Register now to remove this ad

Page 43 of 43 FirstFirst ... 33414243
Results 631 to 643 of 643

Thread: 6/29, New York and Boston in London, 1:10 pm

  1. #631
    Quote Originally Posted by TylerD View Post
    With this loss we are 3 games out of. A playoff spot. Tomorrow could be 4. This team is going nowhere.
    There is no getting around the fact that the pitching stunk to high heavens today. Maybe they will get a hold of themselves tomorrow. I read that Bogey left the game with a leg injury. That is a concern. Actually, the offense did pretty well and were in the game at the end despite Cora resting several key players. Vaz, Bogey, Devers, Chavis, JDM and JBJ all did well. Beni still seemed off as did Mookie. Could we rebound from this with a good pitching performance? Sure and that is what I am hoping for.

  2. #632
    Quote Originally Posted by TylerD View Post
    With this loss we are 3 games out of. A playoff spot. Tomorrow could be 4. This team is going nowhere.
    Thatís shockingly close considering how much they have stunked. Any talk of division should be over.

  3. #633
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Optimistic take, Denny.
    Bell , I am normally optimistic. Lately , I have gotten a little too cynical as the season is going the way I was afraid it would . But at least they battled today . Made it interesting if nothing else .

  4. #634
    Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer View Post
    There is no getting around the fact that the pitching stunk to high heavens today. Maybe they will get a hold of themselves tomorrow. I read that Bogey left the game with a leg injury. That is a concern. Actually, the offense did pretty well and were in the game at the end despite Cora resting several key players. Vaz, Bogey, Devers, Chavis, JDM and JBJ all did well. Beni still seemed off as did Mookie. Could we rebound from this with a good pitching performance? Sure and that is what I am hoping for.
    Ya tomorrow scares me. E Rod just isn’t that good and the Yankees are on fire with hitting right now. They look like us from last year. Then we have a series against Toronto who already beat us last time we played them. Offense was awesome today even with players resting. 13 runs should be enough to win a game. Porcello should be ashamed of himself for that performance. This season has been ugly but still a long way to go so who knows.

  5. #635
    Quote Originally Posted by d-money View Post
    That’s shockingly close considering how much they have stunked. Any talk of division should be over.
    Ya sadly I don’t know how we are still in the race. We look flat out horrible lately.

  6. #636
    1st inning took 58 minutes to play. Game took 4 hrs and 42 minutes to play. Ridiculous.

  7. #637
    Chavis Regal all for naught.

  8. #638
    Quote Originally Posted by OH FOY! View Post
    1st inning took 58 minutes to play. Game took 4 hrs and 42 minutes to play. Ridiculous.
    Thatís almost as long as a cricket match.

    In London four years ago I wanted to attend The Ashes cricket match between England and Australia but the scalpers outside the stadium would not come down to my price.😋

  9. #639
    This was not a baseball game. It was a travesty:
    - field surface sucked
    - lighting sucked
    - mound sucked
    - pitching sucked (ours worse than theirs)

    THIS WAS NOT BASEBALL. This was some whacked out version of Manfred-ball.

  10. #640
    A 17-13 final score....what a joke. Two touchdowns and a field goal v two touchdowns and a missed extra point.

    As embarrassed as I have been for MLB these past few years, this is a new low.

  11. #641
    Deity Bellhorn04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Halifax
    Posts
    21,734
    Quote Originally Posted by jung View Post
    A 17-13 final score....what a joke. Two touchdowns and a field goal v two touchdowns and a missed extra point.

    As embarrassed as I have been for MLB these past few years, this is a new low.
    I saw it differently.

    Two touchdowns and a field goal v a touchdown and two field goals.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

  12. #642
    Legend
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Springfield, VA
    Posts
    7,109
    It's already been said, but is maybe worth repeating. Leaving Shawaryn in to give up 8 runs was no doubt a calculation that, after the first two or so--giving the Yankees both a 4 run or so lead and the strong impression of having red hot bats, the game was unwinnable, especially when the Yankees have such a great bullpen. It turned out that leaving Shawaryn in was the one move that did in fact make the game unwinnable and it still required Cora to use four more bullpen arms in a loss.

    As bad as Shawaryn was yesterday, he was still better than Porcello, who got 1 measly out, a hard hit liner to CF, and gave up 6 runs. Shawaryn got 4 outs while giving up 8 runs. The next 4 Sox relievers went 4.2 innings, giving up 1 run.

    I continue to believe that the Sox real problem is with the high-priced rotation. Sale, Price, Eovaldi, ERod, and Porcello are currently being paid $88M--and this is Sale's last "bargain" year at $15M. None of them can be considered reliable, and ERod and Porcello, with ERA's slightly below and above 5.00, are especially unreliable. Just a personal opinion, based on my memory of what made Sand Koufax so great, is that none of our starters has a pitch that breaks sharply downward. Sale, Price, and ERod all depend on fastballs primarily, but will mix in changeups and sliders, which I think break more side to side than up and down. Same for the cut fastballs. Roger Clemens cheated, but he also developed a splitter late in his career which extended it (along with the steroids or whatever).

  13. #643
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    It's already been said, but is maybe worth repeating. Leaving Shawaryn in to give up 8 runs was no doubt a calculation that, after the first two or so--giving the Yankees both a 4 run or so lead and the strong impression of having red hot bats, the game was unwinnable, especially when the Yankees have such a great bullpen. It turned out that leaving Shawaryn in was the one move that did in fact make the game unwinnable and it still required Cora to use four more bullpen arms in a loss.

    As bad as Shawaryn was yesterday, he was still better than Porcello, who got 1 measly out, a hard hit liner to CF, and gave up 6 runs. Shawaryn got 4 outs while giving up 8 runs. The next 4 Sox relievers went 4.2 innings, giving up 1 run.

    I continue to believe that the Sox real problem is with the high-priced rotation. Sale, Price, Eovaldi, ERod, and Porcello are currently being paid $88M--and this is Sale's last "bargain" year at $15M. None of them can be considered reliable, and ERod and Porcello, with ERA's slightly below and above 5.00, are especially unreliable. Just a personal opinion, based on my memory of what made Sand Koufax so great, is that none of our starters has a pitch that breaks sharply downward. Sale, Price, and ERod all depend on fastballs primarily, but will mix in changeups and sliders, which I think break more side to side than up and down. Same for the cut fastballs. Roger Clemens cheated, but he also developed a splitter late in his career which extended it (along with the steroids or whatever).
    Max, the problem with the rotation was created by Cora's ill-advised dumb Spring Training approach. Lately, Price and Sale have been fine and so has ERod. We have no #5 due to injury and lack of depth, and Porcello has been Porcello -- a 4.50 ERA pitchers who will eat innings and throw an occasional gem. The Yankees lineup is just far superior. DD made the mistake of standing pat and keeping Pearce. LeMahieu was available to us and we had a hole at 2B. Even if Pedey came back, Lemahieu could play 1st or 3rd. The guy was a batting champion and no one except Cashman appreciated what he brings to the table.

    Going forward, the glaring weakness is the suck ass bullpen which imo will make it very difficult to get on a meaningful and needed winning streak. The games are just not safe at all after the 7th inning.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

    Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    It's the bullpen, stupid.

    Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Unlike hot streaks and clutch, the ďCliffĒ is a myth. It canít be defined, and itís future existence cannot be proved.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •