Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bauer to Reds in 3 team trade

Bauer to Reds in 3 team trade

The Indians got a nice return picking up Allen, V.Nova, Puig (rental), S.Moss, and F.Reyes. I don't understand why the Padres would do this--I guess they really like T.Trammell who is talented but not producing in AA. Trammell is young, though (21), and ranked as a top prospect.

I wonder if this trade takes the Padres out of the N.Syndegaard sweepstakes or does it position them to better trade for Syndegaard?
    Last edited by Fan_since_Boggs; 07-30-2019 at 10:27 PM.

According to Joe Giardi on MLB Network, the Reds acquired Bauer in order to trade him and he thinks he might be traded tomorrow. Is there hope for the Yankees after all?

Can the Yankees get Bauer from the Reds for Frazier OR Andujar along with L.Gil? I think the Yankees would agree to that trade.

The Indians got a NICE haul here. They were worried about their OF production and they add two mashers to their OF. Puig’s numbers this year are tamped down by an awful start, but he’s been crushing it for the past 3 months. Reyes is a light tower power stud who is controllable beyond Bauer’s time. Allen has struggled in his first taste of the bigs, but he’s a top 100 prospect. He lands in a very soft spot for him, in a place that has a great track record of developing pitching talent. I don’t know much about Nova, but he is irrelevant here. It sounds like the Indians were done with Bauer’s antics and must be reasonable assured that Carrasco and Kluber were returning.

The Padres get a top 20 prospect to add to their stable of amazing prospects. They gave up a lot in Reyes and Allen, but they must love Trammel who’s scuffling in AA but is young and has a 5 tool arsenal. The Padres, interestingly enough, take on the most risk here by dealing an established power hitter with years of control and a top 100 prospect. Trammel needs to become great to offset their losses here, unless the Pads think they’re selling high on Reyes.

The Reds get Bauer and gave up a top 20 prospect plus a rental in Puig. I have to imagine that they thought they could get more from Bauer flipping him themselves. Maybe their deal with NY for Gray gave them some inside info on the Yankee system? Dealing Andujar to the Reds makes little sense with the CIF positions locked for years. Maybe they’re looking at Frazier plus? Not sure. Or do they think they can add Bauer to a rotation that includes Gray and Castillo and make a run in 2020? Maybe they think they can move Bauer to the Astros?

I’m not sure about their motivation, but this deadline took a weird turn with the best starters moving to non-contenders maybe due to their extra year of team control?

Deity
    The Padres might be starting to see a roster crunch with their 40 man and might soon want to add other elite prospects, possibly Gore and Urias. Consolidating two 40 man players into one highly ranked non-40 man prospect gives them some flexibility.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    The Indians got a NICE haul here. They were worried about their OF production and they add two mashers to their OF. Puig’s numbers this year are tamped down by an awful start, but he’s been crushing it for the past 3 months. Reyes is a light tower power stud who is controllable beyond Bauer’s time. Allen has struggled in his first taste of the bigs, but he’s a top 100 prospect. He lands in a very soft spot for him, in a place that has a great track record of developing pitching talent. I don’t know much about Nova, but he is irrelevant here. It sounds like the Indians were done with Bauer’s antics and must be reasonable assured that Carrasco and Kluber were returning.

The Padres get a top 20 prospect to add to their stable of amazing prospects. They gave up a lot in Reyes and Allen, but they must love Trammel who’s scuffling in AA but is young and has a 5 tool arsenal. The Padres, interestingly enough, take on the most risk here by dealing an established power hitter with years of control and a top 100 prospect. Trammel needs to become great to offset their losses here, unless the Pads think they’re selling high on Reyes.

The Reds get Bauer and gave up a top 20 prospect plus a rental in Puig. I have to imagine that they thought they could get more from Bauer flipping him themselves. Maybe their deal with NY for Gray gave them some inside info on the Yankee system? Dealing Andujar to the Reds makes little sense with the CIF positions locked for years. Maybe they’re looking at Frazier plus? Not sure. Or do they think they can add Bauer to a rotation that includes Gray and Castillo and make a run in 2020? Maybe they think they can move Bauer to the Astros?

I’m not sure about their motivation, but this deadline took a weird turn with the best starters moving to non-contenders maybe due to their extra year of team control?
    The Reds have openly admitted they struggle trying to attract free agent pitchers to come to their nightmarish ballpark with short fences and on-field temperatures that exceed 110 degrees Fahrenheit. They paid heavily to get Gray. They paid heavily to get Alex Wood. And now they paid heavily to get Bauer.

This is a dead year for them, but a 2020 rotation headlined by Bauer, Castillo and Gray is a great start for next season...

Deity
    This is already a bizarre deadline.

The first two big trades involved the bigger starting pitcher names available going to non-contenders. Rumors continue about another (Syndergaard) going to a third non-contender in San Diego.

Will any teams actually in contention make a move? So far the action has been dominated by the also-rans...

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    This is already a bizarre deadline.

The first two big trades involved the bigger starting pitcher names available going to non-contenders. Rumors continue about another (Syndergaard) going to a third non-contender in San Diego.

Will any teams actually in contention make a move? So far the action has been dominated by the also-rans...
    It has been bizarre. I only have 2 hopes: 1) We get a reliever; 2) Yankee fans are really pissed off at the end of the day.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Deity
    I think the Yankees land Ray or Boyd. I’m sticking to the Sox getting Lynn. Dombrowski likes starting pitching and really, that’s the team’s biggest need. Adding a reliever would just be another arm getting burned out by SP continuing to fail to get out of the fifth inning.

I think the Yankees land Ray or Boyd. I’m sticking to the Sox getting Lynn. Dombrowski likes starting pitching and really, that’s the team’s biggest need. Adding a reliever would just be another arm getting burned out by SP continuing to fail to get out of the fifth inning.
    Which Sox starter gets demoted to the pen to get "burned out?"
    Sox 4 Ever

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Which Sox starter gets demoted to the pen to get "burned out?"
    Cashner.

Cashner.
    How is "burning out" Cashner as a RP'er any different than just trading for a RP'er?

Who can we get that is better than Cashner, and how much will we give up?

Sox 4 Ever

I doubt they get Boyd, rumors are that Mets (Thor), Jays (Stroman) and Tigers (Boyd) are/were asking for Torres in return, that's not going to happen, not sure of the asking price for Ray, but it shouldn't be that high; this is a seller market, specially with SP, they can ask for the moon if they want, the other team is the one with the urgency.

Quote Originally Posted by Carpin View Post
    I doubt they get Boyd, rumors are that Mets (Thor), Jays (Stroman) and Tigers (Boyd) are/were asking for Torres in return, that's not going to happen, not sure of the asking price for Ray, but it shouldn't be that high; this is a seller market, specially with SP, they can ask for the moon if they want, the other team is the one with the urgency.
    I think the Yankees will go hard for Minor. Or Bumgarner (though I don't know if he's for sale).

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Carpin View Post
    Those pitchers all have multiple years of control. Maybe the Yankees need to dabble in the rental market. Tanner Roark or Zack Wheeler?