Register now to remove this ad

Page 54 of 154 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664104 ... LastLast

Thread: A Realistic View at 2019: Part II

Quote Originally Posted by harmony View Post
    Maybe within my lifetime ... maybe not.

I was a hardcore Denver Broncos fan for 20 years but lost interest after the Broncos won back-to-back Super Bowls in the late 1990s. I don't follow the NFL at all these days.

Sometimes it's the journey, not the destination.
    I would be sad if it didn’t happen in your lifetime.
    Or not.
    other names i have posted under: none

Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    You lost me until the last, short part on the keepers, with which I pretty much agree.

That said, you only list 9 keepers, and not all of them are solid, so call it 7 keepers. So my question is, where are the other 18 players coming from? There isn't a single outfielder among the keepers and, last I heard, not a whole bunch of good ones in the farm system. I assume 1B and 2B could be covered by, say, Chavis and Hernandez, and the backup C can be almost anyone decent.

Right now, the Sox use 13 pitchers and you only want to keep maybe 3 or 4 for sure.
    This is "the cliff" many of us spoke of.

9 Keepers

6-8 prospetcs called up

8-10 low cost free agents signed this winter, just to field a team and stay under the tax line.

This might be the opening day roster (with more than 7-9 keepers) with NO free agents signed:

SP: Price, Sale, ERod, Eovaldi, Johnson/Velazquez
    RP: Workman (last arb year), Barnes, Hembree, Taylor, DHern, Brasier, Brewer/Walden/Lakins/Shawaryn
    Poyner/ Reyes/ Weber/ Kelley
    C: Vaz & Leon (at min salary) or Centeno
    1B: Dalbec/Travis/Ockimey/Curletta (Chavis from 2B)
    2B: Chavis & Marco (Maybe re-sign Holt)
    3B: Devers
    SS: Bogey & Lin/Chatham
    LF: Beni
    CF: Castillo/GHernandez/Duran
    RF: Betts (if not traded)
    DH: Pedey/Dalbec/Ockimey

No:
    JD
    Porcello
    JBJ
    Moreland
    Pearce
    Nunez
    Wright

I think that's enough to get under the luxury tax line. (I'll do the math later.)

Maybe Betts or Beni will be gone and replaced by 1-2 cheap free agents on 1 year deals.

Last edited by moonslav59; 07-17-2019 at 04:38 PM.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Yes, especially when you never reach the ultimate goal between rebuilds
    I lost interest after the Denver Broncos attained the "ultimate goal" in consecutive years.

Perhaps I am fortunate that my life lacks a success void yearning to be filled vicariously by the onfield success of my favorite sports team. My happiness does not correlate with the wins and losses of the Seattle Mariners.

Generalizations have little value but ...

Red Sox fans tend to be visceral while Mariner fans tend to be cerebral. Sox fans revel in the instant joy of a win or a World Series title while Mariner fans tend to be problem-solvers entranced by the troubles of their favorite franchise. It's probably no coincidence that Dave Cameron and Jeff Sullivan went from amateur bloggers for the Mariners to managing editors at FanGraphs to jobs in the front offices of two MLB teams.

I lost interest after the Denver Broncos attained the "ultimate goal" in consecutive years.

Perhaps I am fortunate that my life lacks a success void yearning to be filled vicariously by the onfield success of my favorite sports team. My happiness does not correlate with the wins and losses of the Seattle Mariners.

Red Sox fans tend to be visceral while Mariner fans tend to be cerebral. Sox fans revel in the instant joy of a win or a World Series title while Mariner fans tend to be problem-solvers entranced by the troubles of their favorite franchise. It's probably no coincidence that Dave Cameron and Jeff Sullivan went from amateur bloggers for the Mariners to managing editors at FanGraphs to jobs in the front offices of two MLB teams.
    It must have been easy not following the sucky Broncos after their 2 wins.

I'm not sure I agree with your generalizations, since there are many cerebral Sox fans, many of whom have gone on to "heady" jobs in baseball.

Harm , That is kind of deep . I don't take this stuff all that seriously . I just want to have some peanuts , crackerjacks and enjoy the games . And it is more fun when the team is good .

Every sports fan is on their own personal trip. You do see mob behavior, but when you come on a message board like this you see that other fans all have their own personal perspective. That's why we argue so much LOL

I admit to deriving great satisfaction from the Red Sox run of championships. My profile as a sports fan is pretty simple. The Red Sox are the only sports team I have cared about long-term. Favorite teams in other sports were all short-term. And I was a Red Sox fan for 35 years before seeing them win a title. I was 48 years old before knowing what it was like to have my team win a championship.

It was quite a relief.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Red Sox fans tend to be visceral while Mariner fans tend to be cerebral.
    Ya. It's been obvious for some time that you consider yourself to be more cerebral than we Sox fans are. And more of an asshole at times, too!
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by S5Dewey View Post
    Ya. It's been obvious for some time that you consider yourself to be more cerebral than we Sox fans are. And more of an asshole at times, too!
    Was that necessary?

Diverse opinions are welcome here.

Was that necessary?

Diverse opinions are welcome here.
    Ya. I should have deleted that part and just let the first part stand.
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

Legend
    It's all good.

Or just added “or not”.
    Like this:
    Our resident mariners fan can be an asshole.
    Or not.
    other names i have posted under: none

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Every sports fan is on their own personal trip. You do see mob behavior, but when you come on a message board like this you see that other fans all have their own personal perspective. That's why we argue so much LOL

I admit to deriving great satisfaction from the Red Sox run of championships. My profile as a sports fan is pretty simple. The Red Sox are the only sports team I have cared about long-term. Favorite teams in other sports were all short-term. And I was a Red Sox fan for 35 years before seeing them win a title. I was 48 years old before knowing what it was like to have my team win a championship.

It was quite a relief.
    Nice.

The Sox have always been way ahead of my other sport teams' following.

I used to score the games by radio or try to watch them on my TV set on UHF Channel 38 all the way from Portland, Me.

I was a kid in Milwaukee during the Packer and Bucks championships, and they still have a place in my heart but no where near the Sox.

I played fantasy football for 3 years and won twice. They booted me out of the league by changing it to postal workers only. I think I lost my extreme love of the Packers while rooting for Emmit Smith and Gud Frerotte to score, score, score... The Pack and Bucks sucked for many years, but they've had their moments in the sun or partial shade.

I admit I've channeled much of my OCD tendencies to one thing:

The Boston Redsox!

RIP Pumpsie Green.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Nice.

The Sox have always been way ahead of my other sport teams' following.

I used to score the games by radio or try to watch them on my TV set on UHF Channel 38 all the way from Portland, Me.

I was a kid in Milwaukee during the Packer and Bucks championships, and they still have a place in my heart but no where near the Sox.

I played fantasy football for 3 years and won twice. They booted me out of the league by changing it to postal workers only. I think I lost my extreme love of the Packers while rooting for Emmit Smith and Gud Frerotte to score, score, score... The Pack and Bucks sucked for many years, but they've had their moments in the sun or partial shade.

I admit I've channeled much of my OCD tendencies to one thing:

The Boston Redsox!

I think you're older than I am, but not by much. I grew up a few miles n. of you, and channel 38 almost never came in. So yes, it was Curt Gowdy on the radio. I too would score games, but my OCD brother, an early sabermetrician, developed a method of scoring (or heard of it?) and scored each game for a whole year using it. (And ditto on Pumpsie. It's a shameful reminder of the racism in New England that the RS were the last team of the big three sports to integrate [except for the still loathsome team from D.C. in the NFL]. I believe the Bruins had a black player before the RS did.)

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    Or just added “or not”.
    Like this:
    Our resident mariners fan can be an asshole.
    Or not.
    [mic drop]