Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 48 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Trade Deadline Thread

Hybrid View

2019 Trade Deadline Thread

Rumors are starting to fly as the beat writers need to meet deadlines and the bore of the ASG is in full force. There are about 7 teams right now completely out of it and by the deadline there will definitely be more. The strange rumors coming out of Cleveland make me wonder about their viability and whether they think they are real contenders. The rumors out of TB are also strange. Both teams seem less inclined to go for it if there is only a reasonable shot at a WC berth. Both teams seem to be shifting their model based on the division. The Indians start out the post ASB run with a 3 gamer vs the Twins and are 5.5 back. If they get swept, they are likely to sell Trevor Bauer for now assets to add to their putrid outfield. The Yanks and Astros are heavily in on Bauer with the Astros having more weapons to deal. Bauer is a FA after 2020, so he comes with a second year of control.

The Rays have said they are not going to aggressively add if the only real chance they have is for a WC berth. They have a ton of MiLB talent and a pretty good MLB club who is already in a WC slot right now, so it would be weird to see a playoff team not add because they have a 1 game playoff in their future.

The Yanks have been talking to Toronto about Stroman and even a Stroman-Giles package. No word on if the two teams would be willing to consummate a bigger deal than the Happ deal recently done last yr. The last thing the Yanks would want is to send real prospects north of the border and have them beat us in the next couple seasons, but it is a possibility.

The Sox are casting a "wide net" for starter and relievers with the sox currently setting their sights on Wheeler from the Mets. Wheeler finished 2018 on a roll and is gaining momentum again as a potential high end starter. He is a rental, so his price would be lower, but in an arms race, he has the best one. He was regularly hitting 99mph against the Yanks when he shut down their potent offense
    Hal sucks

Newest rumor is the Yanks are “interested” in Robby Ray. Not worth it, IMO. He’s a 5IP pitcher who K’s a lot of guys. He’s only a good add I’d he doesn’t cost anything substantial

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    Newest rumor is the Yanks are “interested” in Robby Ray. Not worth it, IMO. He’s a 5IP pitcher who K’s a lot of guys. He’s only a good add I’d he doesn’t cost anything substantial
    Sounds to me like the Yanks are going cheap, if Ray is their focus.
    * Didn't know he was that young. Walking a lot of batters this year, that is not his norm. Last year pretty high too.
    Last edited by OH FOY!; 07-09-2019 at 08:28 AM.

There are lots of names being mentioned already, and some teams may decide to be sellers in the next few weeks.

Even teams like Cleveland were reportedly looking to trade Kluber, Carrasco or Bauer- knowing they had a shot at winning their weak division.

Here are just some names I've heard:

Scherzer
    de Grom
    Syndergaard
    Kulber
    Bumgarner
    Bauer & Carrasco
    Stroman
    M Boyd
    John Means
    Caleb Smith
    Wheeler
    Leake
    Cashner
    Aaron Sanchez
    Dylan Bundy

I'm sure there are more as of right now, and will be even more added to this list in the next few weeks.
    Sox 4 Ever

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    There are lots of names being mentioned already, and some teams may decide to be sellers in the next few weeks.

Even teams like Cleveland were reportedly looking to trade Kluber, Carrasco or Bauer- knowing they had a shot at winning their weak division.

Here are just some names I've heard:

Scherzer
    de Grom
    Syndergaard
    Kulber
    Bumgarner
    Bauer & Carrasco
    Stroman
    M Boyd
    John Means
    Caleb Smith
    Wheeler
    Leake
    Cashner
    Aaron Sanchez
    Dylan Bundy

I'm sure there are more as of right now, and will be even more added to this list in the next few weeks.
    Scherzer will only be available if the Nats fall out again, and to be honest, I doubt they shop him. I would think they'd shop Strasburg since he can opt out of his deal in the offseason if they fall out of contention

The Mets aren't dealing deGrom with their maniac GM in place. He was deGrom's agent previously and then gave him the deal he wanted. I anticipate Brodie is gonna get canned in the offseason and deGrom will be moved

Syndergaard is making the rounds right now, but I seriously doubt you deal for him, or anyone does for that matter. His stuff is down and you don't deal guys like him when their stock is down

Kluber is recovering from a broken arm. I doubt you see him moved until he is at the top of his game and that wont come this year

Bumgarner is moving. His average FB velo is back to his baseline and he is starting to pitch like himself again, but he is a rental and I am reticent to pay the price for 2015 Bumgarner getting 2019 Bumgarner production

Bauer may move, but its gonna take a lot of prospects to move him. No way Carlos is moved with leukemia and not being on the mound

Stroman should move, although the Jays could wait into the offseason if they wanted to.

I doubt Boyd moves. He has a lot more control to him and he is one small step away from becoming an ace. Unless someone overpays, he stays in the Motor City\

John Means isn't moving. No rumors to that effect exist and considering the possibility is just dumb

Caleb Smith is unlikely to move. He is an older pre arb player, but he's a guy they should build around.

Wheeler will be dealt. His stuff is supreme, his execution not so much. He will be an interesting guy to gauge the market on since his production doesn't signal a big return, but his stuff and how he finished last year does

Leake was almost moved, but he stinks. Big HR rates in Safeco, no thank you. Plus, he has a big contract

Cashner likely has never been hotter. He is definitely moved, but the O's will hold out for a big return

Aaron Sanchez has been dreadful and hurt again. He is a candidate for being dealt next deadline if they Jays can prop him up as something more than a guy to dream on

Bundy is a weird case too. He doesn't have the big fastball anymore and gives up a ton of bombs. He's a NL guy, IMO, someone who can be a 5th starter
    Hal sucks

Scherzer will only be available if the Nats fall out again, and to be honest, I doubt they shop him. I would think they'd shop Strasburg since he can opt out of his deal in the offseason if they fall out of contention

The Mets aren't dealing deGrom with their maniac GM in place. He was deGrom's agent previously and then gave him the deal he wanted. I anticipate Brodie is gonna get canned in the offseason and deGrom will be moved

Syndergaard is making the rounds right now, but I seriously doubt you deal for him, or anyone does for that matter. His stuff is down and you don't deal guys like him when their stock is down

Kluber is recovering from a broken arm. I doubt you see him moved until he is at the top of his game and that wont come this year

Bumgarner is moving. His average FB velo is back to his baseline and he is starting to pitch like himself again, but he is a rental and I am reticent to pay the price for 2015 Bumgarner getting 2019 Bumgarner production

Bauer may move, but its gonna take a lot of prospects to move him. No way Carlos is moved with leukemia and not being on the mound

Stroman should move, although the Jays could wait into the offseason if they wanted to.

I doubt Boyd moves. He has a lot more control to him and he is one small step away from becoming an ace. Unless someone overpays, he stays in the Motor City\

John Means isn't moving. No rumors to that effect exist and considering the possibility is just dumb

Caleb Smith is unlikely to move. He is an older pre arb player, but he's a guy they should build around.

Wheeler will be dealt. His stuff is supreme, his execution not so much. He will be an interesting guy to gauge the market on since his production doesn't signal a big return, but his stuff and how he finished last year does

Leake was almost moved, but he stinks. Big HR rates in Safeco, no thank you. Plus, he has a big contract

Cashner likely has never been hotter. He is definitely moved, but the O's will hold out for a big return

Aaron Sanchez has been dreadful and hurt again. He is a candidate for being dealt next deadline if they Jays can prop him up as something more than a guy to dream on

Bundy is a weird case too. He doesn't have the big fastball anymore and gives up a ton of bombs. He's a NL guy, IMO, someone who can be a 5th starter
    Good summary. I think you are pretty accurate on this.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Hey Bud Thankyou for starting this thread !!

Everyone is their focus. I’ve seen them “heavily involved” in Stroman, Ray, and Bauer. I’m not seeing them involved in Bumgarner, which is fine by me unless he starts going on a run

Legend
    I worry about Stroman and Giles, especially if Giles has really found himself again. That makes your BP even stronger, for a guy like Stroman and your staff. Seems like 6 innings is what you get nowadays, you absolutely need a long and strong BP.

Deity
    With the Yankee bullpen, a “5IP Pitcher” like Ray wouldn’t be a big detriment.

But AZ is still in the thick of the WC hunt, so you have to give up enough to make them walk away.

Or take Greinke or Tomas from them to make it worth their while...

With the Yankee bullpen, a “5IP Pitcher” like Ray wouldn’t be a big detriment.

But AZ is still in the thick of the WC hunt, so you have to give up enough to make them walk away.

Or take Greinke or Tomas from them to make it worth their while...
    If you go out and get Ray, you're getting him for 2019 and 2020. I don't know what our pen looks like in 2020. Chapman can opt out. Betances (granted, on the IL) will likely be gone. It is still a good pen, but losing that closer and asking a guy like Britton to close isn't going to give the same result. Britton has lost the ability to strike guys out. Now, he is a very effective reliever as he gets a ton of GB's, but when a guy needs a K as a closer, Britton isn't your guy
    Hal sucks

Here's a pretty fun tool that lets you come up with trade scenarios using derived trade values for every player: https://www.baseballtradevalues.com/trade-simulator/

Based on this Wheeler would cost the Sox something like Casas and Lakins; and Roobie Ray would cost the Yanks something like Clint Frazier and Garrett Whitlock

If anything this should at least help dispel the idea that you can trade all of your scrubs away to get a good player.

Quote Originally Posted by bkzwhitestrican View Post
    Here's a pretty fun tool that lets you come up with trade scenarios using derived trade values for every player: https://www.baseballtradevalues.com/trade-simulator/

Based on this Wheeler would cost the Sox something like Casas and Lakins; and Roobie Ray would cost the Yanks something like Clint Frazier and Garrett Whitlock

If anything this should at least help dispel the idea that you can trade all of your scrubs away to get a good player.
    We'll see. I still think there will be more pitchers available than needed, and the prices will be low on some decent pitchers.
    Sox 4 Ever

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    We'll see. I still think there will be more pitchers available than needed, and the prices will be low on some decent pitchers.
    With the entire NL except Miami within 7 games of a wild card, there may not be as many sellers as you anticipate. Especially since 11 NL teams are within 2.5 games right now...

With the entire NL except Miami within 7 games of a wild card, there may not be as many sellers as you anticipate. Especially since 11 NL teams are within 2.5 games right now...
    The N.L. has done a much better job of maintaining a competitive balance . The A.L. having a number of teams 25 - 30 games behind at the All Star break is terrible . I don't know what the figures are , but I would guess that N.L. attendance is better than A.L. attendance . No wonder .