Register now to remove this ad

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Eovaldi to be closer

Interesting because the Sox had made it clear that they wanted him to start , and he said he wanted to start . But I think this is a good move . I like this a lot . If it works out it can help stabilize the whole bullpen . And the fewer innings pitched could help keep Eovaldi healthy . Obviously , we will need a fifth starter unless we go the " opener " route . But I do like this a lot . Could be just what the doctor ordered .

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by dgalehouse View Post
    Interesting because the Sox had made it clear that they wanted him to start , and he said he wanted to start . But I think this is a good move . I like this a lot . If it works out it can help stabilize the whole bullpen . And the fewer innings pitched could help keep Eovaldi healthy . Obviously , we will need a fifth starter unless we go the " opener " route . But I do like this a lot . Could be just what the doctor ordered .
    I really hope the Sox don’t do the opener thing.

Right now the main purpose of their rotation should be to keep the bullpen off the mound...

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    In fact other teams stopped doing it a long time ago...
    Make Closing Great Again!
    other names i have posted under: none

While I prefer that idea, can he physically handle it? Even knuckle ballers have to have some stamina in their arm and shoulder...
    plus if he's starting he wont be available to pinch run.....
    other names i have posted under: none

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    Make Closing Great Again!
    Trevor Kelley was called up today.

He could be a real shot in the arm for this bullpen, meaning he could be painful and not enjoyed by anyone. Also make small children cry.

Or not...

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    plus if he's starting he wont be available to pinch run.....
    Actually he would. He was a starter then, having throw a 9 IP shutout the day before...

While I prefer that idea, can he physically handle it? Even knuckle ballers have to have some stamina in their arm and shoulder...
    ...and Wright throws one of the hardest knuckleballs ever thrown.

I'd stick with Johnson until he shows he can't do it. Use Wright and Velazquez in all to often needed long relief roles.

I'm not sure about Walden's usage going forward. Maybe only pitch him in low leverage situations to see if he can snap out of this funk.

Barnes may need a 10 day IL stint. He needs to be watched closely and not used in high leverage until he shows improvement.

We could really use Hembree, but I fear he is done for 2019.

Brewer has done well, of late, so I ride the hot arm for as long as we can. He's my second set-up man to Workman.

Brasier looks to be doing better, but he needs to be moved up slowly.

Closer: Eovaldi
    Top Set-up: Workman & Brewer
    7th inning: Brasier & ______(trade acquisition)
    5th & 6th: Wright, Velazquez
    Scrub duty (for now): Barnes or Walden (maybe Smith)
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

This rotation worries me. If Porcello doesn’t stay in Boston next year that’s two starters we will need.

Looking at the facts, this move could work it out and turn into a win-win situation for the Sox beyond the paycheck of Evaldi.

The Sox are clogged in their payroll.
    JH is not planning to add more payroll.
    Nathan has an injury-prone arm.
    We don't have a closer.
    Nathan has proven to pitch well in high-leverage situations.
    We don't have top prospects to trade for elite BP arms.
    We can BP every five day —Johnson-Velazquez-Wright

Said that, Eovaldi at closing is a prudent move considering the facts.
    Tiburones Rojos de Veracruz & Boston Red Sox

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    In the words of Don Corleone when he slaps a crying Johnny Fontaine: "Act like a man!" No, offense ladies.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by iortiz View Post
    Looking at the facts, this move could work it out and turn into a win-win situation for the Sox beyond the paycheck of Evaldi.

The Sox are clogged in their payroll.
    JH is not planning to add more payroll.
    Nathan has an injury-prone arm.
    We don't have a closer.
    Nathan has proven to pitch well in high-leverage situations.
    We don't have top prospects to trade for elite BP arms.
    We can BP every five day —Johnson-Velazquez-Wright

Said that, Eovaldi at closing is a prudent move considering the facts.
    The “bullpen every fifth day” is s bad, Bad, BAD idea.

The pen has been overworked and has underperformed. The idea should NOT be to try and get more innings out of them...

The “bullpen every fifth day” is s bad, Bad, BAD idea.

The pen has been overworked and has underperformed. The idea should NOT be to try and get more innings out of them...
    I'm saying using only Velazquez, Johnson and Wright (1-6,7 IP) every fifth day. Wonder what's the record with Johnson and Velazquez starting.

Given the circumstances putting Eovaldi at closing could give us more chances to win more games in the second half.

Also we are going to need Beni's and Betts' bats badly. Without them, it won't matter what you do in the BP.
    Tiburones Rojos de Veracruz & Boston Red Sox

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    In the words of Don Corleone when he slaps a crying Johnny Fontaine: "Act like a man!" No, offense ladies.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by iortiz View Post

Also we are going to need Beni's and Betts' bats badly. Without them, it won't matter what you do in the BP.
    The Sox are third in MLB at 5.51 R/G, behind only theYankees and Twins, while getting subpar production from Betts and Benintendi. Certainly it would be great if both could turn it around, but the season doesn’t depend on it...

Your offense isn't the main culprit here. What I have noticed about your offense this year is the lack of tack on runs. The sox will jump ahead of someone then go silent for the game. Last year, your team would jump ahead, then start fenceposting the other team until they gave up. Now, they'll drop a 5 spot through 2 innings then go silent
    Hal sucks

It makes some sense; at this point to start he’s going to have to ramp up ala normal spring training. That’ll take 5-6 weeks and I don't think they have that kind of time.
    The Yankees could go 0-162 and it wouldn't be enough

Quote Originally Posted by TylerD View Post
    This rotation worries me. If Porcello doesn’t stay in Boston next year that’s two starters we will need.
    If he stays, we may need 3.

When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?