough (along with defense) to show we are as good as any team, but we just need to translate that into more wins.
    I don't agree. Our offense is fine, but our pitching /defense doesn't match up with most of the other WC contenders other than Texas. I don't expect the Rangers to stay in contention. But the others are succeeding due to their better pitching/defense.

Quote Originally Posted by devildavid View Post
    I don't agree. Our offense is fine, but our pitching /defense doesn't match up with most of the other WC contenders other than Texas. I don't expect the Rangers to stay in contention. But the others are succeeding due to their better pitching/defense.
    I meant that, on paper, our hitting, pitching and defense have improved (over the last 41 games) to be top 3 in the AL.

We "should be" winning more than we have been. We "should be" contenders.

We just need to start playing like I know we can and how the numbers show they can play.
    Sox 4 Ever

Legend
    The Sox in the first half of the season scored a total of 34 runs in the 1st inning, considering all our best hitters are usually up in the 1st inning, it stinks. In fact its the lowest of all the innings, in runs scored, from 1-9. We never get a lead, and usually we are playing behind. In the first inning your guaranteed to get the 1-3 batters up, and they are just not doing their job, of trying to score first.
    Last edited by OH FOY!; 06-28-2019 at 10:42 PM.

Legend
    1st inning.
    Mookie Betts .174
    Bennintendi .186
    Martinez .362 with no runners on base, 6 HRS 13 RBI's.
    Bogaerts .091
    Devers .281 8 RBI's.
    Moreland .111
    Heck here's the chart.
    http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/stats/s...ys=&extended=0
    Here's the team chart.http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/stats/s...ys=&extended=0
    Last edited by OH FOY!; 06-28-2019 at 11:00 PM.