Register now to remove this ad

Thread: Chapman to "Opt-Out" of his current contract

Chapman to "Opt-Out" of his current contract

He's still owed about 30 millions for the next two years

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ut-of-contract

I believe Cashman will play hard ball with him, probably adding 1 more year on top of his current deal, same AAV. Rumors says he's looking for two more years, I think he will be gone, Cashman has showed some restrain lately on this, just remember Tanaka last offseason, he was in a different situation but looking at him and Kimbrel FA market it's a big gamble for him.

The cliff is real. Better raise a flag this season as that window is closing fast....
    other names i have posted under: none

Kinda surprised to hear considering what went down on the market this offseason. Good thing we have like 4 closers on the team.

Exactly. We have Ottavino, Green, Britton and Kahnle under contract for next year with a bevy of other high velo guys in the AAA level. Chapman is a great closer, but we can replace him internally if needed. My guess is Chapman tacks a year on with a vesting option for a fourth

I also wonder if we use Betances’ situation to bring him back on a one year deal to prove his worth. That might be enough to let Chap walk

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    Exactly. We have Ottavino, Green, Britton and Kahnle under contract for next year with a bevy of other high velo guys in the AAA level. Chapman is a great closer, but we can replace him internally if needed. My guess is Chapman tacks a year on with a vesting option for a fourth
    you're probably right, Cashman has shown that he's not afraid to let guys walk, he will bring him back if he's comfortable with the conditions.

we need to remember that Chapman is not the force that he used to be, he's no longer averaging 101-102 MPH with his fastball he's in the 98-99 MPH range now, still elite, but the obvious decline is coming he might be ok for the next two season, not sure for how much longer.