Register now to remove this ad

Page 13 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Trade Deadline Thread

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Anything that can be had for Moreland and Holt isn’t worth the phone call. Not at first.

Sell the other names first. Cashner can be a lower priority as well...
    Of course, you sell the pieces you can get the most for, first, but you are underselling Holt.

Yes, he's been fragile, but he's doing very well and can play many positions.

Moreland is worth nothing right now. I am assuming he shows signs of life by the deadline- if not, then nada.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by S5Dewey View Post
    Why are you so down on Brock Holt?? He has an OPS >.800 and he's a bench player with the ability to play anyplace, all for $3.5M. He's not the reason this team is losing. Offensively and defensively this team is good enough to be in the thick of things. The team is losing because of the pitching staff.
    I'm not down on Brock. My point was that IF we become sellers, he should be traded. He's a FA after this season.

BTW, he's the only guy I mentioned, "we can re-sign him" out of all the names I said we should offer in trade.

Sounds like I value him higher than all the others on my trade list.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    Rebuilding entails having some depth in your farm to hand the reigns over to. There is nobody in that farm system likely to lead the next chapter. Yes, you can deal off some parts, but there’s no way your GM is gonna deal off guys who will actually return something. If you deal off your rentals, you’ll get scraps. Now, deal Mookie? Then you might be talking about something, but that won’t be enough to rejuvenate a farm that has been raped, pillaged and neglected for four years now.

I know you guys think DD has a Chapman deal in him, but that deal was one of many at the time. We had a .300 hitter on his way to 30 homers in Beltran. We had a lock down closer in Chap. We had a shut down reliever in Miller. We dealt all three off for a good return. But we also had Judge, Sanchez, Sevy, Andujar, Montgomery, Bird, and others home grown and MLB ready. This is what you lack. We added to a wave that was coming. There is no wave in The Sox MiLB
    I’ve been on the “Deal Mookie” bandwagon for some time now...

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I'm not down on Brock. My point was that IF we become sellers, he should be traded. He's a FA after this season.

BTW, he's the only guy I mentioned, "we can re-sign him" out of all the names I said we should offer in trade.

I think that we can resign him very cheap. He'll be cheaper than Nunez, and I think he is good value for a couple of more years.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

"Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Deity

At the deadline, the Sox (or any team) areolikely to make 5 or 6 deals. Too much needs to happen too fast. If they really go into Sell Mode, it makes sense to focus on the more valuable and more sought-after trade pieces. Forget about Moreland, Pearce or Holt unless someone else initiates it. Focus on better trade pieces like Betts, Barnes, Porcello, and Hembree. And maybe Bradley..,

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    Guys, you keep talking about rebuilding. You cannot rebuild. DD traded everything in the minors not nailed down. Your farm is 30th in baseball and the gap from 29 to 30 is wide. I read a recent report on the Sox minor league system that essentially said the talent pool is thin and the upper level prospects are flawed. DD has decimated your farm. When you go to Portland, the earth is salted and the land scorched to the ground with the smoke still apparent. Rebuilding entails a minor league system you plan to hand the reigns to. That doesn’t exist in Boston. DD’s drafts have been horrible. His lack of presence in the DR or IFA realm is puzzling. His penchant for dealing anyone in the minors with the pulse is still going. He sold out for this window. He got the title, so it was worth it. But the cliff is coming and no way DD pushes his team off of it. He’s gonna prop up the mountain as high as he can and the fall will be long and deep
    You start a rebuild be deciding to suck for a year or 1.3 years (or more for "other teams"). We sell players under team control for 1.3 years or less and maybe others that look like they may not be helpful in 2021 and beyond. I realize we will not get anywhere near the haul you guys got in your sell-off, but it's a start.

The next big step is to reset the tax this winter. We get a half way decent draft pick this year, due to finishing in the middle this year and maybe below middle next year.

When the 2021 season comes, we'll be able to spend large to fill the many holes. We'll have a few prospects nearing or at ML readiness. It may take longer or much longer than 1.3 years, but we can possibly get back to respectability by 2021 by being a top spender, again- a luxury many rebuilding teams don't have or use.

We could have a core of these players for 2021:
    Bogey
    Devers
    ERod
    Vaz
    Barnes
    Maybe JD, Betts and/or Workman (Holt?)
    Probably Price & Sale
    Chavis, Taylor & Marco
    Prospects obtained in trades plus maybe some from Dalbec, Chatham, Duran, DHern, Houk, Feltman, Houk, Ward, Shugart, Lakins, Scherff or Ockimey

I realize, we'll need a lot of FAs to fill all the holes, but our budget will be lower and the end of Pedey's deal will be in sight by 2021 and the reset budget tax.

I think that we can resign him very cheap. He'll be cheaper than Nunez, and I think he is good value for a couple of more years.
    I agree, and I'd like to tell him we want him back before and during trading him this summer.

He'd be a nice piece to a contender in need of bench strengthening.

Deity
    Holt hits to the opposite field. He hits breaking stuff in an environment where pitchers are obviously now throwing more breaking and off speed stuff. He is without question one of the most professional baseball player's in this current crop of modern MLB players. If the Sox think its a pack it in 2020, he probably would be worth trading as much as I would hate to see him go. If somebody made me an offer that was just much more value coming back for Holt, I would very likely have to take them up on that.

You aren't gonna get "just as much value" coming back. The hope would be that you get a package of prospects you could dream on. You won't get a blue chipper for him, but if I were Dave, I would be diving deep. You can get some really good prospects if you decide to deal for players in the short season leagues. The closer the proximity, the less of a return
    Hal sucks

Quote Originally Posted by jung View Post
    Holt hits to the opposite field. He hits breaking stuff in an environment where pitchers are obviously now throwing more breaking and off speed stuff. He is without question one of the most professional baseball player's in this current crop of modern MLB players. If the Sox think its a pack it in 2020, he probably would be worth trading as much as I would hate to see him go. If somebody made me an offer that was just much more value coming back for Holt, I would very likely have to take them up on that.
    Assuming we become sellers, I'd trade him for the best offer and then try to re-sign him next winter.

While it is certainly disappointing for a 119 win , world championship team to be reduced to chasing a wild card spot the following year , that is the current situation. However , it is not reason to throw in the towel and just give up . We all should know that, in the post season , anything can happen. A team can get hot and / or lucky and win it all . Just have to get there first . The next two weeks will tell a lot . Don't start liquidating just yet .

Quote Originally Posted by dgalehouse View Post
    While it is certainly disappointing for a 119 win , world championship team to be reduced to chasing a wild card spot the following year , that is the current situation. However , it is not reason to throw in the towel and just give up . We all should know that, in the post season , anything can happen. A team can get hot and / or lucky and win it all . Just have to get there first . The next two weeks will tell a lot . Don't start liquidating just yet .
    I've not given up. In fact, I think we should make 1-2 trades right now to get better (2 solid RP'ers).

However, we can't just decide on July 30th to sell. We need to put out feelers now, just in case.

Plan to win this year, but also plan to sell off, if we look hapless over the next 2 weeks.

I agree, and I'd like to tell him we want him back before and during trading him this summer.

He'd be a nice piece to a contender in need of bench strengthening.
    Once he packs up and goes somewhere else and finds out that other cities have more to offer with less traffic, he may not want to come back.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

"Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Deity
    Once he packs up and goes somewhere else and finds out that other cities have more to offer with less traffic, he may not want to come back.
    Then we’ll trade him to Detroit.

Then we’ll trade him to Detroit.
    Cleveland or Oakland might be more likely.