Register now to remove this ad

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: The Starting Rotation Performance Thread

Legend
    Only July. For E-Rod.
    June 4.38 ERA with 8 HRS, in 37 innings, 37 hits.
    Had a heck of July though.
    First half up to July 4.65 ERA. 102 innings 106 hits, very few Aces give up more hits, then innings pitched.
    I put this up there to compare the other Pitchers, on innings pitched to hits allowed, and ERA.
    http://www.espn.com/mlb/stats/pitching/_/order/false

For me E-Rod is pretty easy to figure out if he has it that day, goes 3-2 non-stop that day, expect a long day. He attacks the strike zone he's on. Consistency like the Month of July is what your looking for. Lets see if he continues.
    Last edited by OH FOY!; 07-31-2019 at 07:01 AM.

For what it's worth, I cut David Price some slack for not making it through the fifth last night. It was and continues to be brutally hot & humid in Boston. I think it would be impossible to deliver a quality start in such conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by kenmeister View Post
    For what it's worth, I cut David Price some slack for not making it through the fifth last night. It was and continues to be brutally hot & humid in Boston. I think it would be impossible to deliver a quality start in such conditions.
    Price should be the most well rested SP'er in our rotation. It's on him.

He's been babied all year, and we needed him to step it up.

He stepped down, last night, the same way Sale did in game 4 vs the Yanks.

Our two "aces" have not been our "stoppers."
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Team Record

17-5 with ERod
    13-8 with Porcello
    9-11 with Price
    8-14 with Sale

If I had told you we would be 30-13 in ERod/Porcello starts and that Price and Sale had 42 starts at this point of the season, you'd probably think we'd be on pace for 110 wins this year.

Run support for Price and Sale has been sporadic and lacking, at times, but this is squarely on them.

The pen has not helped, but to me, our top 2 starters have failed us.

The heat and humidity probably play a factor, but last night's game was another in which it took the starter 20+ pitches to get out of the first inning. Even when they don't give up any first inning runs, our starters have a hard time getting out of the first inning with a good pitch count. Obviously, that makes it harder for them to get deep into the games.

Deity
    The heat and humidity in Boston...poor baby. And what excuses does he have for his other hideous starts. Let me guess. There is an independent and disassociated different excuse for every one of them. He makes ERod suddenly look like an innings eater. In fact, they all make ERod look like an innings eater.....EROD for God sake.

This is what Cora said before last night's game:

Cora says he feels that ‘little by Little’ the bullpen has been able to take shape as a result of starters going 6+ innings. Described Workman as having emerged as the guy in the ninth.

This is what he said after last night's game:

We were going to be lined up for everything after that. Those guys have to do the job, too. It’s tough to go right away in the fifth inning with two outs to our guys.

In the last 5 games, we have seen what happens when our starters did their job versus what happens when the starters did not do their job. Cora can't use his pen the way he wants to if the starters don't allow it. Again, the pen can only be as effective as the starters allow them to be.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post

Here is what other team's aces did in their last outing, compared to ours:

Dan Roche 14m

Last outings....
    Verlander 7 IP 2H 0ER
    Bieber 7 IP 9H 2ER
    Syndergaard 7.1 IP 5H 0ER
    Strasburg 7 IP 2H 1ER
    Kershaw 6 IP 3H 2ER
    Lester 7 IP 4H 0ER

Price 4.1 IP 9H 4ER
    Sale 5.1 IP 5H 6ER

#RedSox need their aces to go deeper or acquiring another reliever(s) won’t matter.

It's like I could have tweeted that last sentence myself.

I realize there is a lot of cherry picking in this data, but still. We expect and need Sale and Price to be better, or it won't matter whether we get another reliever or not.

All-Star
    What about tje guys in the field! Including the catcher. They are immune to the heat?

All-Star
    I'm no expert on Sale, but he has lost some velocity. The "juiced ball" has taken some of the movement away from breaking balls. Sale is trying to adjust to these changes. I have faith he will get back on track, but I have no idea how long it may take to do so. I'm hopeful it will happen before October, and maybe he'll finally break the mold of late season decline and be the ace when we need him most.

BTW, Price gets paid more than Sale and is pitching like an ace (for 5 innings/game). ERod has been our true ace for 2+ months.

Maybe we just need Sale to be a solid #3 this year and be a co-ace in 2020 and beyond. (We basically won without him, last year.)

What's the difference between a Solid 1 and a solid 3. A pitcher is done after innings, he's not a starting pitcher (not on my team, anyway!) If this team goes on to playoff berth, it won't be because of Sale OR Price!

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    Here is what other team's aces did in their last outing, compared to ours:

Dan Roche 14m

Last outings....
    Verlander 7 IP 2H 0ER
    Bieber 7 IP 9H 2ER
    Syndergaard 7.1 IP 5H 0ER
    Strasburg 7 IP 2H 1ER
    Kershaw 6 IP 3H 2ER
    Lester 7 IP 4H 0ER

Price 4.1 IP 9H 4ER
    Sale 5.1 IP 5H 6ER

#RedSox need their aces to go deeper or acquiring another reliever(s) won’t matter.

It's like I could have tweeted that last sentence myself.

I realize there is a lot of cherry picking in this data, but still. We expect and need Sale and Price to be better, or it won't matter whether we get another reliever or not.
    I would say that Price is simply not as good as those guys . Most of them anyway . Sale is , or should be , but something is missing with him .

Absofuckinglutely, agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by bosoxmal View Post
    What about tje guys in the field! Including the catcher. They are immune to the heat?
    When you come up to bat, you probably just drank some Gatorade, had a cold compress around your shoulders, and maybe sat near the fan. I think in a hot game, the batter has the advantage over the pitcher, and the longer the inning goes, the bigger that disparity becomes.

Quote Originally Posted by bosoxmal View Post
    What's the difference between a Solid 1 and a solid 3. A pitcher is done after innings, he's not a starting pitcher (not on my team, anyway!) If this team goes on to playoff berth, it won't be because of Sale OR Price!
    A solid 1 goes 6-7 IP allowing 1-2 runs, maybe 3 sometimes.

A solid 3 goes 5-6 IP allowing 2-3 runs, maybe 4 sometimes.